Time/DP or DP/Time

Jolin

Hi all!

One of my last "mains" back in the day was a Time/dp defender time agent concept from the future.

As I'm thinking about remaking him, I'm asking myself, why not corruptor? So I figured I would ask here. I understand the differences, but not some of the more subtle things about sets. For example, I missed shields damage bonus is much better in a scrapper than a brute. Not a game changing mistake, but enough to ask before progressing to far this time haha.

Thanks, Jolin

Ok, so a defender's farsight without Clarion can reach around +22% to all defense. With Clarion it's around 30, which should softcap just about anyone. Defender also gets stronger heals.

Corruptors farsight without Clarion reaches 15%, with about 22%. To me, this is enough and you have a higher base dmg on all your powers and scourge which is serious dmg if you team with one of the many many prevalent kins around because you'll be at the dmg cap and scourge allows you to circumvent that in a way as long as the enemy is below 50% health.

The recharge on temporal selection and chronoshift are the same. So, meh.

I would choose the corruptor, but if you want more of a support role. By all means go defender.

So to my mind there are two advantages for a Defender over a Corruptor with Time. First is Defense. The nice thing about Farsight is that you can use Power Boost or Power Build Up to really increase the effectiveness of Farsight. Since Defenders get both a stronger defense from Farsight and a stronger version of power boost this makes a significant impact where Corruptors get 22% defense while Defenders get 31.8% defense (this assumes 56% defense slotting in Farsight). Adding in the fact that Defenders get more defense from things like Combat Jumping and Maneuvers and softcapping a Time Defender is much easier than softcapping a Time Corruptor. You can also get more benefit from Clarion Radial Destiny as Darkir noted although personally I prefer the Core version to get permanent mez protection since Time spends so much time in melee range.

To second advantage of a Time Defender is that you can skip Time Crawl if you want to. It's not an awful power but IMHO it's not that great either. You generally don't need the extra slow and the -regen is to low to be useful against AVs. It's primary use is letting Time Stop hold bosses with a single application and slightly boosting the effectiveness of Slowed Response against AVs. So overall it's not a power I'd lose sleep over skipping.

Now if you don't want to take Power Mastery or Soul Mastery for your Epic pool then I think the Corruptor wins out. If you are planning to take one of those pools then I think that the higher defense and increased build flexibility means that the Defender edges out the Corruptor. This is doubly true if you go the Soul Mastery route, since you can get Soul Drain permanent and Defenders get a larger damage buff from it than Corruptors do which will chip away at the damage difference anyway. It's also worth noting that Defenders get a larger damage buff from both Power Build Up and Soul Drain in those sets which can help with the damage differences (although Soul Drain helps more than Power Build Up due to increased uptime).

Defender Smash!

So to my mind there are two advantages for a Defender over a Corruptor with Time. First is Defense. The nice thing about Farsight is that you can use Power Boost or Power Build Up to really increase the effectiveness of Farsight. Since Defenders get both a stronger defense from Farsight and a stronger version of power boost this makes a significant impact where Corruptors get 22% defense while Defenders get 31.8% defense (this assumes 56% defense slotting in Farsight). Adding in the fact that Defenders get more defense from things like Combat Jumping and Maneuvers and softcapping a Time Defender is much easier than softcapping a Time Corruptor. You can also get more benefit from Clarion Radial Destiny as Darkir noted although personally I prefer the Core version to get permanent mez protection since Time spends so much time in melee range.

To second advantage of a Time Defender is that you can skip Time Crawl if you want to. It's not an awful power but IMHO it's not that great either. You generally don't need the extra slow and the -regen is to low to be useful against AVs. It's primary use is letting Time Stop hold bosses with a single application and slightly boosting the effectiveness of Slowed Response against AVs. So overall it's not a power I'd lose sleep over skipping.

Now if you don't want to take Power Mastery or Soul Mastery for your Epic pool then I think the Corruptor wins out. If you are planning to take one of those pools then I think that the higher defense and increased build flexibility means that the Defender edges out the Corruptor. This is doubly true if you go the Soul Mastery route, since you can get Soul Drain permanent and Defenders get a larger damage buff from it than Corruptors do which will chip away at the damage difference anyway.

I think you mean Dark mastery for perma soul drain. The soul drain from soul mastery is 240 second base, so its not really possible to perma even with ageless destiny slot. Dark mastery's soul drain is a base of 120 which you can get perma.

I think you mean Dark mastery for perma soul drain. The soul drain from soul mastery is 240 second base, so its not really possible to perma even with ageless destiny slot. Dark mastery's soul drain is a base of 120 which you can get perma.

Yeah good catch, I was getting the different versions of the power mixed up.

Defender Smash!

OH! One of the best things about DP is that you can slot the recharge proc from forced feedback io set in Empty Clips to get insane recharge. (still not enough to get perma soul drain from soul mastery, but its still a lot of recharge, enough to make perma chronoshift easy)