How common is Dual Pistols/Martial Combat?

Bojutsu

Because I bet it has been a very popular power set combination. A lot of gun-fu/John Wick type of characters...

I've been back to the game now for about a month after not playing for 10+ years. I've been having a great time. I have made 12 characters so far, and have plans for at least 2 more.

I ask because I'm curious, and I'm going to make one myself. I was drawn to Martial Combat because it looks fun, especially Burst of Speed. Dual Pistols does seem like a good fit for Martial Combat, and it's still a new power set to me. I've never played it before, although I did have a high level Martial Arts Scrapper on "Live". 

Thanks.

Global handle Bojutsu

• Like 1

I agree with Xandyr.  It's surprisingly tough, too (or at least it can be).  I usually play brutes, but I really wanted to get one of all 10 basic ATs to 50.  I could not for the life of me find a blaster that was anywhere near tolerable; they just die too easily.  DP/Martial fixed that.  I was inspired by a friend who has one that he TANKS with, if you can believe it.  It's a surprisingly durable combo, and definitely a good time all around.  I highly recommend it.

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

19 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

I agree with Xandyr.  It's surprisingly tough, too (or at least it can be).  I usually play brutes, but I really wanted to get one of all 10 basic ATs to 50.  I could not for the life of me find a blaster that was anywhere near tolerable; they just die too easily.  DP/Martial fixed that.  I was inspired by a friend who has one that he TANKS with, if you can believe it.  It's a surprisingly durable combo, and definitely a good time all around.  I highly recommend it.

Yep...mine has soft capped defenses. My fire/ninja is soft capped too. However, the DP/Martial is a lot more fun (less damaging, but more fun).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

Yep...mine has soft capped defenses. My fire/ninja is soft capped too. However, the DP/Martial is a lot more fun (less damaging, but more fun).

Ki pushing someone away and shooting them while they’re airborne sounds like a blast. Is the main reason for the lower damage because DP/Martial lacks a build up power?

13 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Ki pushing someone away and shooting them while they’re airborne sounds like a blast. Is the main reason for the lower damage because DP/Martial lacks a build up power?

No BU, and Hail Of Bullets is one of the lowest damaging "nukes". I guess the tradeoff is having Swap Ammo (for different secondary effects), the Defense boost you get from HoB, and a faster recharge.

And yes...Ki Push, then shooting them as they slowly fly away from you NEVER gets old.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Ki pushing someone away and shooting them while they’re airborne sounds like a blast. 

I refer to this move as "super-yeet", and will never ever stop doing so 😛.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

I have one!  Ballistic Flea. 

Add Combat Teleport and Speed of Sound's Jaunt TP and you can be a teleporting maniac.  A few binds/macros and it's too much fun.  Burst of Speed, roundhouse kick to the face (Eagle's Claw), Hail of Bullets, Combat Teleport/Jaunt back to get out of melee.

I also have a DP/Ninja Sentinel that's an Equilibrium homage: Cleric Flea!

Edited by Bionic_Flea

16 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I have one!  Ballistic Flea. 

Add Combat Teleport and Speed of Sound's Jaunt TP and you can be a teleporting maniac.  A few binds/macros and it's too much fun.  Burst of Speed, roundhouse kick to the face (Eagle's Claw), Hail of Bullets, Combat Teleport/Jaunt back to get out of melee.

Straight up there.

I have rolled a DP/MC about two weeks ago based on some conversations I had with Blapperella during a TF.  On live I was a Blaster snob, totally looked down at Blappers.  But with HC I promised myself that I would try to get as much variety of enjoyment from it while I could.  So I made this Blapper did the reading and executed it and I have to say, I am having a blast playing it.  I was a on a team doing TFs and I was murdering the mobs that were being herded.  Dropped the Empty Clips cone then BoS, Scorpion's Tail, bunce out and unleash the Bullet Rain.  Don't even have my Alpha yet but the mobs melted.  Stray dogs dot the cone as it had recharged.

There is fine tuning with the teleportation, because learning and macro writing but yeah, its fun as all get out and I don't even care about the gun fu stuff.  Also this is with no teleportation beyond BoS and using only SO enhancements, no IO or Sets.  Now I am also not freaking out about getting hit because I am a Blaster, debt is a warm blanket to me 🙂

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I’d say its likely one of the more popular combinations. It is my personal favorite blaster and the owner of my global handle. It is one of my favorite characters overall. 

On live I mainly played melee (mostly brutes). I barely dabbled in ranged with corrupters mainly. When I got on homecoming I still mainly did melee at first, but decided to try my hand at something else.  DP/MC is what broke me out of the melee armor shell. It is amazingly fun. I find that it still does great damage and have honestly never been disappointed with it. Fun factor is top notch though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saikochoro said:

I’d say its likely one of the more popular combinations. It is my personal favorite blaster and the owner of my global handle. It is one of my favorite characters overall. 

On live I mainly played melee (mostly brutes). I barely dabbled in ranged with corrupters mainly. When I got on homecoming I still mainly did melee at first, but decided to try my hand at something else.  DP/MC is what broke me out of the melee armor shell. It is amazingly fun. I find that it still does great damage and have honestly never been disappointed with it. Fun factor is top notch though. 

Sai! You’ve mentioned that this was probably one of the most fun combos in the game. Would you have a build to share?

Here are three builds: note all three builds rely on force feedback and base buffs to supplement global recharge.

