Fire/Storm vs Elec/Storm

hemij

All things equal, which pumps out more damage?

Fire is the traditional choice, but the revamp'd Elec with it's Shocked proc and some EndMod help from Incarnates is really damn good. Plus you get 2 AoEs in Elec vs just Fire Ball.

19 hours ago, hemij said:

Plus you get 2 AoEs in Elec vs just Fire Ball.

What about Rain of Fire (very good w/ scourge) and Fire Breath?

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

34 minutes ago, Uun said:

What about Rain of Fire (very good w/ scourge) and Fire Breath?

I don't even consider Fire Breath because it's animation time makes it so clunky that it's not even worth using on a high recharge build that has Fire Ball up every 8 seconds, and the rest of the chain can be filled with strong ST from Fire or Storm power.

Rain of Fire is a good point tho - I figure that Short Circuit provides more damage (and even utility), especially since Short Circuit helps with Scourge and Shocked.

• 2 weeks later

Struggling with END already now that I'm in the mid teens...what recovery enhances would ppl recommend? Scourging Blast over Malice of the Corruptor...?

I only use the following toggles: Mystic Flight (usually turn off just before fights), Hover, Steamy Mist and Prestige Power Rush (with Celerity: Stealth, but only until I can get a Freebird: Stealth). All others are just SO 15s for now. Any advice?

My rotation includes: Snow Storm, Tenebrous, Night Fall (for crowds), Gale (as needed), Gloom, Moonbeam (when charged up); also Nemesis Staff & Blackwand quite a bit currently to supp the main dmg powers. Survival hasn't been an issue at all, just END - and if I run out of that & all my toggles go off, it's usually lights out! 😉

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!

9 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

Struggling with END already now that I'm in the mid teens...what recovery enhances would ppl recommend? Scourging Blast over Malice of the Corruptor...?

I only use the following toggles: Mystic Flight (usually turn off just before fights), Hover, Steamy Mist and Prestige Power Rush (with Celerity: Stealth, but only until I can get a Freebird: Stealth). All others are just SO 15s for now. Any advice?

My rotation includes: Snow Storm, Tenebrous, Night Fall (for crowds), Gale (as needed), Gloom, Moonbeam (when charged up); also Nemesis Staff & Blackwand quite a bit currently to supp the main dmg powers. Survival hasn't been an issue at all, just END - and if I run out of that & all my toggles go off, it's usually lights out! 😉

Storm's focus is on 4 main powers (though you're forced to take 5).

• Freezing Rain
  • Lightning Storm
  • Tornado
  • Steamy mist

The first 3 are also extremely endurance costly. Look at how much lightning storm costs, then consider that a competent endgame /storm will be dropping one every ~15s.

You have no end to waste on toys like snow storm.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Zect said:

So are Hurricane and Thunder Clap rubbish then...?

Not to mention that I'm also spamming all the Dark direct dmg attacks as well + the P2W free ranged ones! 8-/

I'll prob skip Torrent and Life Drain as well, and go all into pool & epic powers later, eh.

Edited by Nostromo21

13 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

So are Hurricane and Thunder Clap rubbish then...?

Hurricane is good but situational. There's a learning curve to its proper use. Thunder Clap IS rubbish, unless you plan to take Dark Pit (also rubbish) to stack with it.

13 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

I'll prob skip Torrent and Life Drain as well, and go all into pool & epic powers later, eh.

Why would you skip the self heal? Although Torrent is narrow, I wouldn't recommend skipping it, since you're leaving yourself with TT as your only AoE. 

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

12 hours ago, Uun said:

Hurricane is good but situational. There's a learning curve to its proper use. Thunder Clap IS rubbish, unless you plan to take Dark Pit (also rubbish) to stack with it.

Why would you skip the self heal? Although Torrent is narrow, I wouldn't recommend skipping it, since you're leaving yourself with TT as your only AoE. 

Because I'm a total Corruptor noob...? 😉 Although I'll end up with several more aoe powers than just TT, like the aforementioned Nightfall, Gale (yeah I know it's CC/KB only) and the 3 you recommended (FR, LS, Torn).

