Building a team around fear

Nightstrider

Since coming back I've continued to think about what a team based on fear would look like and how it would do. Think Batman putting the fear in criminals. Street Justice, Staff, or Dual Blades paired with Dark Armor for the fear element would fit. Any AT, the only requirement would be that fear was incorporated. Any thoughts?

So....a soft control type team?

Probably decently fun while levelling but once everyone hits 50 and starts to IO/Incarnate things will be dying too fast to really make much use of the fear component (keeping the team small might help this).

But if its fun for you I'd do it.  Different strokes for different folks.  

Hmmm, Dark Armor, Dark Miasma, Illusion Control, Mind Control, Mental Manipulation, Presence, Dark Melee, Darkness Manipulation, and Leviathan Mastery all have Fear causing powers.  Pulled from the HCwiki and as the article is incomplete this list may be missing a few power sets --> such as Darkness Control which has several powers with a fear component (including Haunt and Umbra Beast) that I know about.  Could be wickedly effective even as a small team.  Silly amount of To Hit debuff potential resulting in a whiff fest after the foes are attacked and get one return attack to retaliate.

Edited by Doomguide2005

On 10/22/2021 at 8:10 PM, Industrious1 said:

So....a soft control type team?

Probably decently fun while levelling but once everyone hits 50 and starts to IO/Incarnate things will be dying too fast to really make much use of the fear component (keeping the team small might help this).

But if its fun for you I'd do it.  Different strokes for different folks.  

They could always turn off XP below fifty and decide not to slot sets.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 10/23/2021 at 2:31 PM, Nightstrider said:

So I'm not great with min/maxing but how is this for a 4 man team?

Dark Armor/Staff Tank

Street Justice/Dark armor Scrapper

Dual Pistol/Dark Miasma Corrupter

Darkness Control/Empathy Controller

Pretty much any 4-man team especially IO builds can work but if building a small 'super team' ...

I'd have 1 armor/melee/damage character and 3 support or 4 support characters.  Next I'd want defense and resists shields/buffers so the team is capped for defense with strong if not capped resists.  Healing and end  recovery are nice extras particularly if doing challenging content with settings like no inspirations, Temps, or incarnates allowed.  I'd tend to avoid Empathy unless you use 3 or more at which point they get nearly indestructible buffing each other and their team (gets silly powerful very quickly at that point)

So I'd probably swap out either the Tanker or the Scrapper/Brute (if not both).  Go all in with Dark Melee/Dark Armor or Dark Armor/Dark Melee.

Two folks with Darkness Affinity would be a plus.  Fade gives DDR and that means giggling at all those defdebuffers in the game.

Anyway must sleep.