Thunder/Incandescent Strike Cast Times

Savantir

Thought I'd make a forum post about this for people to discuss. Not entirely sure if it's been mentioned before, but the cast times for Thunder Strike in Electric Melee and Incandescent Strike for Peacebringers is still ridiculously slow and a bit depressing when it either misses or the target dies before you hit. Total Focus for Energy was sped up for every archetype and it's the sole reason I made an Energy Melee Stalker! I'd love to see Thunder/Incandescent Strike sped up as well. What do you all think? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 quick points of order:

1.  I don't think the AoE comparison works -- Thunder Strike is directly competing with End of Time, Thorn Burst, Frozen Aura... etc.  All of which are 2s cast times.
  2. More importantly - It turns out Thunder Strike is using the same 2.533s cast time as Total Focus, etc.

The only fella I see left out in the cold is the Peacebringer, and if you're a human PB up there doing fisticuffs, I think you deserve the 2.5s cast time version.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

13 hours ago, Replacement said:

More importantly - It turns out Thunder Strike is using the same 2.533s cast time as Total Focus, etc.

Are you sure this is true? After double checking in character creation and in-game, Total Focus is marked as having a 2.53s activation/cast time, but both Thunder Strike and Incandescent Strike are marked as still having the 3.30s activation/cast time. Even if they forgot to edit the info, after personally testing each power in-game, Total Focus is noticeably faster than both Thunder and Incandescent Strike. 

13 minutes ago, aethereal said:

I believe thunder strike for blasters and dominators is 2.5 seconds, but thunder strike for the melee classes is 3.3 seconds.  That's what CoD says, anyway.

This would be it.

For some reason, I was only focusing on Blasters.

For Elec Melee, yeah it gets a lot harder to justify buffing with the amount of aoe they have..  There's an argument that 4x aoes isn't that much aoe if two of them are unusably slow, but I don't know that we're at that point.

22 minutes ago, Replacement said:

For Elec Melee, yeah it gets a lot harder to justify buffing with the amount of aoe they have..  There's an argument that 4x aoes isn't that much aoe if two of them are unusably slow, but I don't know that we're at that point.

I think Electric Melee needs Thunderstrike to be good AoE.  I don't know if it's not good AoE at 3.3 seconds, but yes, there are four powers in the set that do AoE, but Lightning Rod can't be all your AoE, it's on a long recharge.  Jacob's Ladder is a bad, narrow cone.  Chain Induction is perfectly fine, but doesn't hit many people.  Thunderstrike needs to be solid.

(It's also weird comparing them to Blasters, as a /elec blaster will very reliably get more than 4 AoE attacks (a cone, a TAoE, and the nuke in their primary, then Thunderstrike and Dynamo in their secondary).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a +1 from me. Both Thunder and Incandescent Strike would be a lot more fun to use if they were sped up like Total Focus. That's the only downside of my Peacebringer, the heavy hitting single target power is too slow. Only thing turning me off of remaking my EM stalker is the speed as well. 

• 1 year later

ive said it before and ill say it again. longer cast times should = bigger damage numbers. Either speed up the cast times or raise the dmg on longer ones to make them worth using. I mean i for one love city of aoes but sometimes i wanna shoryuken something 😁

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

• 9 months later