Psychic Blast / Martial Combat build help

Yokozuna

Howdy friends. This is my first build attempt at a blaster, much less this pairing. There's a weird choice of throw sand, which I don't think is that popular, but is a thematic must for my character. The slotting, however, was me trying to make the best out of a knowingly bad power pick (I'm a slave to theme, what can I say). Anyway, any feed back would be appreciated!

psy martial.mxd

Having played in game and leveling up more, I'm finding a pretty big disconnect between the extreme distances psychic offers, and the melee of martial (specifically, that burst, dragon's tail, and eagle claw are underwhelming). I am leaning towards taking those out, though this has a noticeable impact on my defense (specifically smashing/lethal and fire/cold). However, I could add in will domination to bump things up ever so slightly, and add a fly-hover LOTG package to bump up the ol' recharge a little. However I defer to anyone who knows what they're talking about!

• 1 month later
On 6/27/2022 at 11:53 AM, MRPINK said:

'm finding a pretty big disconnect between the extreme distances psychic offers, and the melee of martial (specifically, that burst, dragon's tail, and eagle claw are underwhelming).

If you aren't using Ki Push, then I can see the issue.

I don't know if you are soloing or not, but Ki Push [slotted up with x2 Accuracy, increased knockback, increased recharge, Blistering Cold: Chance for Hold, ...] will keep any one non-EB/AV busy if you Ki Push-use another power - ki-push - use another power (repeat) and send them flying into a wall or into a corner. This goes for bosses. 

This will give you the ability to fight close in when you want to use your martial arts attacks or just keep a single target busy so that the others in your team don't need to deal with them. 

They can't attack while they are flying through the air and the chance for hold increases your ability to stop them from attacking you.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

my Psi/Martial isn't that high of a level yet, but he's fun. Martial in general is fun for fun's sake. I wish it packed more of a punch, but I think Psi is strong enough for both of them (honestly, I don't need martial for anything other than flavour, but style wins over sensibility). I haven't unlocked throw sand yet, but if it's anything like Smoke Grenade from /Devices or Blinding Powder from /Ninja then I can definitely use it in my rotation. A blaster has no inherent def/res, so anything that has =to hit translates to def in my head. Smoke Grenade can be used to open as it doesn't alert the enemy of your presence, plus it obscures vision so that nearby enemies don't aggro while their buddy is being massacred. on the other hand, my DP/Ninja uses Blinding Powder in the middle of a fight (both chronologically and physically). 

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I am not able to view your build since I don't use Mids. Then again, I'll reiterate that style will always triumph over sense, so if your concept uses Throw Sand, go with it and embrace it. 😃

14 hours ago, Six-Six said:

my Psi/Martial isn't that high of a level yet, but he's fun. Martial in general is fun for fun's sake. I wish it packed more of a punch, but I think Psi is strong enough for both of them (honestly, I don't need martial for anything other than flavour, but style wins over sensibility). I haven't unlocked throw sand yet, but if it's anything like Smoke Grenade from /Devices or Blinding Powder from /Ninja then I can definitely use it in my rotation. A blaster has no inherent def/res, so anything that has =to hit translates to def in my head. Smoke Grenade can be used to open as it doesn't alert the enemy of your presence, plus it obscures vision so that nearby enemies don't aggro while their buddy is being massacred. on the other hand, my DP/Ninja uses Blinding Powder in the middle of a fight (both chronologically and physically). 

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I am not able to view your build since I don't use Mids. Then again, I'll reiterate that style will always triumph over sense, so if your concept uses Throw Sand, go with it and embrace it. 😃

Style may take priority over sense/effectiveness but that does not mean that your character will triumph 😋

Also Martial packs a huge punch, or kick...  I can come in under two minutes on a Pylon and "speed" Duo a +4/8 ITF w/o inspirations or temps or deaths in 45 mins or so with the same build   

Edited by FUBARczar

5 minutes ago, FUBARczar said:

Style may take priority over sense/effectiveness but that does not mean that your character will triumph 😋

Yes, you are correct.

Yet, while most characters walk, I stride. where most characters stay, I linger. Even in death and defeat, I don't just die, I perish. 😃

• Like 2

• 1 month later

Dunno if you’re still working on this, but I wound up making an Energy/Martial/Mace cuz oddly I like Martial on Blasters the best out of all the ATs that get it.

I went Martial and so play in melee with soft-cap S/L defenses, the Absorb shield, and the mez button for a big heal (if you autofire that it goes off whenever you get in trouble and meet the conditionals).

Main attack chain is like so:  Storm Kick, Eagle’s Claw, Ki Push, and Power Burst.  This utterly wrecks things that can’t resist knockdown.  They can’t get up to attack and your last combo floats them away before you blast the hell out of em.  I have and use Dragon’s Tail for even more knockdown, too.

Plays like a Saiyan or Ken/Ryu.

It’s not completely safe versus hard mobs, but that’s exactly what I like about it.  I’ve already got unkillable Tankers.

• Like 2