Ok, so skip TC & DP, possibly grab Hurricane and/or Torrent, def grab Life Drain, gotcha. I think I read somewhere that LD was a mediocre self-heal, but to be fair, it's the only one in Dark/Storm, not including pool/epic powers, so yeah, will try it. Given respecs are pretty easy to come by (every 10 levels on HC, so 5 by 50, not even counting the other ways to get them), there's no excuse for not trying every power, unless the entire community tells you it's total rubbish, powers like Black Hole say (that's for my Ill/Dark troller, who I also love, along with higher level MM necro/dark, who may end up being my main main :).

This is what I have so far:

https://www.midsreborn.com/builds/download.php?uc=924&c=395&a=790&f=HEX&dc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

Note that I'm only just level 14, so yet to slot up to 22, which I need to plan out. will move Freebird Fly+Stealth to Mystic Flight later most likely, and stick a LotG in Hover of course. Will switch most slots to IOs from 20 or 25 more than likely, then start to collect the key sets.

But what direction to best go in from 24...has to be pool powers, as I don't want Dark Pit or O2. So, any/all advice from veterinary corruptors such as yourself much appreciated!

Edited by Nostromo21

Sorry, brain fart. I was thinking of Nightfall. Torrent is skippable.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 5:46 AM, Zect said:

*AHEM* 

StormSummoning SnowStorm.png Snow Storm

While active, the chill from this Snow Storm can dramatically Slow the attack and movement speed of the target and all nearby foes. The torrent winds of the Snow Storm are enough to bring down flying foes.

Recharge Slow
Minimum Level Archetypeicon controller.png 4 (Controller)
  V archetypeicon corruptor.png 4 (Corruptor)
  Archetypeicon defender.png 2 (Defender)
  V archetypeicon mastermind.png 4 (Mastermind)
Effects Toggle: Ranged (Targeted Area of Effect)
  Foe -Recharge, -Speed, -Fly
Enhancements 22px-TO_Training_Endurance_Cost.png Reduce Endurance Cost
  22px-TO_Training_Attack_Rate.png Increase Attack Rate
  22px-TO_Training_Slow_powers.png Enhance Slow
Set Categories 22px-IO_Slow.pngSlow Movement

So, it's a toggle, end-hungry, BUT... It debuffs the target AND any nearby mobs, preventing them from flying or running away, and slows their attack rate.  This is a Must Have for any boss fight, and was my go-to power for taking on the Halloween EB's (since many of them had Fly and some summoned adds.)  Gale, skippable.  O2 Boost... yeah possibly skippable.  Snow Storm? noooot skippable, IMO.

Couple this with Freezing Rain, and now they're slowed even more, -Def and -Res are debuffed, they're being dealt KD ticks, and taking DoT.... and they can't scoot out from under.  

StormSummoning FreezingRain.png Freezing Rain

Summons Freezing Rain at a targeted location. Freezing Rain deals minimal Cold damage to anything that passes through the storm. It also Slows the affected foes and severely reduces their Defense and resistance to damage. Many foes may even slip and fall trying to escape the storm.

Damage Minor Damage over Time(Cold)
Recharge Long
Minimum Level Archetypeicon controller.png 16 (Controller)
  V archetypeicon corruptor.png 16 (Corruptor)
  Archetypeicon defender.png 8 (Defender)
  V archetypeicon mastermind.png 16 (Mastermind)
Effects Ranged (Location Area of Effect)
  Foe -Recharge, -Speed, -Defense, -Resistance
Enhancements 22px-TO_Training_Accuracy.png Enhance Accuracy
  22px-TO_Training_Damage.png Enhance Damage
  22px-TO_Training_Defense_DeBuff.png Enhance Defense Debuff
  22px-TO_Training_Endurance_Cost.png Reduce Endurance Cost
  22px-TO_Training_Range.png Enhance Range
  22px-TO_Training_Slow_powers.png Enhance Slow
Set Categories 22px-IO_Damage.pngRanged AoE Damage
  22px-IO_Defense_DeBuff.pngDefense Debuff
  22px-IO_Accurate_Defense_Debuff.pngAccurate Defense Debuff
  22px-IO_Slow.pngSlow Movement
  22px-IO_Damage.pngUniversal Damage

Hurricane is ... tricky.  It has a constant Repel effect and KB ticks, so tends to disperse things, but the biggest thing it does is -ToHit and -Range.  Affected Melee mobs can't hit anything reliably, and affected Ranged mobs can't target things reliably.  These debuffs persist for a bit after they're out of the area of effect.   

