MA/Regen vs MA/Inv advice

RiskyKisses

Hey all.

I've ran a MA/Regen brute to level 35, and have been having a blast doing so. I have her on the basic enemy levels and she walks right through her mobs at the moment. But I'm worried about her possible end game build. Can a Regen brute be built to survive trying to run 4x8 incarnates and such?

So, I've also ran a MA/Inv to level 35 as well. And to be honest, I'm somewhat disappointed. The Inv Brute sems to take more damage than the Regen brute, and I'm not understanding why. The builds are both basic SOs, and the Regen is just flying along with little care while the Inv has to rest to regain health way more often.

Anyway, as I start to approach the higher levels, I really don't want to run them both to 50. Can a 50 MA/Reg brute be viable? And if so, I'd dearly appreciate anyone that has a Regen build of any kind. It's a powerset I know very little about, though I'm slowly learning.

Thanks!

~Risky~

1 hour ago, RiskyKisses said:

The builds are both basic SOs

This is why. Kit out an /Inv with IO sets and it will really shine. Search for @Hyperstrike's Inv build templates. On the other hand, IO sets don't do much for /Regen's holes (alpha strikes/burst damage and lack of resistance to -regen).

That said, /Regen will do just fine if you don't push the difficulty too much. Should have no problem soloing at +2/x3 or +3/x4. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I can see a Regen performing better at base difficulty settings, but I'm also not sure why an Invul would struggle that much. I would be curious to see the Invul's build. I haven't done an Invul, but I don't recall any Brute I have leveled struggling at base diff settings when soloing. For one of the best known armor sets for how sturdy it is struggling just feels off. <Y only experience with Regen was on a Scrapper on live. 40-45 things got harder. I never switched beyond common IOs so I don't have a good estimate for how high the diff setting would get to. Regen doesn't like alpha strike so +4/x8 is going to be an issue. Certainly based on the map.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Well, I have all defense powers slotted with 3 Resist and/or Defense SO's, along with 2 End Reds for anything running a toggle. As far as her attacks, I have them as slotted out as I can currently, perhaps I'm trying to build her too tankish instead of Brutish? Idk. 

Uun, thank you, that was what I had mostly figured. It was just with the way things are currently running between the two of them, MA.Reg still outdoes MA.Inv, and so had me curious as for the long haul. Thanks!

Regen absolutely can handle +4x8 but its not gonna be able to just sleep through things.

Regen is, with the exception of its main weaknesses, able to hit higher highs than most other sets while idling below them.

The big thing is if you have defense and resistance buffs being given to you, regen will perform very well but debuffs and damage spikes need to be proatively mitigated. So no sleeping on the job.

I can put something together if you like, I have a few builds on hand but they are old and I can do better now. My signature has a calculator for the scrapper version, the brute version is 99% the same if you wanna play with it

Edited by Koopak

10 hours ago, Koopak said:

Regen absolutely can handle +4x8 but its not gonna be able to just sleep through things.

Regen is, with the exception of its main weaknesses, able to hit higher highs than most other sets while idling below them.

The big thing is if you have defense and resistance buffs being given to you, regen will perform very well but debuffs and damage spikes need to be proatively mitigated. So no sleeping on the job.

I can put something together if you like, I have a few builds on hand but they are old and I can do better now. My signature has a calculator for the scrapper version, the brute version is 99% the same if you wanna play with it

I'd love to do that exact thing! I just see so few Regen builds now a days. Thank you.

I've been running with Sorcery on a lot of mine lately, Mystic Flight and Arcane Bolt to get to Rune of Protection.

Fighting for the Kick, Tough, Weave combo

Mu Mastery for Electrifying Fences and Ball Lightning

Without having a build to go over at the moment I'd probably need Haste to ramp up recovery. I don't think a Regen can get enough Luck of the Gambler's loaded in to make up for it.

As far as MA... everything but Thunder Kick and Warriors Challenge, and maybe even Dragon's Tail?

Regeneration: everything but Revive, and maybe MoG depending on using Haste, I guess?

On 12/22/2021 at 12:40 PM, RiskyKisses said:

I've ran a MA/Regen brute to level 35, and have been having a blast doing so. I have her on the basic enemy levels and she walks right through her mobs at the moment. But I'm worried about her possible end game build. Can a Regen brute be built to survive trying to run 4x8 incarnates and such?

So, I've also ran a MA/Inv to level 35 as well. And to be honest, I'm somewhat disappointed. The Inv Brute sems to take more damage than the Regen brute, and I'm not understanding why. The builds are both basic SOs, and the Regen is just flying along with little care while the Inv has to rest to regain health way more often.

This is exactly correct. (on SOs)

Once you delve into the set bonuses and really leveraging them to refine your character, both can be very strong. You won't have made a mistake taking either to 50 and beyond.

Glad you are having fun on Regen, it's one of my favorites as well. A mindful player can really shine.

Love the name by the way @RiskyKisses

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6 hours ago, RiskyKisses said:

I've been running with Sorcery on a lot of mine lately, Mystic Flight and Arcane Bolt to get to Rune of Protection.

Fighting for the Kick, Tough, Weave combo

Mu Mastery for Electrifying Fences and Ball Lightning

Without having a build to go over at the moment I'd probably need Haste to ramp up recovery. I don't think a Regen can get enough Luck of the Gambler's loaded in to make up for it.

As far as MA... everything but Thunder Kick and Warriors Challenge, and maybe even Dragon's Tail?

Regeneration: everything but Revive, and maybe MoG depending on using Haste, I guess?

Thats alot of specifics I dont completely agree with mechanically.

My goal is to get an idea of whats needed for the character concept. For instance my main has the teleport pool for concept even though its 3 power picks that do almost nothing.

I cant recommend never skipping mog or dragons tail hard enough