Name flag causing bug?

Jawbreaker

I had 2 names that I was going to use for the new Symphony control sets. I deleted the character to re-roll him and got the red X "name taken" warning. Tried it with the second character and got the same thing. Is this working as intended or is this a known bug? Or did the million-to-one shot happen and 2 other players rolled up characters with the exact same names I deleted at the exact time I deleted them?

Edit: I just went into the game with another character to try and /friend the two characters I deleted and got the " does not exist, is hidden, or is not online at the moment." message for both

Edited by Jawbreaker

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

I just had to do the same with Chujak, my vermillion phoenix on Everlasting. I deleted the placeholder and wasn't allowed to use the name when I tried to remake her Symphony version. I gave it about ten minutes, tried again, and the name still came up as unavailable.

Curiously, when I checked with @Laughingcrow (my secondary account-), the name was available immediately after I had deleted the original on @Coyotedancer both in the character creator and as a potential rename for an existing character. 

I solved the issue by creating the character, giving her a different name, and then immediately renaming her to Chujak. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• City Council

It's not directly related to the name flag, but appears to be a bug caused by some additions to the name caching system. For now, a workaround is to create a character with a different name, then rename it to the name of the deleted character.

I've also seen some reports that ignoring the name checker and just creating the character anyway may work, but haven't tested that.

• 2 weeks later