Any Merc/Force Field builds with the new shinies?

JayboH

This combo sounds fun now with the new rebalanced Mercs and Force Field set.  Keep them at a distance with Repulsion, debuff resist with Repulsion and Force Bomb, make them tougher with resistance and defense in the two training abilities, etc.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

It was always fun, but with damping bubble now you kinda want to play in melee to debuff enemies with it, it applies - regen now which really helps vs tough target's. I run repulsion pretty much as i did force bub just took an end red out and replaced it with a sudden acc kb/kd and use it to shove stuff around before turning it off and running in to drop damping bub. Problem with this is you also want the mercs within it and they fare much better at ranged than they do in melee. Bit counter intuitive to run a ranged pet set into melee on purpose but bubbles+dispersion+serum and they just survive. Extra dps they do now is just icing on the cake. 

I'm leveling a merc/ff character right now. She's up to 23rd so far, and doing pretty well. My build with her on test was doing extremely well, running around killing groups of mobs on +2/8 without any trouble at all, though it was fairly slow simply because of the lack of high-damage aoe. I'd probably just run on like +1/6 or +0/8 or so to move along at a decent pace.

With the full build, my mercs will be at around 43% melee def, 55% ranged def, 65% aoe def, 65% smash/lethal resist, and 30-40% to other resists.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mine is sitting at L29 and has been one of the smoothest rides of MMs so far. Been trying to figure out how to incorporate Domino's powerset into the game for a bit and settled on this combo. Will say that it feels very strong, especially with the "Focus Fire"-effect from the attacks. Currently, I throw bubbles on them as needed, leave Dispersion & Repulsion up while in missions, and just go to town with the 3 attacks

Medic still seems to eat all of the aggro, but that's what happens when you wear different clothing and the enemies can pick you out of a crowd

Formerly Infinity, Currently Everlasting

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

On 11/5/2022 at 12:06 AM, WumpusRat said:

I'm leveling a merc/ff character right now. She's up to 23rd so far, and doing pretty well. My build with her on test was doing extremely well, running around killing groups of mobs on +2/8 without any trouble at all, though it was fairly slow simply because of the lack of high-damage aoe. I'd probably just run on like +1/6 or +0/8 or so to move along at a decent pace.

With the full build, my mercs will be at around 43% melee def, 55% ranged def, 65% aoe def, 65% smash/lethal resist, and 30-40% to other resists.

Can you post the build?

12 hours ago, JStacy337 said:

Mine is sitting at L29 and has been one of the smoothest rides of MMs so far. Been trying to figure out how to incorporate Domino's powerset into the game for a bit and settled on this combo. Will say that it feels very strong, especially with the "Focus Fire"-effect from the attacks. Currently, I throw bubbles on them as needed, leave Dispersion & Repulsion up while in missions, and just go to town with the 3 attacks

Medic still seems to eat all of the aggro, but that's what happens when you wear different clothing and the enemies can pick you out of a crowd

After trying out the various attacks for the focus fire buff, I ended up dumping them and just took the new force bolt power instead. -15% resist in one shot feels more impactful than +3% damage per attack, and only costs me one power rather than 2-3. Plus slotting it with a KB-to-KD, I can use it to juggle mobs and keep them on their ass.

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

After trying out the various attacks for the focus fire buff, I ended up dumping them and just took the new force bolt power instead. -15% resist in one shot feels more impactful than +3% damage per attack, and only costs me one power rather than 2-3. Plus slotting it with a KB-to-KD, I can use it to juggle mobs and keep them on their ass.

I will give that a look, thank you!

50s:  Necro/Kin MM, Ill/Storm 'Troller, Kin/EnA Stalker, NRG/EnA Sentinel, Grav/Elec Dom, Invuln/Staff Tanker, Mind/Dark 'Troller, Earth/Nature 'Troller, Merc/FF MM

19 hours ago, JayboH said:

Can you post the build?

Okay, here's the build. I'll just type it up since mids is outdated (I don't think it's got the latest patch that changes power levels and such), so I'll just note down what's what. The order of power picks doesn't really matter all that much, and it's easy enough to swap out the travel power and the stealth/infil powers if you want something different.

For the pets, I went with all 6 auras (2 per pet) and then 2 parts of each Sovereign Right and Blood Mandate, for the 2-part set bonuses. It's cheap, and does what I want (namely get their acc/dmg/end high enough -- they end up with 91% dmg, 69% acc/end (the soldiers have 90% end), which combined with tactics and supremacy makes their accuracy fine, and they don't blow through all their end too fast).

