Godmodding/Over 9000 characters

Neiska

42 minutes ago, Kyksie said:

Don't use Superman and Homelander in the same sentence.

Truth, at least Homelander is a human born of Earth. He is actually entitled to use his powers given him by the minds of other humans to do whatever he may will by the right of being at the top of the food chain of earth based life forms. Superman is a literal alien invader seeking to impose his alien perfection on a world of flawed man animals.

11 minutes ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

I am really curious what exactly is your idea of an ideal random pug RP encounter that is not during actual content running? I myself am not really looking for much beyond momentary amusement in random RP. The only deeper RP story I care about is my toons, and those of friends toons associated with my toons. I am not looking to blend your story with mine unless you have really made a lasting and good impression on me while playing content normally. Then again i also have 0 qualm about putting people I consider bad at RP on ignore rather then suffer their inane babble.

I have had all kinds of roleplay, from normal day to day teaching another super being how to make the perfect meatloaf and program their entertainment center, to visiting a friend in the hospital whom is recovering, to planning a bachlorette party with a friend. Not all rp need be epic in scope. But we have had more important things as well, which also combined as learning the lore for some as we discussed the various wars and invasions over the years, the whole praetoran thing, and more.

So, a bit of everything really. From "how many eggs again?" to "And on that day we set aside our differences as the sun stood still.." and everything inbetween. 

16 minutes ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

I myself am not really looking for much beyond momentary amusement in random RP. The only deeper RP story I care about is my toons, and those of friends toons associated with my toons. I am not looking to blend your story with mine unless you have really made a lasting and good impression on me while playing content normally. Then again i also have 0 qualm about putting people I consider bad at RP on ignore rather then suffer their inane babble.

I'm of this variety myself. I love finding a group that I can befriend and develop story lines with, it makes for a lot of fun. However I try not to blend stories either for the same reason. I've had a few try and end up blocked for making the attempt without talking about it with me privately, or even making an attempt to ask.

• Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

I only do roleplaying while on missions, so the game imposes a limit on godmodding. If we're steamrolling things, we're usually steamrolling things together.

I've been accused of making my characters implausibly weak for a superhero game, which I suppose is the opposite of godmodding. My second-best tanker is an escaped convict whose main powers are ducking and whacking enemies with a garden shovel. Not very super! I'm currently playing a brute who fights with a broom, which is even less super than a shovel. (It's a remarkably sturdy broom.)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bastille Boy said:

I'm currently playing a brute who fights with a broom, which is even less super than a shovel. (It's a remarkably sturdy broom.)

Don't let Granny White hear you say that... She'll thwack you into next week!

(She's also a staff brute who uses the broom. 😆 )

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 9/9/2021 at 1:26 AM, Bastille Boy said:

I've been accused of making my characters implausibly weak for a superhero game, which I suppose is the opposite of godmodding. My second-best tanker is an escaped convict whose main powers are ducking and whacking enemies with a garden shovel. Not very super! I'm currently playing a brute who fights with a broom, which is even less super than a shovel. (It's a remarkably sturdy broom.)

Been there.   I prefer playing characters just starting out in hero'ing, but several of these are incarnate-level in-game, so folk that DO take the "level" seriously in their RP have called me out on that, expecting me to be playing a more seasoned veteran at that level.  I usually reply with some callout to absurd gameplay like, "She was partying at pocket D, only level 1 and some fire tanker invited her to check out Architect Entertainment.  Sounded fun, but she passed out near the door and woke with a killer hangover and 30 missed calls from a 'Mender Ramiel'.  WTF, right?  She tried to explain that it was all just a mistake and he just said, "I get that a lot" and then sent her off on some mission...."

I'd seen so many complaints about godmodding in emote-battle and collaborative stories that when I tried my hand at it, I toned it down a bit too far maybe.   I'd still have skillful characters clearly capable of going toe-to-toe with another, but I avoided any finishing moves, left clear openngs in case my counterpart was not ready for this to end, and tried to telegraph the direction I was taking things in case it was truly counter to their hopes.    The fighting style Klutz-fu can get painfully absurd if you are unknowingly battling another master of klutz-fu, and it can be abused if you have a godmodder that somehow imagines "winning" an emote fight shows OOC prowess, but I still prefer it over being overpowered.

Edited by chase
  • Like 1

I think it's all about who you're playing with, really.

From my point of view, I've never had any problem with the characters people play.   I've often had problems with the ego projecting that some people do through the vehicle of their characters, whether that character is objectively weak or OP or something in between.

