New Wiki? Update Paragonwiki?

Castrum

Hey, I just thought I would ask if there are any initiatives to either update the tons of outdated info on Paragonwiki, or to create a whole new wiki just for Homecoming/SCORE/etc.? Sucks not being able to look up something like the Sentinel class or get game info that isn’t an eternity old.

It’s a conversation that’s been had, but maybe new ideas or new thoughts are needed.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,2738.0.html

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Paragonwiki should only cover original COH material (including the i24 beta content). The rogue servers all diverge from it in some way and what's valid info for one RS may not be valid for another. We don't really need disputes over which RS should be covered by PW as the "main" server these days (and there would always be some disputes).

So my vote goes for a new Wiki.

Paragon Wiki has already put out a statement that it will stay with the game as it was when it went down.  PW can't possibly stay current with all the different groups.  They have, however, said they are open for anyone to copy PW and edit it to fit their particular server. 

• City Council

Paragon Wiki has already put out a statement that it will stay with the game as it was when it went down.  PW can't possibly stay current with all the different groups.  They have, however, said they are open for anyone to copy PW and edit it to fit their particular server.

Would you mind linking where they have said that it is okay to mirror/scrape the wiki for derivatives?

Thanks!

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Would you mind linking where they have said that it is okay to mirror/scrape the wiki for derivatives?

Thanks!

Right here, sir, straight from the horse's mouth.

It's a brave new post-I24 world out there.  It's full of public and private City of Heroes servers springing up to host game clients that can evolve to suit whatever tastes their particular communities might prefer.

Paragon Wiki has always been a record of the official content of the game client on the live servers.  But there was only one version of the game, and the content on any one server was the same as the content on every other server (though the language it was presented in might be different.)  Going forward, that's no longer going to be the case, and eventually there are probably going to be disagreements about which server is "official" or not.

So, after some internal discussion on how we want to handle Paragon Wiki going forward, we've come to essentially this conclusion:

The state of City of Heroes/Villains as it existed on December 1, 2012, will continue to be the version of the game documented by Paragon Wiki.

While this decision may be revisited at some point, this is Paragon Wiki's policy for the forseeable future.  The wiki will remain a snapshot of a particular reference point in time.

Now, we understand that there is a significant amount of interest in documenting changes made on the new servers, and there are definitely ways to do that.  And Paragon Wiki can still help with that.

1)  The content of Paragon Wiki is licensed under open GNU.  Anyone can make a copy of Paragon Wiki and start their own wiki for their own server.  Wikis made this way can diverge from that point going forward to their heart's content.

2)  A server community may want to create a new wiki, but not copy all of Paragon Wiki, referencing Paragon Wiki for most content and only creating pages specific to their server where it's different.  This can easily be done by setting up an inter-wiki link on the new wiki and transcluding or linking to the content from Paragon Wiki.

3)  Or you can start your own wiki from scratch and go nuts with it.  That's cool, too.

I'm out.

2)  A server community may want to create a new wiki, but not copy all of Paragon Wiki, referencing Paragon Wiki for most content and only creating pages specific to their server where it's different.  This can easily be done by setting up an inter-wiki link on the new wiki and transcluding or linking to the content from Paragon Wiki.

I like this option

Thanks!

PK beat me to it, and saved me from having to dig up the link.  But yes, they have given permission for the new servers to build on their years of wonderful work to make their own wikis, which I think is very generous of them.

I like this option

I do, too.  As was discussed in the previous thread, the majority of PW is just as useful today as it was when the live game ended.  A Homecoming Wiki could be created that linked back to all the still-good pages on PW, while linking to its own pages for things that were updated.