1000 cuts

Cold Hard Cash

I've skipped it on both my DB Tanker and Scrapper.  While it's a strong attack that also happens to be a melee cone it has such a long animation time that I'd rather just focus on using other attacks, mainly Typhoon and Sweeping.  I also skipped Power Slice on both builds so the Sweep combo isn't an option anyway if combos mattered enough.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

18 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I've skipped it on both my DB Tanker and Scrapper.  While it's a strong attack that also happens to be a melee cone it has such a long animation time that I'd rather just focus on using other attacks, mainly Typhoon and Sweeping.  I also skipped Power Slice on both builds so the Sweep combo isn't an option anyway if combos mattered enough.

Yea I dont use the combo DB system anymore. Skipped nimble but took PS just cause I had to take one. I now do BF, Sweep, then I use either Moonbeam or Cuts depending on the mob. Feel like my dps is way better not using the system. And after testing ablating vs Cuts my single target is still better with cuts. And with 153 recharge it blends in perfect with BF and sweep.

Edited by Cold Hard Cash

• 1 month later

I am more about style than substance.  i do use 1k cuts only because it looks so cool. My brute has died, because friends were watching me do my thing, instead of doing their jobs.  I do use the combo system since you don't have to hit with every attack to execute.  My favorite costume has a red and black katana that I could watch the streaks all day.

• Thumbs Up 1

1KC is bad damage for the animation time, but I love it on my Tanker with the increased target cap and range.

Scrapper... Harder to justify. It is pretty damn cool to look at.

I'd love for DB to get a tune up similar to Axe. Slimming down the lenghtier animation times. Vengeful Slice at ~1.67s rather than 2.4s, 1KC at 2.4s rather than 3.3s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I'd love for DB to get a tune up similar to Axe. Slimming down the lenghtier animation times. Vengeful Slice at ~1.67s rather than 2.4s, 1KC at 2.4s rather than 3.3s.

Seems difficult to justify?  DB is a pretty good set already, albeit with a lot of skippable powers, not sure it needs to be better.

• Like 1

If DB is good when you skip powers, improving the skipped powers shouldn't affect the performance all too much! 😉

IMHO the design is schizophrenic as is. It's a fast recharge powerset with relatively slow animations. It has a combo system you're incentivised to skip to run BF -> AS -> SS -> AS.

To be honest, I don't know if DB holds up all that well in this day and age. You can push out decent numbers whacking on an immobile Pylon and its even resistances, where Blinding Feint can be capitalized and lethal damage is not a penalty. In real gameplay, results may vary.

The shining crown is of course SS being an excellent ST attack that happens to hit 5 guys at once. This is the saving grace of DB. Rest of the set is a bit sad.

No unique hurdles to be sure, but enough overall awkwardness I think there's definitely room for a balance pass.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, nihilii said:

If DB is good when you skip powers, improving the skipped powers shouldn't affect the performance all too much! 😉

IMHO the design is schizophrenic as is. It's a fast recharge powerset with relatively slow animations. It has a combo system you're incentivised to skip to run BF -> AS -> SS -> AS.

To be honest, I don't know if DB holds up all that well in this day and age. You can push out decent numbers whacking on an immobile Pylon and its even resistances, where Blinding Feint can be capitalized and lethal damage is not a penalty. In real gameplay, results may vary.

The shining crown is of course SS being an excellent ST attack that happens to hit 5 guys at once. This is the saving grace of DB. Rest of the set is a bit sad.

No unique hurdles to be sure, but enough overall awkwardness I think there's definitely room for a balance pass.

I certainly agree that DB is awkward with the skippable combo system etc.

I think you're underselling Blinding Feint, which maybe is somewhat awkward to use and certainly has constraints, but having a very easily achievable +25% damage and +6.6% to hit all the time is a thing.

I don't really think that the lethal damage penalty should be addressed by buffing individual lethal damage sets of the very large number of them in play.

But basically, DB right now has good ST damage (with very high recharge) and okay AoE damage because, as you said, of the really solid Sweeping Strike.  If you buff 1k Cuts (or the PBAoE) to be quite good you get a set that's good ST and good AoE.  If you make another ST attack quite good you dramatically open up the slotting choices of the powers by removing the requirement on extremely high recharge.  If you improve the combo system, I dunno.  My point is, there are actually a lot of vectors in which it would be easy to improve the overall power of DB without buffing BF, AS, or SS.

I use it as a 3x eradication mule. That's over 1.5 EN def per added slot, baby!

On 12/7/2022 at 11:35 PM, aethereal said:

If you improve the combo system, I dunno.

I personally think this should be the way to go. That is, the combo system should deliver decent dps without the use of IO's; but if you are able to muster high rech, then ignoring the combos and going with individual attacks should deliver better performance, as is currently the case. I'm sure there is some way to fiddle with the combos to increase their power without adding more DPA to BF>AS>SS>AS, or god forbid BF>AS>SS.

Because DB, as it stands, is already an extremely powerful set and like most lethal sets can fit 2 -res procs in its chain. It doesn't need a buff to its power ceiling, which would contribute to power creep; what is reasonable to ask for, however, is a lifting of the floor.

Edited by Zect
  • Like 1