Seismic and Hover?

Lyrium

Most powers that want you on the ground can often be activated as long as you're touching the ground even if you're technically flying.  I don't know if that's the case with Seismic powers; I think the shockwaves KD aura needs to be grounded to function but attacks I think work as long as you're close enough.  If you intended to actually fly around it could be problematic.

Since I can't get a straight answer, I suggest installing the beta client and using the beta cheats to auto-level to 50 and check if Seismic powers play nice with Hover/Fly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Earthquakes in the sky. who'dathunk. 😃

As Zork said, some powers need you to be on the ground, but will work if you're very close to it. However, being able to and being effective are two different things. you may be sacrificing the effectivity/efficiency of one power by taking another, but if you're cool with it who are we to argue.

Bottom line is, it's up to you how you want to "twist" the power. It's your power and no matter what the rules say, we tend to make our own. An example I'll give is Caltrops. As a blapper, I don't usually take flight powers. But on one toon concept, I decided the jetpack wasn't just there for show. Now Caltrops from Devices has a short range and requires a surface to deploy. Flying around meant I needed to swoop in, drop spikes and swoop back out. Not the most fluid operation. Then I created a keybind to release Caltrops on my location. So now, I am able to cast Caltrops in midair (without a surface). I can hover a few feet from foes' reach and shower them with spikey things. 😃 Give it a go, fiddle with it and bend it to your will. Go unleash earthquakes in the sky.  

• Thanks 1

I am not at home on my Rock Blaster but I do know that there is a power (orange ring) thing that allows my Rock Shards and Stabby awesome stun power to be more effective that goes away whenever I like jump or are off the ground; Seismic Force maybe.  Orange reticle around power button.  I like the concept of being forced to remain close to the earth to get the bonus.

• Thanks 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

28 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

I am not at home on my Rock Blaster but I do know that there is a power (orange ring) thing that allows my Rock Shards and Stabby awesome stun power to be more effective that goes away whenever I like jump or are off the ground; Seismic Force maybe.  Orange reticle around power button.  I like the concept of being forced to remain close to the earth to get the bonus.

I had never noticed this (mostly I fight on the ground even if the character has flight) so just logged in to test it. The circles do not appear if you are flying and do disappear if you leap, but if you return to the ground they reappear too.

On 7/31/2022 at 11:25 AM, Erhnam said:

I see that Seismic relies on being on the ground. How bad would it be a hovering Seismic/* blaster?

Hovering with seismic would completely neuter an otherwise quite powerful set.  All the boosts and bonuses require you to be on the ground to use them.  

• Thanks 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Be one with the dirt!

• Thanks 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 2 weeks later

I was hovering around on my seismic/storm after some time realized i wasn't getting the "orange rings".  The ring makes all the difference in making rock shards worth taking.  My concept for the corr screams using hover, but I prefer the effectiveness of using it...... concept adjusted

I love the sweeping punch cone of rocks with orange circle bonus.  I don't like it when its coming from the bed of a dump truck on the interstate at my windshield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1