Power (slots):

Soldiers (6): Sov Right (res aura), Edict of the Master (def aura), Sov Acc/Dmg/End, Sov Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg

Spec Op (6): Mark of Sup (end/res aura), Cmd of Master (aoe def aura), Sov Acc/Dmg/End, Sov Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg

Commando (6): Exped Reinf (res aura), Call to Arms (def aura), Sov Acc/Dmg/End, Sov Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg

Equip Merc (3): Steadfast Prot (res/def unique), Glad Armor (tp prot/def unique), Resist

Serum (3): 3xRecharge

Tactical Upgrade (3): Kismet Def/End, Def/End/Rech and Def/Rech for the 3-part bonus (recovery and smash/lethal resist) -- it's a low-level set, but you lose less than 1% defense, so it's not a big deal imo.

Repulsion Bolt (4): Decimation Acc/End/Rech, Ruin Acc/End/Rech, Sudden Accel Kb-to-Kd, End Red (it's got a high end cost, so I wanted to get it down a lot plus some acc/rech)

Deflection Shield (4): Gift of the Ancients Def/End, Def/Rech, Def, Def/Runspd

Insulation Shield (4): Same as Def Shield

Dispersion Bubble (6): Full set Red Fortune

Repulsion Field (3): 3xEnd Red (such an insanely high end cost -- could have just gone with 2, but opted for 3 to save a little more end, and if you don't want to put lvl 50's in it)

Damping Bubble (4): 3xRech, Gift of the Ancients Def/Runspd

Health (3): Panacea unique, Numina unique, Miracle unique

Stamina (3): 3xPerformance Shifter End, End/Acc, End proc (you could just opt for the proc and 2 EndMod IOs if you prefer or other sets, but I like the +move and health set bonuses)

Medicine: Aid Other (4): Preventive Medicine Heal, Heal/End, Heal/Rech, Heal/Rech/End

Medicine: Aid Self (4): Same as Other

Medicine: Field Medic (1): Rech

Leaping: Combat Jumping (1): Luck of the Gambler Def/Global rech

Leaping: Super Jump (3): Full set Winter's Gift

Leaping: Acrobatics (1): EndRed

Leadership: Maneuvers (6): Full set Reactive Defenses

Leadership: Assault (1): EndRed

Leadership: Tactics (4): Gaussian's Fire-Control To-Hit, To-Hit/End, To-Hit/End/Rech, To-Hit/Rech

Concealment: Stealth (2): Shield Wall (TP prot/Resist unique), Luck of the Gambler (Def/Global Rech unique) 

Concealment: Infiltration (2): Blessing of the Zephyr Move Spd, Move Spd/End -- for the little bit of ranged defense boost

Mace Mastery: Scorpion Shield (6): Full set Red Fortune

Notes: You don't really need the global recharge for this build, but I wanted it purely to drop the rech of Serum and Damping Bubble a little bit. Could easily shift those slots elsewhere though. Also, why all the +runspeed? I like to run fast. 🙂 Concealment is completely optional, as is whatever movement power you want to take. I opted for Leaping with this build because I like the protection CJ + Acro gives me, though you could easily replace Acrobatics with a -KB/KD IO in another power.

My personal defenses end up with 30% ranged/melee/aoe def, 45% to smash/lethal/energy. I was a bit off on the aoe def the pets had -- I think I might have been thinking of a different /FF MM I had made. But it's still high enough to pass soft cap by a lot.

merc defense.jpg

merc resist.jpg

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Thanks 2

On 11/8/2022 at 6:03 AM, WumpusRat said:

Okay, here's the build. I'll just type it up since mids is outdated (I don't think it's got the latest patch that changes power levels and such), so I'll just note down what's what. The order of power picks doesn't really matter all that much, and it's easy enough to swap out the travel power and the stealth/infil powers if you want something different.

For the pets, I went with all 6 auras (2 per pet) and then 2 parts of each Sovereign Right and Blood Mandate, for the 2-part set bonuses. It's cheap, and does what I want (namely get their acc/dmg/end high enough -- they end up with 91% dmg, 69% acc/end (the soldiers have 90% end), which combined with tactics and supremacy makes their accuracy fine, and they don't blow through all their end too fast).

Power (slots):

Soldiers (6): Sov Right (res aura), Edict of the Master (def aura), Sov Acc/Dmg/End, Sov Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg

Spec Op (6): Mark of Sup (end/res aura), Cmd of Master (aoe def aura), Sov Acc/Dmg/End, Sov Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg

Commando (6): Exped Reinf (res aura), Call to Arms (def aura), Sov Acc/Dmg/End, Sov Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg/End, Blood Acc/Dmg

Equip Merc (3): Steadfast Prot (res/def unique), Glad Armor (tp prot/def unique), Resist

Tactical Upgrade (3): Kismet Def/End, Def/End/Rech and Def/Rech for the 3-part bonus (recovery and smash/lethal resist) -- it's a low-level set, but you lose less than 1% defense, so it's not a big deal imo.

