What niche parts of the game are thriving and which are dead - pvp, AE for non-farming, RP, base construction, etc?

DougGraves

On 12/2/2022 at 4:58 PM, Zect said:

Did well on Live, dead on HC:

• Speed ITF - the reward was finally nerfed into the ground.
  • All other TF's when they are not the WST
  • All other iTrials
  • RWZ missions - Likely because they were run to unlock LGTF, and LGTF is now dead.
  • Hollows, Croatoa, Faultline, a lot of low-mid level contact arcs - For varying reasons. I think Hollows/Faultline you now level past too quickly. Croatoa died because KHTF is dead and nobody needs to unlock it anymore.
  • Respec trials (unless blue + WST)
  • Morality/tip missions
  • Redside

On Torchbearer we were (Although I don't know about now) running a lot of speed ITFs.

• Other TFs kind of depend. We'll run a lot of the ones to get the TF Commander
  • There's a few groups that run iTrials. Some folks run it differently compared to others, so depends on your play style
  • We have an instanced MSR weekly
  • I run Hollows because Frostfire was the OG Villain. (Level 5? Time to hit the Hollows) I'll turn off earning XP b4 hitting 15 to finish out the zone. Completing Talshek's arc will unlock CoT
    • Croatoa I run all of the time to unlock Katie (and it's my favorite zone)
    • Just did the whole Faultline last night
    • Run Striga to unlock Mechman
      • Caverns of Transcendence, Katie Hannon, and Mechman require unlocks to lead those TF/trials
  • Redside, on Torch has a population. Not that I am over there that often but I did try out running a ToT group redside on the last day. Managed Banners, Zombies, and a few GM hunts even though we only had about 14 people.
  • Otherwise, many times we'll run the story mission for getting your Fake Nemesis' badge
  • Farm CoT for Igneous bosses
  • Holiday stuff, Halloween and the Winter events

• Personally I like to do DiB but not too many folks are familiar with that one.
  • There are zones out there that really don't have content (story arcs), that I wish they did, such as Boomtown
  • Sometimes we make up our own events. Saturday night Synapse with multiple Babbages. Did a bowling event one time. Tanker Tuesday, TF Tuesday, Hami, Hamicides on the weekend.

A lot of it depends on where you play and when. I wish more ppl would take the initiative to run other content. On Torch, eh, I don't think we're that big on costume contests. Base building, maybe. Some folks have gone out of their way to make public bases with all teleport options available. GM hunts are always popular. Queued up for a team... Supradine raid is in progress....Gotta go. We'll run radios to get the free unlocks, esp Talos (SC) bank mish for the free ATT. DFBs all of the time (please admit when you don't know how to get the Vhaz badge, I don't mind explaining)

IDK, on Torch it's hard to tell sometimes. Many of our regs abandoned ship to other shards for higher pops, but Torch is my home. Don't be afraid to embarrass yourself, I do it every day. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Debt is just another badge, and I am way, way, way, way, way, way, way ahead of you all in that department. 

• Like 2

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Logged back in to tell everyone that you should always, always, always go Redside if you're playing normally from level 1. The story arcs are much more consistently updated to award even small numbers of Merits, which can be turned into Inf by selling enhancement converters. They also tend to be shorter and easier to get through. On Redside you'll get way more Merits, and way less (not none) horrific mission and arc structures than the landfill from the Dawn Of Time on blueside.

As far as early to mid gameplay progression goes, Redside is superior to a frankly unreasonable degree, and after then you would probably have tip mission'ed your way to whatever alignment you'd prefer anyway (or had a meeting with Null). And I've seen your costumes and names. You don't care about story that much.

Edited by SaintD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

I've been running my WS exclusively through redside, bar the odd blue TF, and forgot how much I loved the writing/ the arcs/ how it feels impactful.
So many blue arcs culminate in "Go across the city and beat up this other <BOSS RANKED ENEMY WHICH ADDS NO MORE CHALLENGE THAN THE LAST THREE>" and then you'll get a badge.
Redside tends to go out with a bang... "go to a door in this city and beat up <ATLEAST EB RANKED NAMED BOSS>". Feels quite satisfying. I've just done Ambassador Kuhr'Rekt's arc and had completely forgotten that Posi turned up in the Valk mission. Just wish there was a few more achievement badges for some of the missions.

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

Hey dere, dis is Stickbonker, da Mayor of Parakeet City. I been seein’ a lot by lookin’ around, an’ dere is some stuff dat is real populist, an’ other stuff dat we ain’t been doin’ enough of.

Da popular stuff:

• Runnin’ around an’ jumpin’ on stuff in Hatless Park
  • Wearin’ super cool costumes dat make you look like stuff
  • Hangin’ out in dat Pockety place drinkin’ all dat imagilicious beer

Da stuff we ain’t doin’ enough of:

• Stickbonkin’
  • Talkin’ about stickbonkin’
  • Playin’ dat mission I made dat has hot dogs in it

Den dere’s all dat stuff we doin’ too much of:

• Not stickbonkin’
  • Waitin’ in line at City Hall for a stickbonkin’ permit because dem beercats keep pushin’ people around wif pencils an’ steppin’ on da small business guy
  • Lookin’ for dat boot I lost in da sewer in Underpants Port
  • Playin’ other guys dat ain’t really you for tax purposes

We gotta get on dis list of stuff, everybody. Especially da one about da hot dogs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

2 minutes ago, josewales said:

Red has an organized community? I miss the villain days. I want back in!

Organised? We're villains!! Yesterday I was in a low teens-mid 20s redside team. Mr Snarky was there 👀

People are there - or people always come over 🙂 

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png