Defense Build

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Martial Combat
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Pistols -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(11), ShlBrk-%Dam(11), TchofLadG-%Dam(13), GldJvl-Dam%(13), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(15)
Level 1: Ki Push -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Storm Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 4: Reach for the Limit 
Level 6: Swap Ammo 
Level 8: Bullet Rain -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(15), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 10: Burst of Speed -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(40)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(42), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(17), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(19), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(21)
Level 18: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(21), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23)
Level 20: Executioner's Shot -- HO:Nucle(A), Apc-Dmg(43), Apc-Dam%(43), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(43), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(45), TchofLadG-%Dam(45)
Level 22: Dragon's Tail -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(46), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Obl-%Dam(50)
Level 24: Reaction Time -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg(31), PrfShf-End%(36), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)
Level 28: Inner Will -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg(42)
Level 30: Suppressive Fire -- HO:Nucle(A), GldNet-Dam%(47), UnbCns-Dam%(47), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(49), NrnSht-Dam%(50), GldJvl-Dam%(50)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dam%(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 38: Eagles Claw -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Hct-Dam%(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(45)
Level 44: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 49: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 6: Chemical Ammunition 
Level 6: Cryo Ammunition 
Level 6: Incendiary Ammunition 
Level 49: Double Jump 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
------------

Resistance with Rune: better mitigation, less procs.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Power Pool: Sorcery
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Pistols -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), AchHee-ResDeb%(7)
Level 1: Ki Push -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(7), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 2: Storm Kick -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), TchofDth-Dam%(15)
Level 8: Bullet Rain -- Bmbdmt-Dam(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(17), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(17), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(19), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(19), FrcFdb-Rechg%(21)
Level 10: Burst of Speed -- Obl-Acc/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(21), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(23), ScrDrv-Dam%(23), Erd-%Dam(25), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25)
Level 12: Suppressive Fire -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), GldJvl-Dam%(27), GldNet-Dam%(27), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(29), NrnSht-Dam%(29), UnbCns-Dam%(31)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(31), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(33)
Level 20: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(34), Rct-ResDam%(34)
Level 22: Executioner's Shot -- HO:Nucle(A), Apc-Dmg(34), Apc-Dam%(36), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(36), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(36), TchofLadG-%Dam(37)
Level 24: Reaction Time -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(37), Prv-Heal/Rchg(37), PrfShf-EndMod(39), PrfShf-End%(39)
Level 26: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 28: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 30: Rune of Protection -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(40), UnbGrd-Max HP%(40)
Level 32: Inner Will -- Prv-Heal/Rchg(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(40)
Level 35: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(42), Arm-Dam%(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 38: Eagles Claw -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dam%(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 41: Dragon's Tail -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(46), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Charged Armor -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(48), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 49: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 49: Speed Phase 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
------------

Resistance no rune: more procs, less mitigation options.

Spoiler

Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Pistols -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(7), GldJvl-Dam%(36), TchofLadG-%Dam(37), ShlBrk-%Dam(37), AchHee-ResDeb%(37)
Level 1: Ki Push -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(40), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(42), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), TchofDth-Dam%(43), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48)
Level 2: Storm Kick -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(3), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(3), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), TchofDth-Dam%(5), Mk'Bit-Dam%(7)
Level 8: Bullet Rain -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 10: Burst of Speed -- HO:Nucle(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(11), Obl-%Dam(11), Erd-%Dam(17), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(29), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(31)
Level 12: Suppressive Fire -- HO:Nucle(A), GldJvl-Dam%(13), GldNet-Dam%(13), NrnSht-Dam%(15), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(15), UnbCns-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43), Rct-ResDam%(48)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- HO:Nucle(A), Apc-Dmg(19), Apc-Dam%(19), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(23), TchofLadG-%Dam(27), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg(29)
Level 20: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(21), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(21), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Reaction Time -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(25), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(25), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(27), DctWnd-Heal(46), PrfShf-End%(48)
Level 26: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(50), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(50), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 30: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dam%(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 35: Inner Will -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(36), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg(43), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(46), Prv-Absorb%(46)
Level 38: Eagles Claw -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg(39), Hct-Dam%(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 44: Charged Armor -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(45), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(45), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 47: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 47: Double Jump 
Level 50: Melee Core Genome 
------------

Take the following with a grain of salt because it is anecdotal. After testing them out, the defense one wins hands down on the mitigation side.  I was really excited to try a resistance based one, but scorpion shield is just flat out better.  Even without DDR.  I tested them by fighting the mobs (tried to get large groups with multiple bosses and LTs) in Cimemora and the defense based build consistently survived way better than the resistance ones. It could easily kill the entire mobs with multiple bosses and still have lots of health left, but the resistance based ones would often die trying the same thing. I think in a group though that the resistance ones might be better because I feel that defense buffs are more common than resistance buffs.

Edited by Saikochoro

I almost cried when this game came back. I immediately recreated all my heroes, including my first ever hero from 2004, which was an AR/Dev. AR/Dev is a ton better here than it was on live, and as yet, I still only have two max level characters. The only one I play regularly and work on Incarnates with is my DP/MA Blaster, not the AR/Dev, a character that despite holding a special place in my heart, is still only 41. It is astoundingly fun, and thematically, a great combination (to me).

Forget how common they are or aren't. Just run with it.

A little follow up.  At 35, have the Alphas now and still remains fun.  Now understand that I am just running SOs (other than an LotG in CJ) but have not face planted (except that one time I got a heel caught in a Council base floor grate).  No real defense or Resist mitigation yet except Tough with two slots and CJ.  Now I am not saying I saw through red and purple enemies but on a team I am still melting the enemy, flashing in, spinning and flashing out.  It's a really fun set.

• Thumbs Up 3

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)