New P2W Thingy?

Clave Dark 5

I'm not in front of the game right now so my terms might be wrong here, but making a new character yesterday, I saw a new-to-me thing with the helpful P2W lady standing next to the Atlas statue platform: it said something about renouncing a power to get a new prestige power?  Can anyone tell me what that was? 

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

All those free prestige powers you can pick, like Origin Attack (taser dart, apprentice charm), or Sands of Mu, Athletic Sprint, Secondary Mutation, etc?

You can renounce them, allowing you to pick another option for free instead. This is nice if you ended up not liking something you grabbed and want to try something else.

<sings> There is no eeeend to the possibilities!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Certain prestige powers can be revoked to take a different one.

You know that basic temporary power based on your origin that you get when you start the game?  You can turn that in and pick one from a different origin if you like.  So you could, say, swap out Taser Dart for Apprentice Charm or Throwing Knives.

The Nemesis Staff, Blackwand, Sands of Mu or the Ghost Slaying Axe can also be turned in to change up your combination of 3 prestige permanents attacks.  This is useful if you decide, say, that you don't want Sands of Mu anymore and would be better served by taking a Blackwand in addition to your Nemstick (or vice versa). You can also turn in one of those prestige movement powers (Beast Run, Ninja Run, and Athletic Run) and select a different one.  Same thing with the Power/Shield buff pets, so you can replace a Light Fairy with a Power Oscillator, if you wish.

There are limitations to it - as the game tells you, you cannot revoke the Prestige Sprints once taken.  In addition, as @Major_Decoy pointed out, you also don't get any inf back for a revoked power if you actually paid for it.  It's most useful early, for switching up your freebies.

Edited by Nerva
Small edits in the interest of readability.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

I also allows you to revoke the powers you can pay for if you decide "I never use this and it's clogging up my power tray" but you don't get your  infamy back.

WHAAAAAT?!

😃

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

38 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

If  I had  to guess:  there are certain powers you get  for free  if you've  earned a badge, but you have to pay for  them if you don't  have a  badge, and so "no refunds" just  made it easier to deal with, fewer variables to track.

Actually it's a bit deeper than that.

See, nearly all of the powers available at P2W were initially Veteran Reward Powers back on live, given out to those who maintain a subscribing account for long enough.  Originally, you had to have an account of a certain age, but that was changed when the subscription system was overhauled and the game went freemium.  Here, we don't have a subscription system (we can't, NC would assuredly sue), so instead we have a different way of "paying to win" to get these powers - good ol' in-game inf, and lots of it.  However you do get a few freebies.

Specifically with powers that can't be revoked, like the Prestige Sprints, it's because of how they're implemented.  The Nemstick, Blackwand, Sands of Miss, Naruto running, Bootleg Targeting Drone, Avengers Assemble and all of those are implemented as prestige temporary powers; temp powers that are actually permanent.  The Prestige Sprints are implemented as inherent powers, like the actual Sprint is, which has two big differences - one, it makes them slottable, and two, it makes them kinda hard to remove from a build without royally screwing it up.  And that's why the Prestige Sprints aren't revocable!

Yet.

Edited by Nerva
We've had a lot of things that have been done despite Live devs claiming they "can't" after all...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/23/2021 at 1:50 AM, Major_Decoy said:

I also allows you to revoke the powers you can pay for if you decide "I never use this and it's clogging up my power tray" but you don't get your  infamy back.

But do you get your INFORMATION back? 🤔

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

4 hours ago, Redletter said:

It was a joke, m8

Since I've seen people who believe that influence, infamy, and information are mechanically different from one another, I figured it was safest to assume you're serious until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 4:40 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

I'm not in front of the game right now so my terms might be wrong here, but making a new character yesterday, I saw a new-to-me thing with the helpful P2W lady standing next to the Atlas statue platform: it said something about renouncing a power to get a new prestige power?  Can anyone tell me what that was? 

Example

The existence of Athletic Run is pretty recent.  Before that if you wanted a free, flexible travel power, your choices were Beast Run or Ninja Run.  Both have a distinct look in accordance with the power name (well, "Ninja Run" if you think ninjas should run like Naruto).  However, the look of these powers seemed wrong for many characters.  Thus the devs added Athletic Run to the set.  All have the same speed and jump height.  However, Athletic Run looks no different than running with Sprint.  (Any of these three powers, plus either Jump Pack or Steam Jump, provide you with 95% of your travel needs, albeit slower than power pool travel powers.)

All that to say, a lot of my characters revoked their previous Ninja Run or Beast Run, and took Athletic Run instead.

Edited by cohRock
  • Like 2

-- Rock