StormSummoning Hurricane.png Hurricane

You can summon a Hurricane. The wind and rain from this massive storm reduce the range and chance to hit of nearby foes. The massive winds of this storm continuously force foes away from you.

Recharge Slow
Minimum Level Archetypeicon controller.png 20 (Controller)
  V archetypeicon corruptor.png 20 (Corruptor)
  Archetypeicon defender.png 12 (Defender)
  V archetypeicon mastermind.png 20 (Mastermind)
Effects Toggle: Point Blank Area of Effect
  Foe -Range, -To-Hit, Repel, Knockback
Enhancements 22px-TO_Training_Endurance_Cost.png Reduce Endurance Cost
  22px-TO_Training_KnockBack_Distance.png Enhance Knockback Distance
  22px-TO_Training_ToHit_DeBuffs.png Enhance ToHit Debuff
Set Categories 22px-IO_Knockback_Distance.pngKnockback
  22px-IO_To_Hit_DeBuff.pngToHit Debuff

So, on the topic of End Drain/sapping.  It's a viable strategy on a Defender, since there's less damage overall (no Scourge).  But on a Corruptor, the secondary effects aren't quite as dramatic, AND with Scourge, once you've got something below half health, you can start to double up your damage more and more often.  So you will probably be draining the life as fast or faster than the end.

Keep in mind that with TT, you get an AoE Immob AND DoT.  That Immob effect automatically converts KB procs from your Storm powers to KD.  Doubling it up with Freezing Rain ought to be worth some laughs, too.

Edited by MistressOhm
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

The primary debuff from snow storm is -rech. When fresh enemies are initially engaged, they begin with all powers available to use, just like you do. They cycle through them one by one until all available attacks are used and recharging. This means that at the minimum, you will not see any benefit from -rech until an enemy has used all its available attacks once, by the time which it is generally dead or about to be dead.

This is weaker than other common debuffs, such as -tohit (only need to tank the alpha) or -res (kill things faster, always useful). Since bosses often have lots of attacks, your "must have" power for boss fights is ironically less effective against them; even less so for AV's, which have debuff resistance atop that. As for minions and lieutenants, they die within the opening salvo or two.

Other aspects of snow storm are situational. Few enemies in this game both fly and are vulnerable to -fly because Paragon Studios and Cryptic in particular were terrified of inconveniencing pampered melee AT's. As for -movespeed, freezing rain itself is not only a -movespeed power but a KD patch. It keeps things in place just fine.

Snow storm is skippable. Note that skippable does not mean useless, bad, unfun, or even worse, needs to be buffed - a misconception that prompts ill-informed players to launch into emotive defenses of their favorite power, and munchkins to beg for unnecessary and balance-breaking buffs. Not every power needs to be useful in every situation. It does mean, however, that

1. developers should try to introduce more situations where a skippable power is valuable; enemies that fly, for example, or enemies with particular weakness to -rech; and
  2. the power should not be used at the cost of core strengths of the powerset.

The core strength of /storm is massive damage that does not eat animation time. If you are strapped for end, as competent stormies are highly liable to be, spending that end on more impactful powers such as the 4 I mentioned will provide a greater benefit. Of course, if you want to spend it in less useful ways instead, you're welcome to; it's your loss.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

Keep in mind that with TT, you get an AoE Immob AND DoT.  That Immob effect automatically converts KB procs from your Storm powers to KD.  Doubling it up with Freezing Rain ought to be worth some laughs, too.

Bold portion is not correct. TT doesn't behave like controller immobilizes and has no KB resistance. You need to slot KB>KD in your Storm powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a fire/storm Controller and Corrupter.

Snow Storm is low priority for me, but useful at times. The longer the fight the more useful and the more end draining. Having a cardiac alpha helps.

I'd say a Fire/Storm corrupter has more Burst and AOE - I do like and use Fire breath, the uber is Freezing rain, Rain of Fire, Aim, Inferno.

Electric is better with the single targets, not that fire is poor, and has better power costs if I remember right.

The difference between the two on a well functioning team is negligible because what your bringing to the team that is most significant are the debuffs in storm - go with what is more fun for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **