Cheapest to get rolling…

soulerflare

I need to buckle down and hit 50 with a scrapper so that I can slowly fund all of the more crazy expensive projects I wanna do…

I don’t want to like hardcore farm, just looking for a scrapper that is fun through the leveling process so I don’t get distracted and quit it, but that is also somewhat forgiving with initial load out. (Cheaper io etc) So I can start making some influence. 

I love scrappers and would prefer one of those over a brute. Stalkers are great too but I imagine scrapper is probably the easier pick for this specific need?

I was thinking maybe something like Spines/WP would be a fairly easy start? Anyone have any others that spring to mind?

Edited by soulerflare

1. The best way to make currency is via the market. I'm putting this first since people just assume farming is the best way to get the fat loot. I can get a lot of builds as in most of them done for under 200 Merits. Worst case scenario would be 600ish Merits.

2. Any/any Scrapper will work. It depends on what you have planned with the build once you meet your goal. I look for fun. What that is can be very different than the meta or even what you like. Case in point, I'm not in love with EM, but I recognize why it is popular as I have a level 37 Em/ea.

3. What specific build you take is of minor issue as slotting and total cost for a cheap build will likely be similar enough. Cheap for me is grabbing attuned uncommon IOs. Like in the 1-2 mil range. You slot once and don't care about whatever bonus you are getting since they will be better than SO and common IO slotting anyway. This is what I have planned on a new build who is self funding. Once you have your bank rolling, pop a respec, and switch over to something closer to an end game build. Honestly, you need to hit 27 anyway before some of the better end game options open up.

4. While this might be obvious, the common IO market is dirt cheap compared to what it was on live. I can't imagine a fully done level 25 common IO build is more than 2-3 million. Most of my 50s have level 25 common IO builds. For a new player, this would be the path I would have taken until working the market knowledge kicked in. Now, common IOs for me are essentially End Reduc and Recharge.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

@Without_Pausemakes a great point, what is cheap for one person may not necessarily be cheap for another. And yes with the market it is entirely possible to take a level 1 character to the influence cap with no assistance from any other character (the p2w inspiration power can make inspirations that you can sell on the AH, and then it's a matter of reinvestments and maintaining positive grow on your ROI).

10 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

1. The best way to make currency is via the market. I'm putting this first since people just assume farming is the best way to get the fat loot. I can get a lot of builds as in most of them done for under 200 Merits. Worst case scenario would be 600ish Merits.

2. Any/any Scrapper will work. It depends on what you have planned with the build once you meet your goal. I look for fun. What that is can be very different than the meta or even what you like. Case in point, I'm not in love with EM, but I recognize why it is popular as I have a level 37 Em/ea.

3. What specific build you take is of minor issue as slotting and total cost for a cheap build will likely be similar enough. Cheap for me is grabbing attuned uncommon IOs. Like in the 1-2 mil range. You slot once and don't care about whatever bonus you are getting since they will be better than SO and common IO slotting anyway. This is what I have planned on a new build who is self funding. Once you have your bank rolling, pop a respec, and switch over to something closer to an end game build. Honestly, you need to hit 27 anyway before some of the better end game options open up.

4. While this might be obvious, the common IO market is dirt cheap compared to what it was on live. I can't imagine a fully done level 25 common IO build is more than 2-3 million. Most of my 50s have level 25 common IO builds. For a new player, this would be the path I would have taken until working the market knowledge kicked in. Now, common IOs for me are essentially End Reduc and Recharge.

This is great info. Thanks for taking the time. 

with the market and the merits…are you buying converters and then buying cheap/recipes and doing conversions to expensive ones? I’m still green and not familiar with knowing which ones to in set and which ones to type convert etc. etc. but can see how that would be profitable. 

I’ve just been making 25 common ios at 22 and then seeing how the build does after that. The ATOs and the endurance proc ones are all sooooo expensive. But it’s usually big endurance issues that turn me off a build so I usually try to prioritize those. 

