Time Bomb to work like Oil Slick Arrow

kelika2

If it is going to be player triggered, then why should the triggering damage be limited? Any damage type in the game would be able to penetrate the casing and detonate the explosives somehow. Some just have really specific circumstances/types for it to not seem overly weird.

My "wish list" for Time Bomb would be to make it taunt in an AoE. If mobs kill it early it should detonate for (half?) damage and if they don't the bomb still did its job because you probably killed them all during the taunt.

Either way, it should probably be balanced around the idea that most high-level spawns will be able to set it off in 2-3 seconds barring other factors (probably faster if you're fighting Malta).

Here's an odd thought @PoptartsNinja 's comment gave me. What if Time Bomb worked as it currently does, but also included the Proximity Bomb's delayed triggered detonation when triggering characters move near? So you place your Time Bomb, and it stays there until its timer runs down or enemies move near, at which point it explodes.

Edit: Or using Time Bomb triggers a popup power called Trigger on the player that (s)he/it can use to detonate the bomb early. (Yes, it is a valid pronoun. Not all characters made are biological.)

Edited by Rudra

On 10/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, PoptartsNinja said:

My "wish list" for Time Bomb would be to make it taunt in an AoE. If mobs kill it early it should detonate for (half?) damage and if they don't the bomb still did its job because you probably killed them all during the taunt.

Either way, it should probably be balanced around the idea that most high-level spawns will be able to set it off in 2-3 seconds barring other factors (probably faster if you're fighting Malta).

This is the best Time Bomb idea I've seen that doesn't require an entire rework of the power. That said a full "taunt bot" animation would be cool but require a lot of work. I can imagine a stationary decoy robot that initially taunts in an AOE before going into the delayed Self Destruct animation. Enemies panic/feared before it explodes.

Currently Time Bomb and Trip Mine are too similar in overall function, the slight difference in application (time) between the two make one completely useless especially in a game where combat is already so fast.

This Taunt idea would give it a unique function that the rest of Traps or Devices does not have.

Time Bomb has so much overlap w/ Trip Mine and that makes it rather useless, its core function is just damage/knockback that of which Trip Mine already offers. A totally new power would be the best choice, either a buff or debuff that offers Traps/Devices something it does not already have. However that requires much more work/assets/resources.

There are other servers that have just replaced Time Bomb in Traps w/ Gun Drone which is better but its kind of a band aid fix.

Even in this AoE Taunt change I think it should do something other than damage when exploding. 

Edited by Disruptor
  • Thumbs Up 1

It'd be great if they could do that, or do something like how some seismic attacks change when you have seismic pressure - when you place the time bomb, the power is replaced by a "remote detonation" power, which lets you set it off whenever you want...

• Thumbs Up 1

The Mastermind version of Traps gets Detonator, which works differently depending on whether your henchman are human. While there are certainly issues with this power as well, the non-human version does allow for instant detonation (sacrificing the henchman in the process). Assuming the damage and recharge can be appropriately adjusted, I think something like this could work for other versions of Traps. Instead of attaching the explosive to a henchman, you attach the explosive to a foe. You then have xx seconds to detonate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

7 hours ago, Uun said:

The Mastermind version of Traps gets Detonator, which works differently depending on whether your henchman are human. While there are certainly issues with this power as well, the non-human version does allow for instant detonation (sacrificing the henchman in the process). Assuming the damage and recharge can be appropriately adjusted, I think something like this could work for other versions of Traps. Instead of attaching the explosive to a henchman, you attach the explosive to a foe. You then have xx seconds to detonate.

I actually think Detonator is much better than Time Bomb. Swapping Time Bomb out for Detonator for Controllers, Def and Corrs and allowing Detonator to work on FFG and/or Acid Mortar would actually be a huge improvement. In fact it would be really cool if you got a unique effect based on which Trap you chose to detonate. Example, you detonate FFG and it explodes dealing aoe dmg and -recovery cause like the exploding FFG causes a small electric sap pulse thingy. While detonating Acid Mortar would of course deal aoe dmg but instead of -recovery it could briefly either fear/terrorize or -tohit cause guys got acid and shrapnel in their eyes.

I also think Detonator in general should work on FFG and Acid Mortar for MM.

Edited by Disruptor

7 hours ago, Uun said:

I'm suddenly reminded of Red Faction, where you could throw a sticky remote charge onto an enemy, then they'd panic and run around screaming....making it trickier to time the detonation to hit a crowd.

• Thumbs Up 1