Ostentatious badge bugged?

Zhym

I just had a weird path to getting the Ostentatious badge.  It's supposedly for collecting 50 classic costumes.  The progress tracker was at 41 when I bought a bunch of costumes from Annah—but the counter didn't increase.  I ran Dr. Kane's House of Horrors, then went back to clicking on doors to trick or treat.  I didn't get any more costumes, but I did get the badge!  The counter increased when I got "trick" as a result, not costumes. 

Is something weird going on with that badge, or do I completely misunderstand how it's supposed to work?

But the weird part is that the counter was incrementing when I wasn't getting any costumes, from any source.  It was incrementing when I got "Trick" results—i.e., mobs to fight, not costumes of any sort.  And costumes didn't drop when the mobs spawned (of course). 

7 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

Only costumes that you don't already currently have. A trick I do is delete costumes as I get them (except for one so I can get the tip missions). Then those costume drop badges hit quicker. 

Erm

That would be new.. i often enough got the badge without getting new costumes, it just counts the drop, if u get new costume of it or not, i dont even think there are 50 different costumes to drop from it. Faster or slower i cant say that would need serious number crunching, cause RNG is RNG :).

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Like 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

11 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

Only costumes that you don't already currently have. A trick I do is delete costumes as I get them (except for one so I can get the tip missions). Then those costume drop badges hit quicker. 

This is not true. If you get a duplicate costume drop it counts against the total.

I got the badge on two different chars yesterday. So, I paid a lot of attention.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Zhym said:

But the weird part is that the counter was incrementing when I wasn't getting any costumes, from any source.  It was incrementing when I got "Trick" results—i.e., mobs to fight, not costumes of any sort.  And costumes didn't drop when the mobs spawned (of course). 

If you were in PI yesterday. It was incredible laggy. That might have slowed the notification time to show long after the increment.

30 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

If you were in PI yesterday. It was incredible laggy. That might have slowed the notification time to show long after the increment.

I was in PI for a while yesterday, and oh my yes it was laggy.  And most of the time I spent trick-or-treating was in PI.  But I started noticing the weird badge behavior in Kallisti (where I moved my trick-or-treating due to the lag in PI).  It's possible that the lag in PI was so bad that I didn't get credit for costumes I had picked up in PI until I was running around in Kallisti, but (1) the times when the badge counter did increment were all right after I'd clicked on doors, (2) I had done a Dr. Kane TF in between the PI trick-or-treating and finishing it up in Kallisti, and (3) I only had about 25 costumes or so and still only have 27 costumes even now that I have the badge for 50.  So it definitely seems like something is giving credit for having gotten a costume when you don't.

My wild-assed guess is that it has to do with what happens when you would get a costume you already have.  Maybe you don't get the costume, but you still get badge credit?  (ETA: I now see that you said something like this above.  That's what I get for jumping straight to the post that quoted mine instead of reading all the new messages in the thread.)  I'd have thought that the fallback would be a different Treat (salvage, maybe), but maybe the "oops, already have that costume!" routine goes all the way back to the "trick, or treat?" decision point. 

Oh, and there were three times—all in a row, all in Kallisti—when I got a "Treat!" result but didn't get anything.  No costume, no salvage, not even a Rock.  And the costume badge progress didn't move, either.

But I suspect you're right that the explanation could be as simple as, "Strange things happen when shards get massively lagged, even on other shards." 

Edited by Zhym