Broadsword, Axe or Mace to pair with shield?

FenrisWolf44

Does anyone have any experience with any of these combo's? I will only be solo'ing pve missions from 1-50, and for that I'm sure for that they will all be just fine, I was just curious if one is 'significantly' better than the others? If not I'll just go for aesthetics 🙂

I found a few guides here and there, but all were written 3 years ago, and since I've been away from the game several years I don't know if any or all of these weapon sets have been tinkered with, positively or negatively.

Thanks for any advice.

What @Pzn said. Clobber is just stupid DPA. Now personally, BS and Shield look AWESOME. Broadsword and Axe aren't great performers, but they look awesome (to me) paired with shield. I do know you can make BS a good performer, but WM is already there out of the box.

If almost always solo, maybe you'd like BS more? Not sure. It is the one out of those three that has an attack that will boost melee/smash defense temporarily. And you can slot a LOTG recharge in it to boot.

But yea, as for aesthetics, that all comes down to personal taste. I did wm/sd over wm/bio because of aesthetics alone. I have both, and the bio dog walks over shield in terms of damage, but the SD is wayyyyyy less squishy. I've seen some really cool looking BS/SD costumes. Headsplitter feels chocky as all get out. War Mace and BS both feel that way. A big pro, to me, is the amount of -RES you can get out of BS over WM. Taking advantage of -RES is a huge boost in solo performance, but a lot of people don't think about the fact it drastically increases a full team's DPS. The target that has the -RES applied to takes additional damage from EVERYTHING. Not just you. Food for thought.

But overall, if you value damage over those other things, it's clearly WM.

I wish you could do Kat/Shield.

Got bored. Did a BS/SD/Zapp proc build. Just HS-Dis-Hack for the chain. Zapp weaved in when up after Hack. Not sure if the placement for ATO2 is ideal, but whatever.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Broad Sword
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Hack -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), TchofDth-Dam%(3), TchofLadG-%Dam(15), GldStr-%Dam(17), AchHee-ResDeb%(17)
Level 1: Deflection -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(45), Rct-ResDam%(48), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(23), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), RedFrt-Def(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(31)
Level 4: True Grit -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(5), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(5), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(15)
Level 6: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(11)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(37), BlsoftheZ-Travel(47), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(48)
Level 10: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Whirling Sword -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(19), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(34), Ags-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(40)
Level 26: Disembowel -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Hct-Dam%(27), AchHee-ResDeb%(29), GldStr-%Dam(29), TchofDth-Dam%(31)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(45), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), ShlWal-Def(46)
Level 32: Head Splitter -- Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Dam%(33), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(33), AchHee-ResDeb%(33), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(34), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Zapp -- Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(39), Dcm-Build%(39), StnoftheM-Dam%(40), GldJvl-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(42), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(46), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(47), ShlWal-Def(47)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: One with the Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(31)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 14: Double Jump
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
------------

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 2

I think you will find that War Mace and Battle Axe are very similar.  All the powers are roughly equivalent in form and style.  Smashing damage v. lethal damage.  I think War Mace does more damage number wise but I can't guarantee that.  War Mace has a greater variety of "special" mitigation, with knockdown/up and stun, while Axe only has knockdown/up.  They are both good, but in my experience War Mace is more bang for the buck.

Broadsword is a little different.  I feel that the outright damage overall is less than either War Mace or Axe overall, but I can't prove that right now,  Certainly there is nothing that compares to Crowd Control or Pendulum in terms of an epic attack!  Parry is a great power, but I wonder how much use you will get out of it with a defense-based set with Shield.  Having defense debuff built in means that you will have fewer accuracy problems, if any, and that you can sneak in an Achilles proc or two .

At the end of the day, they all get the job done, so go with whatever you think looks the coolest.  Make three!

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 3/21/2022 at 1:48 PM, SomeGuy said:

What @Pzn said. Clobber is just stupid DPA. Now personally, BS and Shield look AWESOME. Broadsword and Axe aren't great performers, but they look awesome (to me) paired with shield. I do know you can make BS a good performer, but WM is already there out of the box.

If almost always solo, maybe you'd like BS more? Not sure. It is the one out of those three that has an attack that will boost melee/smash defense temporarily. And you can slot a LOTG recharge in it to boot.

But yea, as for aesthetics, that all comes down to personal taste. I did wm/sd over wm/bio because of aesthetics alone. I have both, and the bio dog walks over shield in terms of damage, but the SD is wayyyyyy less squishy. I've seen some really cool looking BS/SD costumes. Headsplitter feels chocky as all get out. War Mace and BS both feel that way. A big pro, to me, is the amount of -RES you can get out of BS over WM. Taking advantage of -RES is a huge boost in solo performance, but a lot of people don't think about the fact it drastically increases a full team's DPS. The target that has the -RES applied to takes additional damage from EVERYTHING. Not just you. Food for thought.

But overall, if you value damage over those other things, it's clearly WM.

I wish you could do Kat/Shield.

Got bored. Did a BS/SD/Zapp proc build. Just HS-Dis-Hack for the chain. Zapp weaved in when up after Hack. Not sure if the placement for ATO2 is ideal, but whatever.

Hide contents

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Broad Sword
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Hack -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), TchofDth-Dam%(3), TchofLadG-%Dam(15), GldStr-%Dam(17), AchHee-ResDeb%(17)
Level 1: Deflection -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(45), Rct-ResDam%(48), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(23), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), RedFrt-Def(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(31)
Level 4: True Grit -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(5), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(5), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(15)
Level 6: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(7), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(9), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(11)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(37), BlsoftheZ-Travel(47), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(48)
Level 10: Active Defense -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Whirling Sword -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(19), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-Psi/Status(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(34), Ags-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(40)
Level 26: Disembowel -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Hct-Dam%(27), AchHee-ResDeb%(29), GldStr-%Dam(29), TchofDth-Dam%(31)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(45), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46), ShlWal-Def(46)
Level 32: Head Splitter -- Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Dam%(33), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(33), AchHee-ResDeb%(33), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(34), Erd-%Dam(34)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Zapp -- Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(39), Dcm-Build%(39), StnoftheM-Dam%(40), GldJvl-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Rgn-Dmg(42), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(46), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(47), ShlWal-Def(47)
Level 47: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: One with the Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(31)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Quick Form
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 14: Double Jump
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
------------

Love the build guy. Always have thought about doing an Arthurian Knight sword and board hero.

I think I read somewhere that Sword and Shield are actually really strong on a Stalker. Is that true?

I did an ice melee with shield and used the ice shield visual effect to pair with the ice swords, which you can change to both be the same size via power selections, for another option.  I also have a war mace, which is nice for damage plus paired with the knock up and down, but not back, makes for some fun control.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

• 3 weeks later

I have a BS/shield scrapper I've gotten into the mid 30s, and I'm pretty underwhelmed with him.  BS just feels..... okay at best.  I'm hopeful the Homecoming team will get around to bringing BS and Axe into line with WM, as they could both use a couple of buffs.

I have all 3. And dislike them all, but its because I dislike shield it turns out. 

For me I prefer broadsword. It feels more fluid and fun to play, but mace is overall better. You're going to need to watch end on all 3 though if you arent tricking your character out with IO sets and incarnates.