Tanks without the taunt power

Diantane

The main reason I like having a tank on my team is their ability to protect the team by taunting the bad guys away from us. Sure they can taunt just by hitting something, but that’s a lot weaker than taunt. If I’m taking a lot of damage then I know that “built-in” taunt isn’t working. If they maxed out their defenses like they should have, this would be easy for them. I’ve noticed that most (if not all) tanks are no longer training taunt as they want an extra attack power. Well we don’t look at a tank for DPS. Why would they even consider this?

When I start a new tank, the first attack I train is taunt. Training defensive powers have priority as it is the primary. I have a job to do and it’s not DPS. The scrappers, stalkers, blasters, etc. have that job. Since attacks on a tank are their secondary, they won’t do much good anyway. It’s like a defender training a lot of blasts up front and slotting them for damage. It makes no sense because they will be far weaker than a blaster or other offensive primaries. My defender blasts are slotted with debuffs.

Looking forward to seeing “real” tanks on CoH in the future.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

Probably worth mentioning that there are agro limits per toon, which you can look up as homework, so if your team is engaging too many mobs at once, excess agro will spill from your tank/or whatever toon is holding agro (yes you can build a toon to tank with say a defender/mm/or even a blaster with enough IO investment).

Also taunt has targeting limits, so no matter whether a tank is using taunt or punchvoke to gain agro, it takes some time to establish agro, so yjust because a tank is there doesn't mean it's the enemies' automatic primary.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diantane said:

The main reason I like having a tank on my team is their ability to protect the team by taunting the bad guys away from us. Sure they can taunt just by hitting something, but that’s a lot weaker than taunt. If I’m taking a lot of damage then I know that “built-in” taunt isn’t working. If they maxed out their defenses like they should have, this would be easy for them. I’ve noticed that most (if not all) tanks are no longer training taunt as they want an extra attack power. Well we don’t look at a tank for DPS. Why would they even consider this?

When I start a new tank, the first attack I train is taunt. Training defensive powers have priority as it is the primary. I have a job to do and it’s not DPS. The scrappers, stalkers, blasters, etc. have that job. Since attacks on a tank are their secondary, they won’t do much good anyway. It’s like a defender training a lot of blasts up front and slotting them for damage. It makes no sense because they will be far weaker than a blaster or other offensive primaries. My defender blasts are slotted with debuffs.

Looking forward to seeing “real” tanks on CoH in the future.

Welcome back, Dian. As someone without levels 50 and who has no special experiencea with Tankers you should consider playing how you see fit instead of trying to tell others how to.

It comes off a lot as someone who plays soccer the weekends trying to explain to Ronaldo how do do it.

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 5

• Lead Game Master

There was no question or request for input in the original post, so locking the thread.

For those interested in the topic, it has been discussed in several other threads, including a couple below:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Thumbs Down 1