A Homecoming Wiki?

Remidi

We all love Paragon Wiki, but obviously there are a lot of things on there that are out of date, or no longer apply to the Homecoming version of the game.  They have already said that they will not be making any changes, because every server group is doing its own thing, which makes sense.  They have also said that they are open source, so anyone who wants to can copy it and make their own edits.  Is anyone doing that for Homecoming?  Because right now, every time I look something up on PW, there is a 'maybe' in the back of my mind.

• City Council

We're considering some options on this front. For the time being, I'd point out that there aren't a tremendous number of changes between what's documented on Paragon Wiki and what we have here. Preexisting content, as far as I know, is mostly untouched.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Even if the game didn't change massively, there is still a big concern about certain things changing or stuff added that many people do not know about, or ask about frequently in places like help channel. There's an entire AT (Sentinel) with little documentation aside from the i25 patch notes and one cannot rely on an outdated wiki like Paragon wiki because it won't tell you if some information isn't relevant to the version Homecoming is running.

It may not be the most critical thing but ultimately Homecoming should have its own wiki. Copy the original Paragon Wiki and then just sweep through all the articles so they're up to date and truthful to what currently happens in Homecoming. Then we can use that as a source and keep ParagonWiki as an archive of what once was.

there aren't a tremendous number of changes

I tend to disagree. The new blaster secondaries and the specifics for the new Sentinel AT alone are worthy of documenting. Plus P2W contacts, the new costume parts, etc.

• City Council

there aren't a tremendous number of changes

I tend to disagree. The new blaster secondaries and the specifics for the new Sentinel AT alone are worthy of documenting. Plus P2W contacts, the new costume parts, etc.

These are not what I was discussing. The OP said that they felt like they couldn't trust that PW was correct on pre-existing content. 90-95% of the time, it still is. We're aware that the i25 additions are poorly documented, and we want to fix this, but we're doing 10 other things at any given time.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

It may not be the most critical thing but ultimately Homecoming should have its own wiki. Copy the original Paragon Wiki and then just sweep through all the articles so they're up to date and truthful to what currently happens in Homecoming.

I love how you worded that. Sounds like it could be done in an afternoon.

The problem with that, Knight, is that it's on "Fandom."  While it certainly appreciable that you've taken the initiative on this, and I don't want to disparage you for your hard work, but that's a huge "no-no" on the hosting service you're using.

Yeah, Fandom is terrible.  It's only slightly usable if you use a couple of track-blocking extensions, but even then...

These are not what I was discussing. The OP said that they felt like they couldn't trust that PW was correct on pre-existing content. 90-95% of the time, it still is. We're aware that the i25 additions are poorly documented, and we want to fix this, but we're doing 10 other things at any given time.

I respectfully disagree.  To give an example, 90-95% of PW's information about bases does not apply to Homecoming.  Having been my group's base builder in the old days, I was delighted, but a newbie seeking information on PW will be terribly confused.  For you, that might fall into the 5-10% you are talking about, but that's a whole segment of the game.  Btw, love the salvage bin increase.  Any chance of upping the storage limit past 18 items?  *puppy eyes*

I'm not demanding that a wiki be created right this second.  And you are right that much of PW is just as useful as before.  But that's the point.  I won't know what is still true and what is not until I stumble across the change, like when we created our base.  In fact, I might still be wondering why we weren't earning any prestige if it weren't for the fact that I accidentally placed an object in the entrance room while looking through the menu.  A homegrown wiki would eliminate those "wait, what???" moments.

To be clear, PW is not likely to ever include any HC content either. It keeps them cleanly separated from us (and for good reason), but that also means that when we Do get a wiki going it should either be a from scratch (a bit over zealous) or a "link + new content" type. The latter is a bit messier, but quicker (maybe/maybe not after vetting). In the meantime, if we can manage to encourage more use of the Search function (possibly guilty) and keep the forums cleaned up, then we might be ok for now with thread based content (or that 80+pg bind guide I just found! :O).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

To be clear, PW is not likely to ever include any HC content either. It keeps them cleanly separated from us (and for good reason), but that also means that when we Do get a wiki going it should either be a from scratch (a bit over zealous) or a "link + new content" type. The latter is a bit messier, but quicker (maybe/maybe not after vetting). In the meantime, if we can manage to encourage more use of the Search function (possibly guilty) and keep the forums cleaned up, then we might be ok for now with thread based content (or that 80+pg bind guide I just found! :O).

The search box on the forum is completely broken as far as I can tell.  It never finds anything for me.

Okay, here's what I'm starting to think... We need a "Player Site" separate from all of the other official groups' sites, where we can find:

• Personal space (your own CoH related web space maybe?)
  • Mods
  • Planners
  • Dev Tracker without ads
  • Onsite live chat
  • Post-Live Wiki for ALL of the various servers
  • File repository
  • CoH Resurgence news feed
  • Other misc CoH stuff I can't think of

Basically, I think we need *a* place that links to all of the other places, binds everything together, and allows players to also add their own content.

Now, I was hoping that place could be the Titan Network, but they've made it clear that they want their site to be a repository of the game "as it was", rather than as it is now and as it could be in the future.

What say you all, if we built a place that had all that stuff, would you make use of it? Or would it just be yet another site?

I'm out.

Onsite live chat is covered by the various and numerous Discord servers.  I've been using City of Forums as a file repository, with the various Pine's builds and the new Vidiot maps.

Dev Tracker could be a bit problematic because it's not just Homecoming.  You have Rebirth, /coxg, Reddit, and whatever else is out there.  To keep track of all of that and in an orderly fashion would be difficult.  Not impossible, but difficult.  Especially as they all use different formats to release information.  Reddit, Discord, forums, etc.

Ouro and Scots have server based mods covered, if that's what you mean by "mods."

Planners, well, again, City of Forums has a build workshop where people can post builds and get help.  Right now, Pine's works, but .NET 3.x is a bit outdated and with .NET 5.0 out soon, it could probably stand a rewrite, especially with the source code lost.  Should a new downloadable builder or planner come out, I'd be happy to host it on City of Forums, as again I've been using it as a players' file repository.