Additional Damage System

KingCeddd03

The idea, I think would be great to have besides making new powersets it would be better to add more damage types instead of making a brand-new powerset containing the desired damage types and adding new FX and such. it would function sort of like the incarnate System

For example, Seismic Blast only has smashing damage a one note damage but with the use of the system you can add fire, then it would become Fire/Smashing damage making it a brand-new power without making a new powerset, now making it magma blast just add the magma visual and done.

Also, can be done with the melee as well 

This would be easy to do.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

IO procs (as @Luminara posted) and the incarnate system already allow for this. I wouldn't mind seeing an expansion of those options with other damage types, mind, but given the relatively recent overhaul in the way damage types are determined for attack powers and how defense interacts with them, this would undermine a lot of that prior dev work. Plus having this be a baked-in feature would remove the niche of the incarnate choices and procs letting players build on their specific concept themselves, and replace it with having the game force them into increasingly narrow boxes by default.

Even if a 'Magma Blast' set were made with smashing/fire and locked solely onto the magma theme from Seismic Blast, it'd still only target against smashing defense. It wouldn't mechanically change aside from maybe a handful of fire damage DoT ticks (which can already be gained for Seismic Blast from proper slotting/incarnate choice). It'd end up as a copy of something players already can do only much more thematically limited, and getting overly specific with powerset design isn't something the devs seem like they're interested in. That's why Seismic Blast has the different choices under its broad thematic umbrella in the first place, and why all the weapon sets are being expanded with any fitting options instead of making a 'Meat Cleaver' set or a 'Beam Sword' set that's the exact same powers just locked to one weapon model.

Edited by El D

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

18 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

those are enhancement procs, not the power itself if you're going to respond pls stay on topic

If you don't know how the game works, much less what's in the game, please educate yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

1 hour ago, KingCeddd03 said:

The idea, I think would be great to have besides making new powersets it would be better to add more damage types instead of making a brand-new powerset containing the desired damage types and adding new FX and such. it would function sort of like the incarnate System

For example, Seismic Blast only has smashing damage a one note damage but with the use of the system you can add fire, then it would become Fire/Smashing damage making it a brand-new power without making a new powerset, now making it magma blast just add the magma visual and done.

How would you balance it?  Just adding a chunk of extra damage probably isn't going to fly with the devs, unless there's a significant penalty in some other way. Simply splitting the damage between the two types probably wouldn't work either, as some damage types are much more heavily resisted than others.  Everyone could just add a less commonly resisted damage type like fire to all their powers to turn part of the damage into fire, instant damage buff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

6 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

How would you balance it?  Just adding a chunk of extra damage probably isn't going to fly with the devs, unless there's a significant penalty in some other way. Simply splitting the damage between the two types probably wouldn't work either, as some damage types are much more heavily resisted than others.  Everyone could just add a less commonly resisted damage type like fire to all their powers to turn part of the damage into fire, instant damage buff.

I have no idea it's just an idea

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Probably better to stop posting ideas if you can't thoroughly explain it or elaborate on it. You're basically blindfolding yourself and throwing darts.

Also, the game isn't really set up to allow player choice like that and I'd find it to be a terrible idea.

• Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

15 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Also, the game isn't really set up to allow player choice like that and I'd find it to be a terrible idea.

Without endorsing or condemning the proposal of the OP, there IS precedent for changing options via the UI on the fly, in sets like Bio, Staff, and Dual Pistols, but good lord, imagine scaling that to even one Primary or Secondary set, let alone the whole lot of them.

• Thanks 1

Those of you who continue to profess a belief in the Users will receive the standard, substandard training which will result in your eventual elimination.
That will be all.

28 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Probably better to stop posting ideas if you can't thoroughly explain it or elaborate on it. You're basically blindfolding yourself and throwing darts.

Hey i can post my ideas and not tell you anything if i like or i will leave it up to you to make up the meat of the idea you're more than capable 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Perhaps this thread might help you, Cedd.

1 hour ago, roleki said:

there IS precedent for changing options via the UI on the fly, in sets like Bio, Staff, and Dual Pistols,

Those are fit to the sets, but yeah scaling it to every set is a disaster waiting to happen

• Like 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

@KingCeddd03, I highly recommend you put in the effort to flesh out your ideas before posting them on the forums. You can bounce your ideas off your friends for further development, either online or personally. Otherwise, there isn't enough information for anyone to have a discussion on and make an informed decision. A little effort researching and developing your ideas before asking the devs to consider it goes a long way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, roleki said:

Without endorsing or condemning the proposal of the OP, there IS precedent for changing options via the UI on the fly, in sets like Bio, Staff, and Dual Pistols, but good lord, imagine scaling that to even one Primary or Secondary set, let alone the whole lot of them.

My understanding of those sets, though, is that there are conditional damage values baked into all the associated powers, like "deals X toxic damage if chem ammo toggle is running".  It's not feasible to do something like that for all powers and damage types...