28 minutes ago, soulerflare said:

This is great info. Thanks for taking the time. 

with the market and the merits…are you buying converters and then buying cheap/recipes and doing conversions to expensive ones? I’m still green and not familiar with knowing which ones to in set and which ones to type convert etc. etc. but can see how that would be profitable. 

I’ve just been making 25 common ios at 22 and then seeing how the build does after that. The ATOs and the endurance proc ones are all sooooo expensive. But it’s usually big endurance issues that turn me off a build so I usually try to prioritize those. 

This is one mere example as it is currently one of many I have done and there are even more ways to do this. Grab any level 41 Red Fortune recipe. They are going for roughly 2 mill right now. Craft and convert it for two converters using the same Defense type. Do not do same rarity or within the same set. You will get a rare Def IO. Sell that for +2x times what you bought the recipe for depending on what you get. You will over time figure out what the market sells things for so you can kind of put brain dead pricing on what you list. LotG go for more more. The LotG +Recharge is the ideal. 7 mill is what they tend to go for. I list a bit under.

Why does that work?

1. At level 41, the only other sets are rares so there is zero chance of getting another uncommon. This happens for other recipes. This is likely just the best bang/buck instance.
  2. You can do this for higher level recipes, but the crafting cost is higher.
  3. The market doesn't care about IO level or if it is attuned or not. You sell a level 41 IO to someone who is magically buying a level 25 version of said IO. 

You can by all means take any LotG IOs which aren't the +Recharge and convert within the same set for 3 converters. Odds are the profit off of the IO will cover the additional converters used. I don't do this as I'm lazy. Craft, 2 converters, list. At some point you do this in stacks, ie 10 at a time. I'm working towards the last crafting badge(2k) so I'm grabbing 10 stacks at a time and work through them as I can.

Yes, all of this is kind of repetitive annoying, but I can be done with the market in like 5 minutes and go back to doing content. I also have a second account and do farm, but only due to PLing my own characters as needed, and that's honestly rare. I know at one point I did it once in 2 months.

"Won't my knowing what you do impact you?"

No. My current marketer has generated 1.6 billion on hand. This says nothing of what they and my previous marketer has raised for builds or the 100 Winter packs and some other Hero packs I have bought. I'm borderline making a plan for semi-retiring from the market anyway. When I can plan out to have bins full of the IOs you find "sooooo expensive," then I can afford to take some time off.

Any build I strip of IOs for any reason get stored for the next time I need them. Them being attuned just means they can be slotted asap.

RE: Any/any Scrapper. Let's not act like a Scrapper using a Melee AoE isn't looking to slot a Obliteration set in it and those go roughly for 2 mil per IO. Slotting isn't THAT different.

P.S. People on live would kill for prices we have now.

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

P.S. People on live would kill for prices we have now.

Truth! My average build on live used to be around 8.5-10 billion influence. Mind you I had over a thousand Hami-Os to list when the AH was first introduced back then so it was easy for me to slot out my toons.

My average build here is around 400 mil adjusted for inflation over the last few years of Homecoming. So that gives an idea of how the economy here varied to the live economy (note here salvage is seeded, I personally wouldn't mind recipes being seeded as well but that's an aside).

You should not pick the cheapest one. You should pick the one that is going to be the most fun. Because there is a variable of a grind at the end. You won't make it without having fun.

With that being said. This community has been very kind to me by teaching me how to make money and how to make merit's and how to turn those merits into reward merits and how to turn Reward merits into enhancements. They have taught me how to craft using recipes, etc.

So the fact is that you don't have to grind for influence in order to complete your build. You essentially have to grind for merits and then you turn those merits into reward merits. Which basically means you are doing cool in-game stuff, including raiding to build your character out.

Which brings me back to the point. It doesn't matter what you choose. What you need to do is pick something that you love play.

" so I don’t get distracted and quit it, " = 100% Pick something that you want to play, Don't set yourself up for failure by not doing that. For me that is Titan weapon / bio armor scrapper and fire fire fire blaster. I am a damaged Junkie and both of those give me my power fix. And even though almost everybody else hates Titan weapons, I love them. I don't just love them for the damage, I love them for the attacks. I even sort of custom built my build around keeping attacks that other in-game builds took out of the loop in order to maximize a DPS rotation.

