Export/Import Bases

Kagetsume

I'd love a feature of being able to export a base design/build, and import a base design/build/.  Mainly to allow the movement of a Supergroup base from one server to another, much like being able to move characters.  I know the group needs to be created on the target server, but I'd love to be able to import a base design without having to manually redo it all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

*nod*

And as a plus, this could lead to a "Design a starter / basic base" contest, say, where several are submitted and the winners get to be put in as - well, starter bases you can select for your own (templates, basically,) for those that don't really want to / can't / don't have time for a lot of base building but want something nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Unfortunately, developers have stated on Discord that this is not really an option because items… inspirations, enhancements… all become part of the supergroup base itself.  Allowing you to import/export supergroup bases would allow you to start duping rares, and then before you know it the game has gone to the Americans.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Apparition said:

Unfortunately, developers have stated on Discord that this is not really an option because items… inspirations, enhancements… all become part of the supergroup base itself.  Allowing you to import/export supergroup bases would allow you to start duping rares, and then before you know it the game has gone to the Americans.

So alter the code that a base can only be exported if all storage bins are empty.  The code already will not allow you to delete a storage bin if it contains items, so the code knows whether or not a storage item is empty.  Just disable the export button until it knows everything is empty, then allow it for export.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

yup i would love to export and import a base,

it also has big RP opportunities if you could do this.

Or you just re use an old base from an abandoned SG you started for a new fresh one with a new concept.

hell i m starting an RP SG that is meant to have moved in to an old abandoned base of a long defunct SG, it would be cool to maybe use the copy of a base of an actual old defunct SG (with there agreement of course)

Edited by jkwak

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

13 hours ago, Apparition said:

Which doesn't preclude that followup I mentioned - hold a contest to design some basic bases that could be imported. They wouldn't *have* items in storage, after all. (Yes, I *would* love to see it... how can you tell? :) )

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

So alter the code that a base can only be exported if all storage bins are empty.

It's way more complicated than that.  The entire base system needs to be completely re-written before this can be done SAFELY without dev level manual intervention for each base.  Even then it risks corrupting the entire shard.  The risk to thousands of players is exponentially beyond the reward to one player.  The base code is a complete disaster, we're lucky it works at all and hasn't already crashed the shard requiring restore from backup.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

1 hour ago, Linea said:

It's way more complicated than that.  The entire base system needs to be completely re-written before this can be done SAFELY without dev level manual intervention for each base.  Even then it risks corrupting the entire shard.  The risk to thousands of players is exponentially beyond the reward to one player.  The base code is a complete disaster, we're lucky it works at all and hasn't already crashed the shard requiring restore from backup.

Can you please show me where the words "not complicated" or "easy to do" show up in my post?  I never suggested anything of the sort.  I am a programmer by trade, so believe me, I understand the complexities of intricate code.  Regardless of complexity or stability, code can be altered.  No one is making any demands here, just discussing a suggestion. 

It's unlikely the existing devs will be able to find that level of excess resources soon(tm).   I'd love it if they would do it, I have a 250+ hour base I'd love to import and upgrade to the current base tech.  If you're a competent high level Software Engineer and C# programmer, the code is available, make it your own personal project.  Expect to invest a years worth of your free-time in it.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

1 hour ago, Linea said:

It's unlikely the existing devs will be able to find that level of excess resources soon(tm).   I'd love it if they would do it, I have a 250+ hour base I'd love to import and upgrade to the current base tech.  If you're a competent high level Software Engineer and C# programmer, the code is available, make it your own personal project.  Expect to invest a years worth of your free-time in it.

I am not sure where/how you are getting any of this from my or other posts here that this would be a simple project to do.  It is discussing an idea, nothing more.  I said nothing even remotely close to what you are trying to inject into my post.   Last I checked, this is a suggestion and ideas forum where ideas/suggestions/wishes are encouraged to be shared and welcome to be discussed.  I certainly am not making any demands this get added to the schedule of things to do.