Repulsion Bolt (4): Decimation Acc/End/Rech, Ruin Acc/End/Rech, Sudden Accel Kb-to-Kd, End Red (it's got a high end cost, so I wanted to get it down a lot plus some acc/rech)

Repulsion Field (3): 3xEnd Red (such an insanely high end cost -- could have just gone with 2, but opted for 3 to save a little more end, and if you don't want to put lvl 50's in it)

Stamina (3): 3xPerformance Shifter End, End/Acc, End proc (you could just opt for the proc and 2 EndMod IOs if you prefer or other sets, but I like the +move and health set bonuses)

Medicine: Aid Other (4): Preventive Medicine Heal, Heal/End, Heal/Rech, Heal/Rech/End

Leadership: Tactics (4): Gaussian's Fire-Control To-Hit, To-Hit/End, To-Hit/End/Rech, To-Hit/Rech

Concealment: Stealth (2): Shield Wall (TP prot/Resist unique), Luck of the Gambler (Def/Global Rech unique) 

Concealment: Infiltration (2): Blessing of the Zephyr Move Spd, Move Spd/End -- for the little bit of ranged defense boost

Notes: You don't really need the global recharge for this build, but I wanted it purely to drop the rech of Serum and Damping Bubble a little bit. Could easily shift those slots elsewhere though. Also, why all the +runspeed? I like to run fast. 🙂 Concealment is completely optional, as is whatever movement power you want to take. I opted for Leaping with this build because I like the protection CJ + Acro gives me, though you could easily replace Acrobatics with a -KB/KD IO in another power.

My personal defenses end up with 30% ranged/melee/aoe def, 45% to smash/lethal/energy. I was a bit off on the aoe def the pets had -- I think I might have been thinking of a different /FF MM I had made. But it's still high enough to pass soft cap by a lot.

merc defense.jpg

merc resist.jpg

Once I get him up there I will likely follow this.  Commando is the only one I notice REALLY needs a ton of end cost.  He has a bunch of 15 endurance cost abilities and some of the sets just aren't enough.  Would be cool to see you upload some footage of this build.  I'm at lev 34 at the moment.

3 hours ago, JayboH said:

Once I get him up there I will likely follow this.  Commando is the only one I notice REALLY needs a ton of end cost.  He has a bunch of 15 endurance cost abilities and some of the sets just aren't enough.  Would be cool to see you upload some footage of this build.  I'm at lev 34 at the moment.

She's sitting at 43 at the moment. I've kind of paused leveling her because of the animation bug with summoning and tactical upgrade. It's not a huge deal for the majority of the time, but when it DOES matter it's hugely impactful, and can cause a rapid cascade failure in your pets until you die.

I was talking to one of the devs about it, and he's looking into it, now that we know where the bug actually lies and what might be causing it (or at least, what 'corrects' it momentarily).

So fingers crossed that it can be corrected fairly easily.

Just hit 36 with mine last night (solo leveling) after doing the Freak-Lok and Black Scorpion Patron unlock chains. Have been following your build fairly closely and it's been amazing. Considering putting the Gaussian's "Chance for Build-Up" proc in Tactics to see if the random boost helps them any. For your slotting, do End Reducers slotted in affect just when you summon the minions, or when they use their abilities? Always been unclear of that bit

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JStacy337 said:

Just hit 36 with mine last night (solo leveling) after doing the Freak-Lok and Black Scorpion Patron unlock chains. Have been following your build fairly closely and it's been amazing. Considering putting the Gaussian's "Chance for Build-Up" proc in Tactics to see if the random boost helps them any. For your slotting, do End Reducers slotted in affect just when you summon the minions, or when they use their abilities? Always been unclear of that bit

Pretty sure (but happy to be wrong) that the Gaussian's proc applies to you and not the pets.  It's why some folks will put it in Thugs enforcers as a way to give them a little boost (not worth it IMHO).

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JStacy337 said:

The chance for build up will only affect you, not your pets, sadly. Otherwise it would be pretty nice. The random nature of it tends to make me avoid putting it into pets as well, since they won't save their big attacks for when it pops up. 

End reduction in pets affects how much endurance they spend on attacks, yeah. Just to double-check it (since someone in another thread doubted it worked), I took a completely unslotted build out to the RWZ and had the soldiers attack a target dummy. They burned through their end bar in about 50 seconds. Then I threw 3 end reductions in the power, and repeated the test. Their end never dropped below 95%, even after twice the amount of time constantly firing.

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, JStacy337 said:

The purple proc will give them build up, so try that instead.  Yes end reduction in pets makes them use less endurance.  Summoning endurance isn't an issue anymore thankfully.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

I think I am at 39.  I've been soloing radios for the most part on double xp instead of farming him up the fast way.