If you want to meet in game, I will walk you through the process, the way that somebody else has walk me through the process. You just let me know what time is convenient for you, and I will log on and show you the ropes.

Edited by Kodo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the long response but:

11 hours ago, soulerflare said:

I need to buckle down and hit 50 with a scrapper so that I can slowly fund all of the more crazy expensive projects I wanna do…

I don’t want to like hardcore farm, just looking for a scrapper that is fun through the leveling process so I don’t get distracted and quit it, but that is also somewhat forgiving with initial load out. (Cheaper io etc) So I can start making some influence. 

My OG Homecoming character was chosen specifically because I felt it would be the cheapest scrapper to get up and running and I was in exactly your position.

Dual Blades/Super Reflexes

SR is definitely the easiest secondary to get to “good enough” survivability, requiring barely any defensive set bonuses or anything. In fact, grab CJ, weave and the two +def uniques and you’re pretty much soft capped with just level 50 IOs.

Dual Blades is very easy to get an AV-soloing attack chain online without much in the way of expensive recharge set bonuses. The Blinding Feint->Attack Vitals chain is awesome, does decent passive AoE as a bonus, and only requires around 28% global recharge, which, bingo, Quickness takes care of the first 20%. Other than this, all you really need is the PBAoE (Typhoon’s Edge). Dual Blades does good single target and decent AoE damage without needing help from pools or epics, this chain is relatively endurance cheap, doesn’t require hasten, just a great reliable workhorse attack chain. 

the beauty of this combo is that so long as you have 45% M/R/A defenses and the BF->AV chain up and running, you don’t really “need” anything else (though I always take the PBAoE attack as well). This means you have a lot of room for flavor powers or more of your epic pool, and also means you can have a lot more fun messing with set bonuses one normally doesn’t get to build around, and there is a lot of growth potential to reward your investment. I’ve probably rebuilt this toon more than a hundred times haha! I’ve made all out damage builds focused on procs that took pylons down in 1:20-1:30, I’ve made builds that cranked all the resists to ~38 percent at FULL HEALTH and could pop Rune of Protection on top of that and were basically unkillable. I’ve make ridiculous theme builds that took and slotted powers or pools I’ve never even considered touching before! I’ve made SO builds that can do stuff SO scrapper builds shouldn’t be able to do.

Whew! Sorry for unloading all that! This is something I’ve thought weirdly a ton about basically since the OG game got shut down, but it’s still my favorite build of all time and one that I hope I can inspire more folks to check out!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, leeowensoas said:

My OG Homecoming character was chosen specifically because I felt it would be the cheapest scrapper to get up and running and I was in exactly your position.

SR is definitely the easiest secondary to get to “good enough” survivability, requiring barely any defensive set bonuses or anything. In fact, grab CJ, weave and the two +def uniques and you’re pretty much soft capped with just level 50 IOs.

Dual Blades is very easy to get an AV-soloing attack chain online without much in the way of expensive recharge set bonuses. The Blinding Feint->Attack Vitals chain is awesome, does decent passive AoE as a bonus, and only requires around 28% global recharge, which, bingo, Quickness takes care of the first 20%. Other than this, all you really need is the PBAoE (Typhoon’s Edge). Dual Blades does good single target and decent AoE damage without needing help from pools or epics, this chain is relatively endurance cheap, doesn’t require hasten, just a great reliable workhorse attack chain. 

the beauty of this combo is that so long as you have 45% M/R/A defenses and the BF->AV chain up and running, you don’t really “need” anything else (though I always take the PBAoE attack as well). This means you have a lot of room for flavor powers or more of your epic pool, and also means you can have a lot more fun messing with set bonuses one normally doesn’t get to build around, and there is a lot of growth potential to reward your investment. I’ve probably rebuilt this toon more than a hundred times haha! I’ve made all out damage builds focused on procs that took pylons down in 1:20-1:30, I’ve made builds that cranked all the resists to ~38 percent at FULL HEALTH and could pop Rune of Protection on top of that and were basically unkillable. I’ve make ridiculous theme builds that took and slotted powers or pools I’ve never even considered touching before! I’ve made SO builds that can do stuff SO scrapper builds shouldn’t be able to do.

