Tele on target and on click with a bind

Redletter

This probably isnt the place for this, but I also dont think this is a pressing "help" forum concern? I dunno.

Im not a big macro kinda person, since learning macros makes my brain melt. I just picked up Combat Tele. on my stalker, and I'd like to be able to put it on my tray as a something I can just press the button for and it will execute it, and I'd like a version that i can use a "cast where my cursor is immediatley" kinda deal.

How do I do that?

• Thanks 1

Resident certified baby

I've got just what you need. This is what I use:

/bind T powexec_location Target Combat Teleport -- TPs you to current selected target when you press T
/bind R powexec_location Cursor Combat Teleport -- TPs you to max distance where the cursor is when you press R
/bind G powexec_location Back:40 Combat Teleport -- TPs you back 40 ft (effective distance for most short ranged cones--you may want to decrease it by increments of 5 for melee cones) while still facing target unlike Jaunt and Translocation... when you press G

Edited by Six-Six
  • Thanks 3

...and if you want that macro to have cool looking tray icons, you can set the macro image with these:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uHUi6BWFTYj4wbfGBs3LjZL88Fym6B-8EwDr18YZcY8/edit#gid=0

basically, the syntax would be:
/macroimage image_name Title "command power"
/macroimage is just the command to say that you're using a specific tray icon
image_name is the specific name (from the google doc) of that tray icon
Title is your macro title... not as important, but handy
command is the powexec_name or powexec_location etc. 
power is the specific power from primary, secondary, tertiary/epic pools. drag the power icon to your chat bar to figure out what the power name is
the " " are not really necessary, they just help you see the command line faster, especially if you have multiple executables
(which btw can be written as: /macroimage image_name Title "command power$$command power$$command power") but I find these too tricky for my wee brain

Once you create the macro, you can edit it right clicking on it. 
good luck and welcome to the world of macros.

Edited by Six-Six
  • Thanks 2

I think this tops all the various key binds and macros for TP:

LeftDoubleClick "powexecname Translocation"

Doubleclick, bam, there you are. Substitute your TP power as appropriate.

I also have a more complex bind setup to toggle between TP and Combat TP for travel vs combat use.

And the press/release bind option allows instant TP with the two-stage powers:

Y "+$$powexec_location up:max Translocation$$powexectoggleon Mystic Flight"

...which does an emergency pop way up high. Adapt for more usual travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 1/20/2022 at 10:52 PM, Redletter said:

This probably isnt the place for this, but I also dont think this is a pressing "help" forum concern? I dunno.

Im not a big macro kinda person, since learning macros makes my brain melt. I just picked up Combat Tele. on my stalker, and I'd like to be able to put it on my tray as a something I can just press the button for and it will execute it, and I'd like a version that i can use a "cast where my cursor is immediatley" kinda deal.

How do I do that?

A macro'd Combat Teleport will change your life- especially if you're a melee AT or a Blapper.  Do it.  Do it now.  👍

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/22/2022 at 8:10 AM, GM Impervium said:

"Help" isn't just for pressing issues, it's for any and all questions you may have about the game 😃

So, thread moved.

Thanks, Perv. I thought it was for like, "loading into any redside location causes my game to crash" and other importanr issues. But now I know I can post all my dumb questions there and no one can stop me!

On 1/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, Shenanigunner said:

I think this tops all the various key binds and macros for TP:

LeftDoubleClick "powexecname Translocation"

Doubleclick, bam, there you are. Substitute your TP power as appropriate.

I also have a more complex bind setup to toggle between TP and Combat TP for travel vs combat use.

The double click would be useful if I werent playin on my laptop most of the time, and in no position to set up a mouse. Double tapping the trackpad happens on accident more often than I'd like? So I'd be miscasting that like crazy.

That "Baby want UP!" one though is super good! Especially since, according to the command, it goes the MAX distance of the power, so if I slot Teleport with say, like, 6 range enhancers, it wouldnt throw me the base max of tele, it would throw me to whatever the max enhanced range was, so that's good to know.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:29 PM, flinlock said:

What @Six-Six said, although if you want it to show up in your tray you would use this command: 

/macro T powexec_location Cursor Combat Teleport

That will add it to your power tray with a T icon

Ahhh, see, I didnt know a macro for a power didnt plug it into the tray. I thought that when you made a macro for a power, it slotted it into your tray (the only macro for a "power" ive  ever used was for the super group commands people show off, and those go right into the tray). So that's a different part of the command string all together. Good to know!

On 1/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, Six-Six said:

I've got just what you need. This is what I use:

/bind T powexec_location Target Combat Teleport -- TPs you to current selected target when you press T
/bind R powexec_location Cursor Combat Teleport -- TPs you to max distance where the cursor is when you press R
/bind G powexec_location Back:40 Combat Teleport -- TPs you back 40 ft (effective distance for most short ranged cones--you may want to decrease it by increments of 5 for melee cones) while still facing target unlike Jaunt and Translocation... when you press G

On 1/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, Six-Six said:

...and if you want that macro to have cool looking tray icons, you can set the macro image with these:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uHUi6BWFTYj4wbfGBs3LjZL88Fym6B-8EwDr18YZcY8/edit#gid=0

basically, the syntax would be:
/macroimage image_name Title "command power"
/macroimage is just the command to say that you're using a specific tray icon
image_name is the specific name (from the google doc) of that tray icon
Title is your macro title... not as important, but handy
command is the powexec_name or powexec_location etc. 
power is the specific power from primary, secondary, tertiary/epic pools. drag the power icon to your chat bar to figure out what the power name is
the " " are not really necessary, they just help you see the command line faster, especially if you have multiple executables
(which btw can be written as: /macroimage image_name Title "command power$$command power$$command power") but I find these too tricky for my wee brain

Once you create the macro, you can edit it right clicking on it. 
good luck and welcome to the world of macros.

