Proc Rate Irregularity

It has been my understanding that the proc rate for a single target attack is PPM * ((Base Recharge Time + Time To Activate) / (60)), and that only the recharge reduction that is slotted into a power affects this calculation. I was testing whether the recharge from the incarnate alpha slot also affected proc chance, and had some unexpected results.

These results are not necessarily unique to the beta server, but it is where I conducted my tests.

Test 1:

Midnight Grasp (Dominator /Dark Assault), slotted with only Hecatomb chance for negative energy damage (4.5 PPM). No incarnate alpha slotted. 15s recharge. 2.07 activation.

Attacks: 75

Procs: 67

Non-procs: 8

Expected proc rate: 100% (128%)

Observed proc rate: 89.3%

Test 2:

Midnight Grasp (Dominator /Dark Assault), slotted with 2 recharge reduction IOs (level 50+5), and Hecatomb chance for negative energy damage (4.5 PPM). No incarnate alpha slotted. 7.66s recharge. 2.07 activation.

Attacks: 76

Procs: 57

Non-procs: 19

Expected proc rate: 72.975%

Observed proc rate: 75%

Test 3:

Midnight Grasp (Dominator /Dark Assault), slotted with 1 recharge reduction IO (level 25), and Hecatomb chance for negative energy damage (4.5 PPM). No incarnate alpha slotted. 11.36s recharge. 2.07 activation.

Attacks: 91

Procs: 87

Non-procs: 4

Expected proc rate: 100% (100.725%)

Observed proc rate: 95.6%

Test 4:

Midnight Grasp (Dominator /Dark Assault), slotted with 1 recharge reduction IO (level 25), and Hecatomb chance for negative energy damage (4.5 PPM). Incarnate alpha slotted with spiritual core paragon. 8.47s (11.36s pre incarnate) recharge. 2.07 activation.

Attacks: 103

Procs: 79

Non-procs: 24

Expected proc rate: 79.05% or 100% (100.725%), depending on if incarnate recharge lowers proc rate.

Observed proc rate: 76.699%

Conclusions:

100% expected proc rate doesn't actually result in 100% proc activation. Maybe they're having to make their own hidden attack roll and are missing sometimes? Maybe going over 100% chance does odd things. Maybe Midnight Grasp or Hecatomb are interacting strangely. I can test a different ability/IO later and see if I get different results. Takes a long time to do this by hand. Not sure if GMs/Devs have a tool to do the job faster. I seem to remember Castle mentioned having the ability to conduct multi-thousand hit tests pretty quickly, a long time ago.

Incarnate alpha recharge is affecting proc rate. Not that that's necessarily a bug, but maybe useful information that at least I didn't know until now.

Proc chance is capped at 90%.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120906114827/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4213945

Also, I was under the impression that +recharge from set bonuses and buffs (like hasten) also affects PPM.

Interesting, thanks! I dimly remember reading this a long time ago. Didn't know it had been implemented.

I don't think global recharge from set bonuses or hasten are affecting proc rate, or the results of test 3 in my previous post would be very different. I was running 107.5% global recharge from set bonuses, which would have changed the expected proc rate from 100.725% to 62.498%, which should be noticeable in a sample size of 91.

• 1 month later

Ok so if i got this straight, having a little recharge slotted in your power. Say one gladiator strike acc/dam/end/rech or one hecatomb acc/dam/rec and thats the only rech in that power wont effect procs that much correct?

Edited by Dspurlock82

On 7/31/2019 at 11:29 PM, Dspurlock82 said:

Ok so if i got this straight, having a little recharge slotted in your power. Say one gladiator strike acc/dam/end/rech or one hecatomb acc/dam/rec and thats the only rech in that power wont effect procs that much correct?

Mathematically speaking the littlest amounts of added recharge will have the most drastic effect on proc probabilities. As the added recharge increases, the proc probability will continue to decline but the decline will be at a slower rate. 

So yes, less recharge is always better. But you'll be surprised by how much just a little bit of recharge can cause a big drop.

There is a caveat, however. If the power has a long cooldown, then it's possible you can add recharge and still retain the max possible probability of 90%. In those cases, add recharge until you hit that 90% threshold.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

• Jimmy locked this topic