Whew! Sorry for unloading all that! This is something I’ve thought weirdly a ton about basically since the OG game got shut down, but it’s still my favorite build of all time and one that I hope I can inspire more folks to check out!

this is what I was gonna say. And also has room to make super expensive later on too if you want to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leeowensoas said:

Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for. I’ve been wanting to try DB anyways! Awesome. Thank you. 

My only qualm with DB is I don't know what it does better than Claws. More so on a Scrapper. You have an attack chain by 8. An even better one at 18. You only need two of the AoEs. You can skip Evis. Plus, you get two ranged attacks out of the box. Now, Scrapper Claws has lower recharge on Spin so if we are talking Claws on a Brute or Tank, then I can see more of a case for DB. I'm not even saying DB is bad because it isn't. It is still quite good. It just isn't Claws. :)

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

17 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

My only qualm with DB is I don't know what it does better than Claws. More so on a Scrapper. You have an attack chain by 8. An even better one at 18. You only need two of the AoEs. You can skip Evis. Plus, you get two ranged attacks out of the box. Now, Scrapper Claws has lower recharge on Spin so if we are talking Claws on a Brute or Tank, then I can see more of a case for DB. I'm not even saying DB is bad because it isn't. It is still quite good. It just isn't Claws. :)

Haha brace yourself, here comes the sequel to my last novel:

Thing 1: sooo many better weapon models/theme that isn’t just ripping off Wolverine. Obviously this has no bearing on numerical performance, but I can probably come up with 3 cool and original DB concepts to every 1 I can think of for Claws.

Thing 2: flexibility - at low levels of recharge DB gets a better attack chain, this means for builds like WP or Stone that don’t benefit much from Global Recharge, you can essentially skip global recharge in your builds beyond tossing in 5 LotGs

Thing 3: In terms of tangible benefits there are sometimes things that are hard to quantify with pure DPS numbers (though I’ll get to those in a moment). Biggest among this for me is that sustained DPS is only super relevant on giant hard targets. To me at least, DB attacks, especially loaded with procs which will always fire at a higher rate than they would in Claws powers, feel comparatively much more chunky, in terms of things like wiping out that last slice of health in 1 hit rather than 2, or quickly one-shotting a priority minion or Lt. Obviously in the long run that isn’t some tremendous advantage from a power gaming standpoint, but for standard gameplay at least, I find it makes your individual attacks feel far less anemic and more satisfying. Again this is more taste than anything but there are times it makes a fair amount of difference.

From a more mathematical/power gaming standpoint:

Claws demonstrably does better AoE damage, this is more or less beyond any sort of debate, Spin is king, especially with 2-3x Follow Up and the Critical Strikes proc in Follow Up. However, one thing that does help DB a bit is that Follow Up pretty much always demands fully slotted recharge, which means a much lower proc rate for the CS proc. By contrast, it’s not too difficult to slot minimal recharge in Blinding Feint (just the .2319 from the CS proc) and still get an optimal attack chain, which means a significantly higher proc rate and by extension, significantly more crits on your Sweeping Strikes and Typhoon’s Edge than you’ll get on Spin and Shockwave. While this certainly isn’t enough to catch up with Claws (which pound for pound is almost certainly the best AoE set available to scrappers, period), it does allow you to get DB to a pretty good place with AoE damage.

