Building an all purpose character

meowkittyface

Hey all! I am extremely indecisive (due to diagnosed OCD). I have a really hard time choosing from a variety of options, especially in a game that has so many.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a character that can do the following three things. I don't have to do them perfectly, but I'd like to do them all. The only classes I have no interest in are Masterminds and Sentinels (I just dont jive with either).

1) Have fun in a group setting

2) Solo missions at +4/x8

3) Solo kill GMs and AVs

Not sure if this is a tall task or not, but if anyone has any recommendation of an archetype and powerset to run, as well as a build, I will be eternally grateful!

It is a bit of a tall ask. 

Fun is subjective. 

Most ATs have power combos that can solo max diff missions. 

Most AT have power combos that can solo AVs, and potentially GMs. 

Note, these power combos may or may not be the same set. 

A pretty safe pick for just ease of play that can do most of what you want will likely be the Scrapper AT. The can solo most mission difficulties and many AVs. Blasters can potentially solo GMs and AVs but max diff missions may be annoying (they can certainly do it; how easy is build dependent). 

Defenders and Tankers can also be fairly easy to pick up and play. They both innately have high mitigation values which can allow for them to explore other damage potential in the IO system. Is it on par with the hardcore damage ATs? Depends on what you pick and a whole lot of "maybe". 

It may be easier to narrow your choices down by playstyle. 

Do you like the idea of using crowd control powers? If yes, then maybe Controllers or Dominators are for you. 

Do you like the idea of supporting your team with debuff effects? Defenders, Corruptors, and Controllers may be for you. 

Do you like the idea of getting right in your enemy's face? Any of the melee ATs and certain Blaster set ups may be for you. 

Do you wanna just range pew-pew? Defenders, Corruptors, and Blasters may be for you. 

Final thought... 

There is no shame in running solo missions at +0/x0, +2/x6, or any other combination of difficulty. No one is going to pull your CoH player card except for the most elitist of jackasses. 

• Thumbs Up 5

An Illusion/ Controller with any of the debuff secondaries, preferably that offer consistent high values of -regen, is probably the most obvious pick here. /Cold, /Traps, or /Rad would be my top 3 picks for you to have the easiest time on AV’s and GM’s, but many others will work. These ensure that you will have zero problems with (2) and (3) while still having a generally team oriented archetype for (1).

Illusion/Darkness Affinity Controller FTW.  You can solo AVs and GMs, provide great debuffs, and great team buffs.  Even better, your fantastic team buff in Fade also obscures people's costumes, thereby annoying your teammates!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Illusion/Darkness Affinity Controller FTW.  You can solo AVs and GMs, provide great debuffs, and great team buffs.  Even better, your fantastic team buff in Fade also obscures people's costumes, thereby annoying your teammates!

I’ve heard that Ill/Dark makes you feel Godlike because you just…. Can do anything lol.

7 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

I’ve heard that Ill/Dark makes you feel Godlike because you just…. Can do anything lol.

Yep.  It's very clicky... click, click, click... but with those clicks, you can do just about anything.  Damage, tank, heal, buff, debuff.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

I have Ill/Storm, Ill/Dark, Ill/TA, Ill/Traps. All are OP, but only caveat with Dark is it’s the lowest on solo damage of the 4 without investment in particular pools or APP’s/PPP’s. I’ve made it every bit as capable of burning through AV HP bars as others, but I had to respec into specific pool stuff to do that well. The AV’s that I drop in a few minutes now were taking forever to kill with my original build, which was pretty bad. Do not expect the damage from primary and secondary alone to elegantly slay a level 54 AV.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, arcane said:

I have Ill/Storm, Ill/Dark, Ill/TA, Ill/Traps. All are OP, but only caveat with Dark is it’s the lowest on solo damage of the 4 without investment in particular pools or APP’s/PPP’s. I’ve made it every bit as capable of burning through AV HP bars as others, but I had to respec into specific pool stuff to do that well. The AV’s that I drop in a few minutes now were taking forever to kill with my original build, which was pretty bad. Do not expect the damage from primary and secondary alone to elegantly slay a level 54 AV.

Good to know! Which APP/PPP’s do you use?

Just now, StriderIV said:

Good to know! Which APP/PPP’s do you use?

My Ill/Dark has all of these now: Arcane Bolt, Enflame, Poisonous Ray, and Toxic Tarantula. Turned >30 minutes to kill a 54 AV into <5.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arcane said:

My Ill/Dark has all of these now: Arcane Bolt, Enflame, Poisonous Ray, and Toxic Tarantula. Turned >30 minutes to kill a 54 AV into <5.

I actually started a “Green Lantern” hero thread, and Illusion/Dark I think could make a great GL hero haha @Apparition

Ill/Poison is also good for soloing AVs. Mine has Stone Mastery.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I see a lot of Illusion here, which is a great set for all of the above, but have you also considered a Defender?  A well built Defender is an absolute monster in any setting.  I have a Thermal/Ice that's capable of full strength solo jobs, AVs and GMs, and when she's in a team she's a major force multiplier.  The +4x8 is the most difficult, she's still squishy and doesn't have much for damage mitigation against herself (Thermal doesn't really have anything to reduce incoming damage on the caster, just their teammates) but most things die very quickly when Melt Armor and Blizzard are dropped together.

From my understanding, Time, Dark, and Traps are extremely good sets on Defenders and are capable of covering every aspect you're looking for with ease, though it may still take some work getting the numbers you really want.  And in the damage department, you have Fire, Water, Ice and Dual Pistols to cover your desires for damage and support debuffs (minus Fire). Though anything really could work with some effort.

• Like 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.