Share the weapon cosmetic across all pools of similar style

vicuna

Aside from Six's answer, this isn't entirely possible because dual blades is dual blades. Not "here are two hammers bonking you real hard."

The weapon sets need to maintain what their name says.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

4 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Aside from Six's answer, this isn't entirely possible because dual blades is dual blades. Not "here are two hammers bonking you real hard."

The weapon sets need to maintain what their name says.

There are quite a few Katana and Ninja Blade weapons that aren't Katanas.

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

46 minutes ago, Crasical said:

There are quite a few Katana and Ninja Blade weapons that aren't Katanas.

True, but they /are/ still all slashing weapons. Even the fire, ice, and energy ones look like they are slashing weapons.

There are a few options for Assault Rifle (The retro scifi rifles) that don't have any sort of barrel or visible aperture for bullets. Dual Blades has a few axes as weapon options. Titan Weapons has nearly half its options being large, bladed weapons despite the set doing smashing damage.

So if it's not weapon shape or damage type, what is the deciding factor for if a particular weapon is suitable? Generally, the strict definitions on what can be a weapon skin for a given set seem to be loosening, and if we're judging just off vibes, I don't see why we can't have a dual-blades character using twin tonfas or telescopic batons.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's my guess at least.

Dual Blades is bladed weapons. Axes are sharp weapons. Blades are, generally, sharp cutting weapons. Maybe some exceptions exist. Dual Blades would need to be renamed, because tonfas/batons are blunt.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

31 minutes ago, Crasical said:

There are a few options for Assault Rifle (The retro scifi rifles) that don't have any sort of barrel or visible aperture for bullets. Dual Blades has a few axes as weapon options. Titan Weapons has nearly half its options being large, bladed weapons despite the set doing smashing damage.

So if it's not weapon shape or damage type, what is the deciding factor for if a particular weapon is suitable? Generally, the strict definitions on what can be a weapon skin for a given set seem to be loosening, and if we're judging just off vibes, I don't see why we can't have a dual-blades character using twin tonfas or telescopic batons.

My guess would be that if a weapon looks appropriate for the effect or if it is used in that style, it is a valid model.

Retro sci-fi guns for instance were still fired as regular rifles in the shows that had them. Sometimes with a poorly drawn beam and other times like a regular rifle for effects. So they still work because of how they are used.

As for Titan Weapons, even greatswords weren't sharp weapons. They had an edge, yes, but their focus was big weapon crumples armor and bone. If you use a greatsword and you're trying to keep its edge sharp enough to slice up your enemy, you're potentially handicapping the weapon. The weight of the weapon and the momentum of the swing does the bulk of the damage, not the blade edge. Also, the way a greatsword is wielded with the large curving arcs to overpower the target is at least similar to wielding a large club. So big weapon swung in wide arcs to obliterate foe would seem to be the theme of the available weapon models.

9 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Dual Blades would need to be renamed, because tonfas/batons are blunt.

Tonfas, batons, and fighting sticks can be used mechanically in the same way as dual blades. Tonfas are more versatile weapons than the set allows for, and those that learn to fight with tonfa don't fight anywhere even close to how Dual Blades functions, but then again, neither do those that fight with dual blades. With combat philosophy thrown out the window for the flashy style of Dual Blades, tonfa and batons do fit. The only concern there is they would bash their targets instead of slice. However, like fire swords, ice swords, and the other not-actually-a-sword options don't fit for inflicting a different form of harm, the deciding factor here as far as I can tell is that they would be used in the same way as a daito or arming sword.

So sure, expand the available weapon models. Keeping in mind the theme/intent of the power set. So not all weapon models would be appropriate for all weapon power sets even with the differentiation of ranged versus melee.

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

As for Titan Weapons, even greatswords weren't sharp weapons. 

The titan weapon greatsword is literally called 'Razor Sword'.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/File:TW_Razor_Sword.jpg

There's also Excalibur, and several forms of energy sword, all of which do lethal damage when another set uses it. 

It's not the literal definition of the weapon in the powerset name, it's not the damage type, and it's not based on any historical factors as to the use of weapons. Hence my summation that it's purely based on vibes. Rename Dual Blades to Dual Weapons if it makes adding some blunt options more palatable, why not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, and it looks like a giant-sized razor blade on a handle. Doesn't mean its sharp. I have razor blades I use for cleaning my 3D printer. And even though they have an obvious edge, they are all decidedly blunt to not hurt the screen. And they were designed that way.

Look, I'm not going to argue what is and is not sharp in the game. Titan Weapons: massive weapon swung in arc. Pulverizes target. Swords: slashing attack weapon. Dual Blades: insanely flashy use of two light weapons reminiscent of Dual Pistols, but for melee. Odd weapons: fire blades, ice blades, magma blades, shaped energy blades, stop signs, etc. Placed in set because is wielded in same manner in that set and looks cool. Weird weapons: Tonfa/batons. Requires even more suspension of disbelief than the odd weapons but are still used the same way and at least fit the idea of fighting with two light weapons.

I'm fine with adding some of the weapon models from other melee weapon sets to melee weapon sets, though very few look to be suitable for transitioning. I'm fine with adding some of the weapon models from other ranged weapon sets to ranged weapon sets. Just not things like a pistols for two-handed ranged weapons or two-handed ranged weapons for pistols. (Though I could be sold on the two-handed ranged weapons for dual pistols if the set wasn't so circus performer acrobat flashy.)

9 hours ago, Crasical said:

The titan weapon greatsword is literally called 'Razor Sword'.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/File:TW_Razor_Sword.jpg

There's also Excalibur, and several forms of energy sword, all of which do lethal damage when another set uses it. 

It's not the literal definition of the weapon in the powerset name, it's not the damage type, and it's not based on any historical factors as to the use of weapons. Hence my summation that it's purely based on vibes. Rename Dual Blades to Dual Weapons if it makes adding some blunt options more palatable, why not. 

First of all, razor blades are sharp and are indeed designed to cut things. That titan greatsword would sure as hell cut things.

Fighting sticks in Filipino martial arts are a proxy for swords. Styles vary somewhat, but double stick motions are exactly the same as sword movements. If you are training properly, you employ the weapon with proper edge alignment, even though the stick doesn't have an edge per se. Furthermore, if you're striking properly the tip of the stick will cut. A typical training method involves cutting through the layers of a banana tree.

I agree that the ingame logic is purely based on vibes.