Maybe this is a stupid question but (ref av killing)

I-Dirty

Do tanks "solo" AVs and if so do they do it efficiently and if so what specs?

Sorry just saw some stuff on other forums and it tweaked my interest

Why yes I do know what a search feature is. However with the 1000 returns it is hard to dig through all that. So I ask in posts.

They can, but it takes hot damage. Surviving an AV isn't hard for most (all?) tanks, but beating it with raw damage requires a bit of optimization. But once optimization comes in most builds can-ish.

• Like 1

Tight attack chains using the highest DPA attacks backed by solid slotting, often with procs, and layering on more damage and/or debuffs from the incarnate powers. But it's all lies until you can solo a +4 Aeon in the MLTF with no insps, temps or amps!

He always kicks my ass.

/runs away sobbing

• Haha 1

Anyway, yes, some Tankers solo AVs. Some Tankers solo level 54 AVs no temps no insps no amps. Since Tankers are low on the melee damage scale, I wouldn't describe it as "efficiently", and you'll probably need to build specifically for that DPS. I think a high-DPS secondary is probably more important than your primary, but a primary that buffs damage in some way is also helpful. Then build yourself a high-DPS attack chain like Bill says. You also can't completely neglect survivability, but that part's easy on Tankers for most AVs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Here's the question:  has anyone soloed Ghost Widow as a Tanker.

Yes. Her and Sirocco together, level 54, using amps, but not temps or insps. It didn't seem particularly rough, just annoying going for the occasional spin. I'm sure she's doable without amps as well... unless I'm remembering wrong. I'm not going through an MLTF to get to her again, but surely she's in AE...

Edited by Werner

Tried it a couple of times and things were going well, but once the spinning happened it was a no go. Same as with Positron. That one nearly demands something with DDR and a solid slow protection.

1 hour ago, Werner said:

Yes. Her and Sirocco together, level 54, using amps, but not temps or insps. It didn't seem particularly rough, just annoying going for the occasional spin. I'm sure she's doable without amps as well... unless I'm remembering wrong. I'm not going through an MLTF to get to her again, but surely she's in AE...

Huh, can tanks survive the spin?  When I did her as my stalker (using insps), I just burned her down before she landed one on me.  Figured tanks would have a problem with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Yeah, though of course your toggles are suppressed because you're held.  I just thought that the damage from it was above any AT's max hp.

I'm playing a Shield/MA with 3326 hit points. With all toggles suppressed/off, my defenses range from 19% to 24%, but for a little bit I'm at 29% to 34% from Storm Kick. I have click mez protection, so I still have my mez protection, and probably 43% DDR since it's usually double stacked. I have 69% resistance to energy and negative with everything detoggled...?! Huh. And I assume they're even higher for a bit from the stacking of the Tanker ATO, and then higher after taking damage due to Reactive Defenses. I don't think she can kill me without her friends. But I'm not sure I can kill her without her friends either, as I'm using Against All Odds to boost my damage.

Today she was a lot more annoying than I remember. I guess I was either lucky last time, or unlucky this time, but I still took her down. Level 54, using amps, no temps no insps no Lore. And while I can survive the spin, she did kill me with it on my first attempt today, I guess because I'd left enough of the spawn that she and they managed to do enough damage while I was vulnerable. Annoyingly, she was down to about 10% when she finally killed me. Second attempt I ended up running after a spin left me almost dead. Third attempt I left nothing but minions, and was able to survive her spin without it getting too scary. Then it was just a matter of doing enough damage between spins and whatever she's doing that leaves me only affecting self. It took a while. I am a Tanker, so I'm slow.

Resistance.JPG

Edited by Werner
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, aethereal said:

Nice!  Having almost 70% neg energy resist detoggled is probably the key.

In hindsight, almost certainly! I don't remember surviving her spin before on any other character. Back in the old game, and prior to incarnates, I had over 50 solo attempts on her at level 50, no temps no insps with my Dark Melee/Super Reflexes Scrapper before I finally gave up and accepted that I couldn't beat her. I just needed that magic run where somehow she never landed the spin, but I never got that magic run.

Edited by Werner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Werner said:

In hindsight, almost certainly! I don't remember surviving her spin before on any other character. Back in the old game, and prior to incarnates, I had over 50 solo attempts on her at level 50, no temps no insps with my Dark Melee/Super Reflexes Scrapper before I finally gave up and accepted that I couldn't beat her. I just needed that magic run where somehow she never landed the spin, but I never got that magic run.

Yeah, with my stalker, it was like, "a few purples because I was bio armor and wasn't quite softcapped to neg energy, then lots of reds (and I think Lore) and just hope."  I didn't take 50 shots at her, but it feels like it would have been de facto impossible to do a pure no-insp, no-lore, no nothing run.  Needless to say, if she did land a spin on me, it was game over, I had no ability to survive it solo.  She's one of the more interesting AVs to fight.