Thank you, OH so very much. Both for the help, and for using small words so my brain doesnt turn to glue trying to understand the information.

• Like 1

Resident certified baby

10 hours ago, Redletter said:

The double click would be useful if I werent playin on my laptop most of the time, and in no position to set up a mouse. Double tapping the trackpad happens on accident more often than I'd like

I feel your pain, I've played using just the trackpad a few times. I could see it working well with the right macro and keybind setup to minimize mouse use... but I do have room for a wireless mouse so I got one 😅

On 1/21/2022 at 4:18 PM, Shenanigunner said:

I also LOVE this. The combo with activating flight (Hover in my case) is amazing! Incredibly useful for my defender who sometimes needs to get the hell out of Dodge and support from a safer distance. 

5 hours ago, flinlock said:

I also LOVE this. The combo with activating flight (Hover in my case) is amazing! Incredibly useful for my defender who sometimes needs to get the hell out of Dodge and support from a safer distance. 

It's saved my TP alts many times when they, uh, misjudge a situation. OTOH, nothing like popping up to ceiling height and then dying... it's a loooonnngggg way to Tipperary.

Same dodge can be used with Combat TP for a one-key pop-in, and to simulat CTP with Translocation. Also a one-key 'jump to base' if you have any of the base teleporters.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I used to use a similar bind for Spring Attack on my claws/wp scrapper back in the day, which was handy when you wanted to move around a crowd quickly. It's knockback (enh to knockdown, naturally) was super helpful in giving an assist to someone who had bitten off a bit more than they could chew. I could target a foe near them, hit the bind and basically teleport into the crowd, knocking a bunch of them down before getting the claws out and thinning their numbers.

If I can find the keybind in my files I'll share it here, although it's not an answer to the question.

Edit: in fact, it's most likely:

/bind t powexec_location target spring attack

Edited by TalonGrayson
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Solvernia said:

Shift click is probably safer, since after testing the double click threshold seems pretty low.

We all have different styles and settings. The only downside I've had with double-click (for a variety of powers) is that selecting items quickly in things like the store menus can be interpreted in the background as a double-click.

I'll maintain there's nothing faster, as you don't even need to find a shift key. Being able to instantly TP has been very useful for me.

That said, I often bind the Q key to the same function. For travel, I might point and double-click to make the first move, then tap Q to keep moving (using the cursor keyword).

• Like 1

I don't know what you mean by "find a shift key". It's always in the same spot on your keyboard and can be pressed instantaneously, since your hand is right there at all times. In fact, I would argue the act of simultaneously pressing the shift key and pressing the left mouse button is faster than pressing the left mouse button twice.

You could definitely make it even quicker by binding it to a single keyboard key, but QERTF is already taken up for me by my power tray keybinds (I don't use 6-0.)

Edited by Solvernia

5 hours ago, Solvernia said:

I don't know what you mean by "find a shift key". It's always in the same spot on your keyboard and can be pressed instantaneously, since your hand is right there at all times.

Yeah, depending on your hands, and not taking any disabilities or manual difficulties into account. No harm in offering options with less complexity.

• Like 1

Everyone has different hand skills and setups, which is why it's a very very very very good thing that the game was designed with almost no hard-coded keys; the entire keyboard and mouse mapping can be modified or rewritten using a bind file. And extended with macros. This has proven invaluable (even essential) to those who have some hand/finger/arm movement issues and I've been very pleased to help many such players work out more comfortable and effective options.

But I'll contend that clicking twice with a finger that's already in place and essentially never moves off the mouse is more efficient than moving your left hand from the WASD position to press a shift key.

Those who use a plethora of keys, and macros over binds, are completely welcome to their style, but it always makes me think of a runner who takes twice as many steps as he has to. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

it always makes me think of a runner who takes twice as many steps as he has to. 🙂

Sometimes that's a good thing. I've started using powecexlocation cursor translocation but I miss see the little rings at my cursor when I click as they indicate whether your cursor is against a wall or floor.

But I think that supports your overall sentiment; flexibility is key, because preference trumps efficiency every time, and that's one of the many things this games does incredibly well.

I just wish there were an in-game bind/macro building UI... mainly because there are just so many things to learn and remember otherwise

Edited by TalonGrayson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TalonGrayson said:

I just wish there were an in-game bind/macro building UI... mainly because there are just so many things to learn and remember otherwise

There's a bind builder that's been under development since LIve, I think. Check the Tools forum.

Not sure anything built into the game would be of much help. After all, MS Office has a fairly comprehensive VBA/macro editor built in, but nothing about it makes it easy to learn the thousands of keywords, functions etc. It's not about turning out a few canned actions, it's about almost unlimited flexibility in configuring the UI down to some very small details.

So learning the basic process, and then having a comprehensive grasp of the slash commands... is at the root no matter whether you type your work into the chat window, use someone else's framework or edit a complete bind file. Which is what the Guide is all about: not "giving players a fish," which most individual posts and wiki entries do, but quite literally teaching how to fish. If there was a better/easier way, I would have included it sometime in the last 15 years. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I totally agree, but I think to people coming into CoX for the first time from other, more modern games, might find the slash command interface daunting at first. I didn't know there was a tool available, but that could be a great stepping stone to point the people I'm trying to convince to jump into the game to!