Brute Fire Defence

WhiteZin

Hello all.

I have a Fire/Fire Brute. Level 50+. Most slots filled with IOs.

Tried a farm at level 50 +2  x 8. Took massive damage. I was told that "Fire Defence" should be at 45%. My Combat Attributes show 13.6%.

I shelled out 60 mil influence for four Hecatomb.  Arg! Just realized it's providing 6%  Fire resistance! (That's at 90%) Sooo.. I'll change my question.

What can I get to improve my fire resistence?

Thanks

If you have fire defense, your resistance should be easy to cap at 90%.  In fact, I have a hard time not going way over on resists.

Just dropping 3 IOs into Fire Shield, Temp Protect, and Plasma Shield will get you to 90% fire resist.

If you are actually asking about Fire Defense - Winter IOs will help tremendously.  But they are expensive.

Are you able to post your build so we can take a look at it?

Edited by Ghost

11 hours ago, WhiteZin said:

Hello all.

I have a Fire/Fire Brute. Level 50+. Most slots filled with IOs.

Tried a farm at level 50 +2  x 8. Took massive damage. I was told that "Fire Defence" should be at 45%. My Combat Attributes show 13.6%.

I shelled out 60 mil influence for four Hecatomb.  Arg! Just realized it's providing 6%  Fire resistance! (That's at 90%) Sooo.. I'll change my question.

What can I get to improve my fire resistence?

Thanks

As others have mentioned you do want 45% fire defense and 90% fire resistance, but as also mentioned fire melee sword attacks now do -DEF since page 5 came out.  This means all you need is one or two to hit, even with 45% fire defense, to experience the wonders of a cascading failure.

You'll want to look for fire farms that are page 5 ready that mention no -DEF in the description and you should be fine.

Combat jumping, Weave, leadership Maneuvers are some powers you can pick to boost Defence. 

Mocking Beratement in the Taunt sets gives Fire defence at 5 slots.

Avalanche, Blistering cold and frozen blast winter sets give fire defence.

Steadfast protection and Gladiators armor uniques give +defence.

Aegis resist damage set gives fire defence.

Just to name a few.

Aegis and MB are cheap sets to boost Fire defence.

Edited by Gobbledegook

Keep in mind there is a reason for 100% resistance.  Sure, a Brute and a Tank top out at 90%.  Have you ever wondered what your resistance to having your 90% resistance (assuming you topped out) debuffed down is?   Uh huh, it is your “back of book” resistance value.  So if you have 90% resistance you have 90% resistance to it being debuffed and possible cascading failure.  But with 100% your resistance stays at that 90% value no matter how many resistance debuffs an Aeon TF throws at you.  This is Armor navel gazing, but is that not why we are here?  

But yes defense is generally better….unless you do not have defense debuff resistance, in which case one good round of ITF type attacks will leave you with your butt hanging in the breeze.  

This is why when I build Dark Armor I lean into the resists and mez shields and avoid the transitory defense.  Against garbage mobs that is enough, against AVs who ignore the mez the armor and heal is enough.  Play to your armors strengths rather than try to rebuild it into Invulnerability.  Or just run Invulnerability 

Comments

• If you're running a fire farm with defense debuffers learn/figure out the typical value of their defdebuff is.  Add the amount of the debuff to 45.  If you can reach that value in defense you'll be much harder to initiate a cascade failure.   Instead of 1 in 20 you'd still be at 45 and you'll be 1 in 20 times 1 in 20 or only 1 in 400 of potentially initiating a cascade failure and a cascade failure is how you go from okay to dead in the blink of an eye.  
  • Resistance does not suffer from cascade failure.  Getting Resistance debuffed is resisted by your full resistance value each time you are debuffed.  Some resistance debuffs are tagged as unresistable.  100% resistance means never getting resistance debuff except by debuffs tagged unresistable (you'll always take 10% damage unless unresistable comes into the picture).

Thanks for the great responses! I hate to admit my ignorance but it'll take a fair amount of back and forth between these responses and the game to understand some of it. But I'll get it! LOL!

Also, I don't know how to post the build or I definitly would.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me.

Edited by WhiteZin
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you're Fire Armor, you're hitting 90% Fire Resist w/ 2 Lvl 50 IOs in Fire and Plasma Shield and a Steadfast +3% Defense in Temp Protection (TP also giving 100% Regen).

As mentioned, any additional Resist (and for Fire Armor even on Brute this is easy) to Fire is going to stop you from losing that Fire Resist.

I'd go with grabbing more +Recharge!  Capped resists and a heal that comes back as fast as possible.  I'm not the biggest fan of Hasten, but on Fire Armor grab it and love it!  

Further slotting should give extra defense in the way of Absorb (get that Absorb Proc) and some additional Healing (Power Transfer Proc and Panacea +Heal/+End IO)

So, I'd likely have that Hecatomb in the build, but I'd have 5 of them to get to that 10% +Recharge Bonus.

1 hour ago, WhiteZin said:

Thanks for the great responses! I hate to admit my ignorance but it'll take a fair amount of back and forth between these responses and the game to understand some of it. But I'll get it! LOL!

Also, I don't know how to post the build or I definitly would.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me.

If you are using MiDs go to:   File   Export   Forum Export, (export full build yes) and i usually do Export data chunk as well as data link

• Thumbs Up 2