Mouse wheel is toggling the function of the middle mouse button

Toenailgun

I'm having an odd issue with the mouse wheel interacting with the middle mouse button.

How it normally works with my setup:

Lbutton + Rbutton = forward

Middle button (pushing down on the wheel) = target next enemy

Rbutton = move the camera

This allows me to move the camera and target the next enemy with the mouse at the same time.

However, if I use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out, right button + middle button is now forward, as is left button + middle button. I lose the functionality of the middle button while holding down Rbutton.

If I use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out once more, things go back to normal and I can once again pan the camera while targeting with the middle mouse button.

I am using a new cheap mouse as my previous one wore out, so I'm sure that's the cause. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the mouse, checked for updated drivers (there are none), move keybinds around, checked a dozen different characters. Whatever function I've assigned to middle mouse button doesn't matter, rolling the wheel once changes my ability to use the middle + right mouse buttons and rolling the wheel again restores it.

What the hell?

Edit: I don't know offhand of any other programs I could check this specific use of middle + right mouse buttons, so I can't tell if this is only applying to city of heroes or if it's an operating system problem

Edited by Fingernailgun

I wonder if the mouse wheel is somehow toggling click-to-move? I am not sure where that setting is offhand (might be under Options > Controls) but if you can locate it in options you might check there. Otherwise you might try exporting your binds with the /bind_save_file command (or just /bind_save if you don't want to give the file a custom name) and look to see what the binds are for these keys (if they are in there):

LBUTTON
RBUTTON
MBUTTON
BUTTON4
BUTTON5
BUTTON6
BUTTON7
BUTTON8
MOUSECHORD
MOUSEWHEEL

You might also check for key combos that involve these keys plus a chord key (ALT, CTRL, or SHIFT), although that's probably a long shot.

You could also just rebind the mouse wheel with:

/bind MOUSEWHEEL "+camdistadjust"

That will set it to only zoom in and out (in case it was bound to multiple commands previously).

Edited by AboveTheChemist
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the reply.

Of those binds, those that exist in the created bindfile are:

RBUTTON "+mouse_look"

MBUTTON "target_enemy_next"

MouseChord "+forward"

MOUSEWHEEL "+camdistadjust"

Unbinding mbutton and mousewheel does not stop the wheel from toggling whether mbutton+rbutton activates the forward bind. Also, using the mouse wheel to scroll through a webpage activates this problem too, so it is clearly not City of Heroes itself doing something funky with the wheel.

I can actually go into keymapping and click the middle + right mouse buttons on an option and the game says I've assigned left + right buttons.

wheel.png.1387596fb5c25e6e999514b2a88b07ab.png

Time to get another mouse

Edited by Fingernailgun
  • Like 1

Yeah it sounds like it might be something with the mouse itself, but maybe there's a settings menu for the mouse that would let you see/change how the buttons are set up? I'm getting way out of my element there though.