Location AoE powers

Hello All

So I would like to talk about location AoE. Some ATs have one while others have five. In this game and the era we are in. Things go much faster. I can understand certain powers using this function, while others not so much. Trick Arrow has I think four that probably don’t need to be location. Same with controller pets. Does the game really need this many location AoE powers and should they be changed to target AoE instead.

I wanted to see how others felt about these types of powers. Should they be changed. Should they stay the same. I feel some of the powers should be switched out of location AoE. 

There are macro commands you can use to execute location AoE powers at a targets location with a single button press. I'll see if I can dig them up for you if someone hasn't before I get to it. But that essentially solves this issue, you can make location AoE powers into Target AoE powers on demand.

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

11 minutes ago, Oysterhead said:

There are macro commands you can use to execute location AoE powers at a targets location with a single button press. I'll see if I can dig them up for you if someone hasn't before I get to it. But that essentially solves this issue, you can make location AoE powers into Target AoE powers on demand.

This. My Trick Arrows especially use these a ton. And you can give the macros any image you want so you can even give Glue Arrow a targeted AoE slow icon. And then I still keep the original powers in the tray too in case I want to set traps (like BAF chokepoints last night) or monitor their recharge.

It may seem frustrating to have to do this workaround, but you have to remember there are things you might want to do with location AoE’s that you can’t do with targeted AoE’s, and it’s better to keep that as an option.

/macro_image "TrickArrow_Slow" "Glue Arrow" "powexec_location target Glue Arrow"

That'll create a new icon button that turns Glue Arrow into a targeted AoE. 

With a broken icon! I could not figure out where to get the icon names, anyone know where there's a list of those? Now fixed icon, thanks arcane!

Sub in other icons and skill names to make them for any other powers.

Edited by Oysterhead
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

9 minutes ago, Oysterhead said:

/macro_image "WhateverTheGlueArrowIconIs" "Glue Arrow" "powexec_location target Glue Arrow"

With a broken icon! I could not figure out where to get the icon names, anyone know where there's a list of those?

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Macro_image_(Slash_Command)

• Like 2

It should be noted that the location based apes when used with a targeting macro can cause effects at the target's x/y/z, so it's kinda cool seeing a ignited OSA above you.

The way it is allows for more functionality because you can fire at a target or essentially lay a trap blocking off an area.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

It should be noted that the location based apes when used with a targeting macro can cause effects at the target's x/y/z, so it's kinda cool seeing a ignited OSA above you.

The way it is allows for more functionality because you can fire at a target or essentially lay a trap blocking off an area.

Also very fun with teleports. Keep one button for travel etc and another where you can just tab target and click and you’re right in the middle of the next mob. Fun to gather up multiple mobs using Jaunt’s 3 charges and long range.

4 hours ago, Oysterhead said:

/macro_image "TrickArrow_Slow" "Glue Arrow" "powexec_location target Glue Arrow"

With a broken icon! I could not figure out where to get the icon names, anyone know where there's a list of those? Now fixed icon, thanks arcane!

Sub in other icons and skill names to make them for any other powers.

I would advise keeping the power somewhere on the tray even with the macro.  The macro won't shrink and show cooldown like the power does.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, ZorkNemesis said:

I would advise keeping the power somewhere on the tray even with the macro.  The macro won't shrink and show cooldown like the power does.

Also, sometimes you might just want to drop it someplace that isn't on a mob.

• Like 1

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.