However, and this is the BIGGEST one, I would consider these my two most played sets in the game, and at least in my experience, in all but the edgiest of edge cases, I have found DB to do better single target DPS than Claws. Due to Claws powers’ inherent low recharge and animation times, it doesn’t do great for proccing out (other than getting those lovely purple sets). Even though it may not seem that great of a difference at first, Ablating Strikes will always proc more -res procs than Slash, and Sweeping Strikes works in an additional -res. Blinding Feint will Proc more Critical Strikes than Follow Up. Beyond this, Claws demands such unreasonable amounts of recharge (which it fortunately makes easy to slot for with opportunities for every purple damage set) that you often either have to settle for an attack chain with gaps, a sub optimal chain, or sacrifice any other slotting options to the recharge gods. DB also has a crazy 213.5% global recharge chain like Claws, but the [Empower]->Sweeping Strikes chain requires wayyyy less recharge, allowing for better proc slotting and more flexible building, and thanks to the constant +100% damage bonus, can even outdamage the BF->AS->SS->AS chain when built right. At low levels of recharge, the BF->[Attack Vitals] chain has got to be one of the best DPS chain for any primary at <30% global recharge, while I find at such levels Claws’ single target damage really suffers, it is much more reliant on those double and triple stacked +dmg bonuses from Follow Up.

Obviously there are other people who know more about these sets than I do (though for the DB/SR combo specifically I genuinely believe I may have thought about it more than any other person on planet earth lol, I spent a good 4 years just theorycrafting that combo on mids before the game came back), or are just better builders/number crunchers than I am, but I can definitely say in 90%+ of build situations, it will be easier to get higher single target DPS with Dual Blades, but Claws will always do better AoE. For instance, even paired with the legendary /Bio, I struggle to get Claws to comparable pylon times to my humble DB/SR.

19 hours ago, soulerflare said:

Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for. I’ve been wanting to try DB anyways! Awesome. Thank you. 

My pleasure! If you have any build questions or want me to mock something up for you for any price point just shoot me a message!

6 hours ago, leeowensoas said:

Haha brace yourself, here comes the sequel to my last novel:

That's neat. What to talk about mitigation with two different KD powers and the fact Claws has two ranged attacks? Did you factor that into your spreadsheet DPS? Claws can AoE KD from range while DB is still moving into melee.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

Claws is great.  Dual blades is great.  So is Energy Melee, War Mace, Titan Weapons, Dark Melee, and Katana (these are the primaries I'm most familiar with).  Quibbling over the best for leveling is kinda silly.  I've soloed with all of those primaries and they're all solid.  My advice is pair one of those with either Willpower or Bio and play every solo arc you can for the Merits.  Add in a few TFs (solo or with a team) and you'll level pretty fast while you're piling up Merits.   You'll have a couple grand when you're finished.  even with 2x XP.  Then you just need to decide what to do with the Merits.  That question is better answered in the Market forum I guess, but I'd buy cheap yellow recipes in bulk, craft them, and convert to Rares.

16 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

That's neat. What to talk about mitigation with two different KD powers and the fact Claws has two ranged attacks? Did you factor that into your spreadsheet DPS? Claws can AoE KD from range while DB is still moving into melee.

I wasn’t trying to argue with anyone homie, so I’m not sure why I’m getting such a snarky tone back from you. I was just giving my personal 2 cents (which I gave as a disclaimer several times), and I certainly wasn’t trying to crap on Claws. Overall it’s probably the slightly stronger set, but the question was “why would I take Dual Blades”, so I offered my opinions on the things it does better/different from Claws; especially given that this is a thread where someone asked for advice, I tried to be thorough in laying out the distinctions. The length of my response was in no way meant to come across as combative or argumentative against your statement, and if it came across that way I apologize. I can get pretty enthusiastic about my two favorite sets lol

15 hours ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

play every solo arc you can for the Merits.  Add in a few TFs (solo or with a team) and you'll level pretty fast while you're piling up Merits.   You'll have a couple grand when you're finished.  even with 2x XP.  Then you just need to decide what to do with the Merits. 

