League Management

Clave Dark 5

So I got stuck with running the ToT league for bit tonight and that wasn't so bad, it was mostly intuitive, which was nice, but once when the leader of a team within the league left and the guy who got the star wasn't 50, I couldn't figure out how to make someone on another team the leader.

Any other good tricks I should know if I ever manage another league?

(hint to leechers: running a league is a great way to deflect the fact that you're leeching, plus you can invite your dual box toons!  But yeah, you do still have to keep active with invites and shuffling the teams, or everyone can see you're just leeching and will drop pretty quick)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

If you're leading a team within a league, you should know which of your teammates can be promoted to replace you should you need to leave.  If you don't have anyone else to replace you, that's when you ping the league leader and ask for them to put someone on your team that can take over for you, preferably before they're needed (so folks like the OP have the time to figure it out). 

As the league leader, you just need to talk to your team leaders, make sure they're happy.  You don't have to run the whole thing.

As for moochers... usually they're the ones not clicking doors, attacking mobs, or moving around.  But they can be useful - a Nature Affinity spamming an AoE heal aura makes for a safe spot to run to, should you need to take a bio break!  🙂  

The League interface is a bit... broken.  So it's kind of hard to move people around, not exactly intuitive.  That's why letting your team leaders do most (if not all) of the heavy lifting is good for the league, the team interface is easier to manage!  

Edited by MistressOhm
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

I agree with Mistress, Leading a league is not hard just tedious. I only learned from this event from someone passing me leader randomly. I generally just try to keep a extra 50 on each team and remind TLs periodically that they should pass lead prior to leaving league. Of course not everyone does, it is pretty easy to fix level problems as League leader if the teams aren't sitting at a close to full 6 teams. Just move the leader of the under leveled team to another team until that team has a 50 leader then move them back into it after. Keep track of the amount of people on teams since turnover of players will be high so you should be ready to consolidate teams when need be. Also Spread out the MMs since their pets contribute significantly to the XP of the team they are on. 

Those are just things I do and I know not every League leader handles it like me so as long as levels are fine people are usually happy.

Edited by jayplex
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yah when i first started doing this ToT league thing I was... low 40's?  and suddenly ended up leader, that was about the same time that I got whomped on by an EB, and faceplanted.  Seems the team lead dropped without saying anything (as in logged out) and the entire team exemplared to one level below me.   Whups!  Sorry.   So we had to do a bit of rearranging to get someone at L50 back in the top spot.  

And then there was the time I got exemplared... into the 20's... doing the same thing.   OUCH.

Since then I've been very conscious about who has the star on the team I'm assigned to, and if it's me (that character is now 50 with some Incarnate powers, yay) I'm looking for other names that can step in when (not if) I need to bail out.  

Edited by MistressOhm
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

3 hours ago, jayplex said:

Also Spread out the MMs since their pets contribute significantly to the XP of the team they are on.

That's a very good point, thanks for that.

I don't mind being team leader and now even league leader, I guess, but I so often find myself in one or the other without even being asked!  I guess that's still better than suddenly being 29th level standing next to a GM.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

If you get into a situation where you have a team w/o a 50. Here is what I do.

You basically take a 50 from another team and put them into their own team, if you don't have a full league. Then move all the players from the team w/o a 50 to the new team. In general I try and shift players around, so that every team has two 50s.

If you have 6 teams, but all teams are not full, then shuffle players around to form a new team with a 50 lead.

Yes, it would be nice if the league leader could assign a new team leader, but the ability does exist right now. Only team leaders can do it.

Also, an afk indicator would be nice. I saw someone afk inside the PI hospital tucked into the corner closest to the motel, which was very suspicious.

• Thumbs Up 5

19 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

So I got stuck with running the ToT league for bit tonight and that wasn't so bad, it was mostly intuitive, which was nice, but once when the leader of a team within the league left and the guy who got the star wasn't 50, I couldn't figure out how to make someone on another team the leader.

Because you can't.  Every team leader can pass the team star to someone on their team and the league leader can pass the league star.  You can't promote a person to team leader unless they're on your team.

So you have to communicate to someone on the team to promote someone.  You need to identify who should get promoted (and move them to that team, if necessary).  Then you probably need to send tells and often GO TO ALL CAPS to get their attention.  Frequently, they are oblivious and you need to follow KaizenSoze's advice - which doesn't work if the league is full.

13 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

If you get into a situation where you have a team w/o a 50. Here is what I do.

You basically take a 50 from another team and put them into their own team, if you don't have a full league. Then move all the players from the team w/o a 50 to the new team.

Exactly what I had to do.  Luckily I wasn't running the ToT league in prime-time so it fluctuated between four and five teams so I always had slots open to shuffle people around.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Type, "send tell for reinvite," and kick the whole team. Move a couple 50s to the empty team. Reinvite as the /tells come in. Otherwise it's tough shuffling a league. The more full it is makes it harder to rearrange. Toss lag on top, finding 50's to move around, it's just a lot of hassle.

Does the order of a team matter? I wonder if it's possible for devs to set it up so it auto-arranges by level, with exception to team lead. For a future patch update.

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 6:14 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

That's a very good point, thanks for that.

I don't mind being team leader and now even league leader, I guess, but I so often find myself in one or the other without even being asked!  I guess that's still better than suddenly being 29th level standing next to a GM.

The GM's are actually less of an issue, since they are technically "unscaled" (present as even level to everyone, then boosted due to being a monster).  Fighting off a spawn that popped out as level 53, when you're in your twenties? "Hold up, wait, let me lie down and get comfortable, less bruising. There. OK you may kill me now."

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

I did still see a few players go red during the GM fights.  I've had really badly slotted toons before myself.  🙂

Go have fun!