New Badge

A few days ago I was playing around with a new toon and realized I made it all the way to 13th level before being beaten. That's quite an accomplishment for me, and I thing the game should give us badges for making to certain levels if we can do it without ever being beaten. I wonder if anyone would ever manage to get a level 50 survivor badge without being an abject coward? 

• Thumbs Down 1

All this would do is encourage people not to participate in content so they don't risk losing out on the badge. People would purposefully avoid getting involved and stay far away from the action in case they draw too much aggro, and would likely refuse to do anything with ambushes or large mobs just in case.

The only people I can see getting the badge are people who sit in on farms, or Brute mains trying to prove a point, which opens up an entirely different can of worms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

All this would do is encourage people not to participate in content so they don't risk losing out on the badge. People would purposefully avoid getting involved and stay far away from the action in case they draw too much aggro, and would likely refuse to do anything with ambushes or large mobs just in case.

I don't know where in the code it would go, but if you made a counter that incrememented every time they completed one of their own (non-AE) missions, and reset the counter on defeat, you could drive badges off the value of the counter as a way to encourage players to actually go out into Paragon City and complete missions. You would want to make TFs count as your missions regardless of who the leader was, which is probably an additional condition in the mission-completion code for incrementing the counter, so that you didn't discourage doing TFs for this.

I have a several toons that have never died. But then again I typically slot their final build IOs as soon as they are high enough for them.

On live I made a Stone Armor/Fire Melee Tanker with the notion of a hard mode defeat if you die run. That toon leveled up in about i2, never ended up dying either as once it got Granite it was kinda God mode.

That all said, no to the suggestion as a lot of ppl would just farm up their toons even more than they do, and if you saw the rag tag pug team that I was on for an Abandoned Sewer Trial, it was a sentinel and me that had ever been there, and the rest weren't sure where to start it, how to get to the abandoned sewers, how to navigate the maze, or how to pop the zit. Luckily for them the sentinel had a world of patience and I was bored just watching TV.

10 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

God.  You just gave me flashbacks to the days when Isolator was first introduced, @Tyrannical!

I ended up rerolling several characters just to get it.  Such an awful implementation originally. 

And I had a friend who for the longest time had a badge my badge hunter and main did not.  He had created his very first character and ran around unsure of what to do killing God knows how many, getting the badge, trying to get into the game before finally calling one of us only slightly less new friends to find our how to exit into AP. 

23 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Hard-core mode, defeat equal delete.

Folks have gone Incarnate without defeat on Live.  Not sure how far they've been able to get on HC

I could see a special title (like Helper or Roleplayer) as an in-game indicator for toons running in this mode.  As soon as you die that first time, that title could be removed/disabled, so it's still your choice to delete or continue as non-Hardcore.

59 minutes ago, Akisan said:

I could see a special title (like Helper or Roleplayer) as an in-game indicator for toons running in this mode.  As soon as you die that first time, that title could be removed/disabled, so it's still your choice to delete or continue as non-Hardcore.

In a way that's similar to how an SG I was in on Live did it.  Deletion was up to you, but you were required to leave the SG upon defeat.