In response to the original question of the thread

On 4/8/2022 at 7:04 AM, soulerflare said:

this is really the best advice over any specific power set or combo. Especially doing the arcs in Atlas, Hollows, Faultline, Striga, Croatoa, RWZ, and Dark Astoria, which give 20 bonus merits for completing every arc in the zone. Add on 240 merits from running the Signature Story Arcs and 270 from exploration accolades, and you will have a great little nest egg of merits to get started. Like @Ignatz the Insane said a couple thousand merits is easily enough to get going at level 50. Even if you buy recipes directly with merits (which usually is less cost efficient than the conversion game), with 2500 merits you can easily buy both your ATO sets and pretty much all the “every single build” enhancements: the LotGs, Numina, Miracle, Kismet, Steadfast, PVPs, etc. Love the recommendation on WP as well! I personally picked SR because you essentially only *need* the two +def IOs to soft cap it, which even someone flat broke can get ahold of with minimal effort, but I’d say WP is probably a smoother leveling experience, and is the other set that requires the least build experience and investment to get to a good survivability baseline. Probably the two best “beginner” sets, though SR has a rougher go of it 1-35

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, leeowensoas said:

In response to the original question of the thread

this is really the best advice over any specific power set or combo. Especially doing the arcs in Atlas, Hollows, Faultline, Striga, Croatoa, RWZ, and Dark Astoria, which give 20 bonus merits for completing every arc in the zone. Add on 240 merits from running the Signature Story Arcs and 270 from exploration accolades, and you will have a great little nest egg of merits to get started. Like @Ignatz the Insane said a couple thousand merits is easily enough to get going at level 50. Even if you buy recipes directly with merits (which usually is less cost efficient than the conversion game), with 2500 merits you can easily buy both your ATO sets and pretty much all the “every single build” enhancements: the LotGs, Numina, Miracle, Kismet, Steadfast, PVPs, etc. Love the recommendation on WP as well! I personally picked SR because you essentially only *need* the two +def IOs to soft cap it, which even someone flat broke can get ahold of with minimal effort, but I’d say WP is probably a smoother leveling experience, and is the other set that requires the least build experience and investment to get to a good survivability baseline. Probably the two best “beginner” sets, though SR has a rougher go of it 1-35

This is great advice. And I’ve been following @Without_Pauseadvice about making influence as well and have stocked up quite a nice sum over the past few days. (Well. Nice to me. Lol. Enough to buy panacea and some defense io thingies!)

I’ve been running the DB/SR combo and liking it a lot. Mainly running story arcs for merits. I really like to do the Kings Row ones to see how a build does vs Chernobog and Veles early on. It’s been going well!

Only qualm is endurance issues but with enhancements soon that won’t hurt as much!

• Like 1

It's super obvious, but doing the WST earns double Merits. Each Posi and Yin can be done in 30 minutes or under on sane teams. Posi is 11 and 15 Merits. Yin is 20. I was on a red side TF doing a speed version, and I think the time was like 13 minutes or some sort of whiplash time. Stalkers are actually quite good at Merit farming when factoring in non-TF content although I think maybe the old Yin TF is one they can specialize in.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

13 hours ago, leeowensoas said:

I wasn’t trying to argue with anyone homie, so I’m not sure why I’m getting such a snarky tone back from you. I was just giving my personal 2 cents (which I gave as a disclaimer several times), and I certainly wasn’t trying to crap on Claws. Overall it’s probably the slightly stronger set, but the question was “why would I take Dual Blades”, so I offered my opinions on the things it does better/different from Claws; especially given that this is a thread where someone asked for advice, I tried to be thorough in laying out the distinctions. The length of my response was in no way meant to come across as combative or argumentative against your statement, and if it came across that way I apologize. I can get pretty enthusiastic about my two favorite sets lol

No ill will sent. I blame the lateness. I have been talking to someone via messages about Claws, DB, and Kat offering pros and cons. They came away with all three sets seeming to work out. I have rolled a couple DB including one recently who is up to 16. I never really did IOs on live so I'm revisiting various sets now.

Some of us don't have a problem thinking of a character once we get past the idea of playing Claws and not be THAT guy. 

pic6793051.png

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.