My old teleport macros are now frustrating to use. Can I fix them? Is Combat Teleport dead?

Kai Moon

My teleport to target macro, before the last patch, had two possible results. Both results were completely fine.

1. Target is out of range, message displays, nothing happens.

2. I teleport directly next to my intended target.

The same teleport to target macro, now, is frustrating to use, because the outcome is unpredictable, and often disorienting.

1. Target is out of range, message displays, nothing happens.

2. Target is kind of out of range, message displays, but then it goes off a moment later, and maybe I pressed the button twice, so I teleport twice and change directions, so I have no idea where I am.

3. Target is out of line of sight, false "out of range" message displays, and I teleport into a wall, and my screen is full of wall, so I have no idea where I am.

4. I teleport directly next to my intended target, because the target was already close to me anyway.

For a couple months, I just stopped using the macro to avoid that frustration. Before I take the next step and start respec'ing alts out of Combat Teleport (and perhaps the whole teleport pool) entirely, is there any way to make teleport macros useful, other than just ensuring the target is already close to me?

I use keybinds.

(This one is the side mouse button btw)

/bind BUTTON5 "powexec_name Combat Teleport$$powexec_location target Combat Teleport"

This other Teleport bind  works for some of the other teleports, on warshades as well and the need for using two keys makes sure you don't hit it by accident.

/bind lshift+lbutton "powexecname teleport$$powexecname translocation$$powexecname shadow step$$powexecname black dwarf step"

Left shift plus left mouse button and *BAMF* to your cursor location.

Edited by Vulpoid

I use Combat Teleport a lot and use macros/keybinds for it, and I don't have any issue with it. Perhaps you can share the exact macro you are using and we can have a look?

One thing that comes to mind might be that Combat Teleport queues up if it initially fails, so once queued, it will trigger if the target comes into range, either because they're moving or because the caster is. Perhaps this is what's getting you?

Perhaps a judicious insertion of a powexecabort in there would help.  This will cancel any auto powers you have set up as well, sadly, such as Hasten.

The best alternative is to tap your escape key after a failed combat teleport. Probably not what you're looking for.

• Like 2

I use these and they work great for me.  You might give them a shot if they aren't what you're currently using:

To CT to your target:    /macro Bamf! "powexec_location target Combat Teleport"

To CT straight up from your target:    /macro Up! "powexec_location up:max Combat Teleport"

To CT away/straight back from your target:    /macro Back! "powexec_location back:max Combat Teleport"

Edited by Cancrusher
  • Like 2

The powexeclocation function was rewritten serverside in Issue 27 Page 3 to fix exploits that allowed players to teleport to areas that shouldn't be teleportable (One such example, it was possible to skip the Rock Wall and Mold Wall in the Eden trial).  Unfortunately if the target is not in line-of-sight, the new algorithm can sometimes get hung up on the map's beacons being embedded in geometry.  Some things you can do to help get around this:

• Jump beforehand to make sure your serverside position is more likely to be fully within line of sight of the destination.  This seems to help a lot when teleporting to target.
  • Teleport to cursor instead of to target, so that you're selecting actual geometry (or open air at max range) as a destination.  I personally find that teleporting to cursor is much more reliable, though it requires aiming.
  • Be moving as you also mash the macro/bind, and then use powexecunqueue once you see your teleport animation begin to avoid teleporting twice (Doesn't work with Combat Teleport).
  • Enhance range so that non-LoS beacon path is more likely to still be valid.  Range enhancements and Cardiac/Intuition Alphas are the most accessible options for this.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

4 hours ago, Veracor said:

Enhance range so that non-LoS beacon path is more likely to still be valid.  Range enhancements and Cardiac/Intuition Alphas are the most accessible options for this.

Likely the only options.

Combat Teleport does not accept global range bonuses, only direct enhancement. This includes the +range from Clarion Radial and similar powers that boost "secondary effects."

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

8 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Kudos for using Bamf! Always a big fan of Nightcrawler, so I thought Kitty's bedtime story creating them was great.

I would love to take credit for that idea, but I ripped the macros from another forum topic many moons ago and just copy-pasted them into a word document for future reference.  I'll try to track down the post for proper accreditation, though.  😁👍

Combat Teleport truly is one of the most fun and useful movement powers in the game, though.  To the OP, I strongly encourage you not to give up on it.  Almost all of my characters take it now.  I will find an excuse to work into nearly any concept.  If I can justify it as a natural power I will, otherwise I fluff it as having taken a teleport device off of a defeated Malta Gunslinger. 

❤️ the power that much. 

Edit:  Okay, I have it!  Here's the link to the topic I got those Macro's from...  

Edited by Cancrusher
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Is combat teleport dead?"

No the code is just spaghetti and sometimes the devs have to replace all the old, crusty, dried out noodles with fresh ones, and sometimes, instead of spaghetti, they have to use linguini, or on rare occasions, fettucine.

So, in short, you wanted spaghetti, you got rigatoni, but it'll taste fine with the right sauce regardless.

My recipe is /macro it me "powerexec_location Target Combat Teleport"

This means, when I press tab to target the nearest enemy, i can teleport right on them whenever I press the number it me is on my tray. Or, if I hit capslock to target a friendly, i do the same to them.

Resident certified baby

Thanks all for the macro help! OK, maybe Combat Teleport isn't dead, though I still feel the powexec target macro for it might be.

I had Teleport bound to cursor and Combat Teleport macro'd to target. I'll try reversing the two. Hope the longer range on Teleport avoids the screenful-of-cave-wall result so much.