Council can be a bit of a pain and Circle is worse - they both have plenty of -def and in Circle's case they cast Quicksand which covers a pretty decent area that I have to micromanage around.  You can't really facetank when that happens.

I only have generic IOs in most stuff and only the pets have sets currently.  I'll respec when I get him to 50.

• 1 month later

Power (slots):

merc defense.jpg

merc resist.jpg

Fighting pool?

Power (slots):

merc defense.jpg

merc resist.jpg

Slightly modified, prob could be a bunch better.  This is with the absolute latest mids

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.7
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Technology Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Mercenaries
Secondary Power Set: Force Field
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Medicine
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Soldiers

• (A) Sovereign Right - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (3) Sovereign Right - Damage/Endurance
  • (3) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (5) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage
  • (5) Edict of the Master - Defense Bonus
  • (7) Sovereign Right - Resistance Bonus

Level 1: Repulsion Bolt

• (A) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (9) Ruin - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (11) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (11) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 2: Deflection Shield

• (A) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance
  • (17) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Recharge
  • (21) Gift of the Ancients - Defense
  • (21) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Increased Run Speed

Level 4: Insulation Shield

• (A) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Endurance
  • (29) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Recharge
  • (31) Gift of the Ancients - Defense
  • (31) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Increased Run Speed

Level 6: Equip Mercenary

• (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (7) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (9) Resist Damage IO

Level 8: Super Jump

• (A) Empty

Level 10: Combat Jumping

• (A) Karma - Knockback Protection

Level 12: Spec Ops

• (13) Sovereign Right - Damage/Endurance
  • (13) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (15) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
  • (17) Call to Arms - Defense Bonus Aura for Pets

Level 14: Maneuvers

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Defense
  • (42) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
  • (42) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (43) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime
  • (43) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (43) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 16: Assault

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 18: Serum

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (19) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (19) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 20: Dispersion Bubble

• (A) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (31) Red Fortune - Defense/Recharge
  • (33) Red Fortune - Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (34) Red Fortune - Endurance

Level 22: Commando

• (23) Sovereign Right - Damage/Endurance
  • (23) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (25) Blood Mandate - Accuracy/Damage
  • (25) Superior Mark of Supremacy - Endurance/Pet +Resist +Regen
  • (27) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

Level 24: Tactics

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff
  • (45) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance
  • (45) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (45) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge

Level 26: Tactical Upgrade

• (A) Kismet - Defense/Endurance
  • (27) Kismet - Defense/Recharge
  • (29) Kismet - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 28: Repulsion Field

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (34) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (34) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 30: Damping Bubble

• (36) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (36) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (36) Gift of the Ancients - Defense/Increased Run Speed

Level 32: Aid Other

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (39) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (39) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (40) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

Level 35: Aid Self

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (40) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (40) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (42) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

Level 38: Field Medic

Level 41: Scorpion Shield

• (A) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (46) Red Fortune - Defense/Recharge
  • (46) Red Fortune - Endurance/Recharge
  • (46) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (48) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (48) Red Fortune - Endurance

Level 44: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 47: Tough

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (48) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (50) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 49: Weave

• (A) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (50) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (50) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 1: Supremacy

Level 1: Brawl

JayboH, good Looord what a Tanky build!

I couldn't help myself, I tinkered with your build.  I increased the global recharge and got Serum down to a 79 second recharge.  317/4=79 seconds.  I wanted Serum up as much as possible to get the +Res, +DMG, +Recovery, etc.  With Serum's +Res for the Mercs, even with the fade effect, I was able to remove the two +Res Uniques.   This move allowed for a couple damage procs in Soldiers.  I also threw a Soulbound Allegiance in Spec Ops for even more damage output.

I like how you chose Aid Self for your build.  I reworked the power in my build to make it even more useful.

My math has the henchmen Def at:  ~47% Typed, and ~43% AoE.  That sound right to you?

Merc.FF-JayboH.mxd

6 hours ago, bellona100 said:

JayboH, good Looord what a Tanky build!

I couldn't help myself, I tinkered with your build.  I increased the global recharge and got Serum down to a 79 second recharge.  317/4=79 seconds.  I wanted Serum up as much as possible to get the +Res, +DMG, +Recovery, etc.  With Serum's +Res for the Mercs, even with the fade effect, I was able to remove the two +Res Uniques.   This move allowed for a couple damage procs in Soldiers.  I also threw a Soulbound Allegiance in Spec Ops for even more damage output.

I like how you chose Aid Self for your build.  I reworked the power in my build to make it even more useful.

My math has the henchmen Def at:  ~47% Typed, and ~43% AoE.  That sound right to you?

Merc.FF-JayboH.mxd 4.97 kB · 1 download

It's WumpusRat's build slightly modified.  Endurance could prob use a little work, no?  How does it feel?  I haven't built it yet, I was hoping to get feedback.