Storm Kick Animations

• 2 weeks later

Give storm kick its original animation!! (It was basically flurry but with feet....)

Original animation isn't possible anymore. They can give options for animations, but they all have to be the same duration. Original Storm Kick animation was *much* longer than the current one, so is not compatible anymore.

Give storm kick its original animation!! (It was basically flurry but with feet....)

Original animation isn't possible anymore. They can give options for animations, but they all have to be the same duration. Original Storm Kick animation was *much* longer than the current one, so is not compatible anymore.

Doesnt work "quite" like that, any animation can be lengthened or reduced according to needs by speeding up the animation file. I wasnt serious anway, was merely harking back to a much forgotten "oldie"

Doesnt work "quite" like that, any animation can be lengthened or reduced according to needs by speeding up the animation file. I wasnt serious anway, was merely harking back to a much forgotten "oldie"

Sure, but the difference in time between the new version and the old version would make the old animation look... well, very very silly. ;-)

Sure, but the difference in time between the new version and the old version would make the old animation look... well, very very silly. ;-)

I for one would like to see a speed up version of the old Storm Kick.

As a MA lifer I support this. I probably would stick with the existing Storm Kick, but I don't oppose sharing them across ATs.

Regarding the

, I would love to have something like that back but they would basically have to completely revisualize it to fit the timing. If they're going to do that, I'd rather they just work up alternates for various attacks across the board (and allow us to set them to be random).

In this case the difference is so large I'm not sure the engine will do the right thing if you tried to do something that extreme.

However, it would be possible to add the original animation as a power customization option in theory, because it is possible for the animation of a power to be longer than the cast time.  It is just that either the animation would interrupt in the middle when you tried to execute the next attack when the cast time expired which would look weird, or you'd set the entire animation to be rooted in which case you'd be stuck executing it even if the cast time of the power expired, which would make Storm Kick into a horrible attack. 

The problem I think is that the animation file may not exist in the system any more, because I don't think anything used it as of shutdown so it wouldn't be in the live files.  But you know where it would exist?  An old game CD.  If someone could find an original prepatched CoH, the client should have the animation file buried in the pigg files somewhere.  It might be possible to make it work with the current game.  I'm not 100% sure about that, and this would require dev work to make work.

But this could be tested in theory without messing too much with the game client.  I'm going from memory because it has been a long, long time since I messed with this, but if you find (and extract) the .anim file and rename it to be the correct name of an actual animation that exists in the game, and then you make an appropriate local subdirectory structure that would convince the game client to load it on start up, assuming that virtual file system fetch wasn't tampered with by the current homecoming devs the game should use that old animation file instead of whatever is currently compiled into the game, where ever that animation is used.  You could maybe replace an emote with that animation, and running that emote would run the Storm Kick animation instead of the correct one.

It might be a little more complicated than that because you have to deal with sequencers and such, but I did this once while messing around with the game client back when the game was still live.  However, I didn't publish those results because tampering with the game at this level opened up a lot of interesting exploitability options.

If the original storm kick animation is still present in the game, then I don't see why it couldn't be made into an alternate option for Flurry in power customization.

Yes! MA's storm kick is much better!  +1 

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.