The most OP character could still be a lot of fun to interact with if the person playing that character is considerate of others, responds to communication in a manner conducive to everyone involved having a good time and is basically just respectful of everyone else involved on the OOC side.

• 2 weeks later

Powerful characters are one thing.

It is the use of that power that should be considered. If the powerful character is being The Solution to Personal Character Storylines not related to them? That's a problem. If its a character with immense power but has more meat to their bones? That's not a problem. If the character tries to strong arm their way around to show off their epic skills? That could be a problem. Repeat as needed where it might fit.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

This topic amuses me, because last night I created a character that is the most freakin' fun to role-play, ever.

He is a staff/willpower Brute, and his name is Stickbonker. He bonks people with sticks, and he's obsessed with it. When he runs around, he talks to himself in /local constantly. "Green Shirt Lady say I gotta go talk to Doctor Man. What he know about stick bonkin'?" "Man, stick bonkin' in dis city gets complicated." "If at first you don't succeed at stick bonkin', stand closer." "If it bleeds, we can bonk it with sticks. We prob'ly do dat anyway."

It would never occur to me to try to role-play an all-powerful being of any kind.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

It isn't just how OP a character is but often, when they also lack flaws and are 'perfect' in the eyes of the person who made them.  Even if they are just OP in one thing, if they are uninteresting, or tend to just expect everyone to worship them ect, it gets old fast.  In fact, the more used such a character is, the more it reflects on the roleplayer IMO.

The most annoying time I had with someone was when they tried to make my own demi-god like character(this was star trek online btw) even more 'godlike' in there eyes.  They didn't get or understand how I was nerfing them, or how I was making them, ICLy, harder to approach without being annoyed by them.  I was doing those changes for a reason, it was called character development and a character arc.  My character has makes mistakes and HAS made mistakes before, all the time.  At the same time, I prefer the character to still mess up, it allows for plots, allows for people to see them as more than just someone whos overpowered.  He wanted her to be flawless, which is not the point of said character.  The point is that she can be annoying to other characters :D, and they don't always like her, and she makes mistakes of which the consequences of she has to deal with.

Said player also made his own character insanely overpowered, more overpowered than anything I ever made, even the cthulhu like entities I'd sometimes throw into my STO roleplay.  Entities made to pose a major threat to anyone.  And he makes all his own characters to 'perfect' with one another, to much so, with no room for internal conflicts.  His character was nothing but a stand in for his own power fantasy.  and he'd break IC/OOC in the few moments we decided to pvp for craps and giggles(his character was specially built for pvp, I even told him that, and he still let it get to his head).  He rp'd the results when I told him not to.

That same character of mine he tried to change, though, is also often my least played.  My most played in 'that' game is an orion(a mostly normal person often thrown into situations she's certainly not really equipped for).  So onto CoH roleplay(most part).

Another annoying time was when another character of mine was trying to get there humanity back.  Said same roleplayer again tried to 'oh but being human is bad, become 'more'(by changing species to the same as his characters(which is all of them), yeah.......).  Again slowly got annoyed, especially after getting to know the player more found I liked absolutely nothing about him, but the biggest contributing factor at the time of defriending was the bad roleplay habits.  His characters also had a "Oh I'm here to conquer the universe but i'm a good guy" design, it's really just him saying "Oh i'm gonna MASTER this new game to become the best ever!".  Which was majorly off putting to me, he was a munchkin.  I played this game for YEARS and I know there are things I don't know about every power set.

I remember a moment we pvp'd in CoH, I told him not to really rp the results.  I destroyed him pretty badly(dominators afterall tend to beat controllers 1on1), and he still tried to rp it when I told him not to.  I was still annoyed.  I believe in keeping RP and pvp separate, anyone worth there salt in CoH knows how insanely imbalanced the game is, so making rp and pvp results mix would just break rp right there.

It told me he was more interested in 'winning' over others than rp tbh.  Or that his character(a pure support build btw, I even warned his character was NOT the best build for solo play).  That he placed his very characters performance on pvp and in-game exclusively, and also tended to just want to skip to being overpowered at the same time.  I talked with others here and there later(in CoH) and they even had the same conclusion.

Ultimately, his insistence of rping the way he did and trying to change others around him but not allow his own characters to develop with the world, and simultaneously not respect other characters development, and tendency to more-so make his characters overpowered and not really having an IC/ooc line, plus learning more about other things about him I really didn't like, ultimately lead me to defriend him(and even outright despise him later).  None of his characters were interesting and ultimately all the same.  And he seemed to insist everyone elses characters be the same as his.  It was especially bothersome to me.

Edited by LaughingAlex
Small edit on pvp incident 2