Impassioned Serenade bugged, not confusing

WindDemon21

8 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

Yeah that's where I went :/. Just says how, which I did but not why its not working :(.

Is your card on the list?

Did you go into the AMD Radeon Settings and activate Relive?

If so, check the keybind settings in Relive.

Attack hits, does damage, but no confuse, enemy attacks me repeatedly (ie more than first hit, which also needs fixed)

My Symphony/Empathy controller is only level 14. I have not slotted up confuse on the power. It has 2 Acc and the +PSI Damage Prestige Enhancement in it. I don't have Tactics yet on the character.

At this level, I confuse over 66% of the team by my estimates. I did the counting in my head and it lasts 20 seconds on Oranges.

If you don't wait for the confuse to expire and hit the target successfully again, it should stack the confuse fx and make it easier for the confuse to happen.

I'll check back after my Symphony Controller is over level 22.

A friend of mine had a Symphony controller up in the 30's, and they haven't complained about the confuse not working, but we may be hitting the same targets on that one.  (I duo that team with a Symphony Dominator).

Yup, like flash freeze as well, should be fixed too. Though I imagine the timing being harder for sleeps cause they wake up, but for a confuse power, should definitely have the confuse hit before the damage (even if we're talking milliseconds, they shouldn't attack you first).

Enemies don't attack with any of the confuse powers that don't do damage.

Honestly, I think Symphony is the only set where confuse and/or sleep do damage unless you add damage procs.

2 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

Also going insane trying to get my video recording to work. Reached out to microsoft, did something but didn't work. When i hit the hotkey, I can see the little circle moving near the cursor, but still nothing happens. AMD radeon 570 i think. Maybe someone could video it happening with to show it.

Do you know where the video capture folder is?

I kind of think mine for City of Heroes defaulted into the City of Heroes game file folder. It was a long time ago, and I redirected NVidia to load the CoH capture files directly into my main CoH storage folder (which is different from the game file folder).

Plenty of videos on YouTube about AMD Radeon Relive, but I did see something about it being discontinued and, on newer versions of the software, you have to access the video capture by different methods, so you might want to check into that as well with AMD customer support.

2 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

Yeah, just did it again, hovering, even level capo gunner, it hit, did damage, didn't move, they were slept, and it didn't confuse at ALL. Someone want to help record it? I'm on Everlasting.

Oh, is it always happening while using hover?

My character doesn't have hover. I'll try it with a flight pack to see if that has any impact on it.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

Oh, is it always happening while using hover?

My character doesn't have hover. I'll try it with a flight pack to see if that has any impact on it.

Nope, that 2nd video I just posted I wasn't hovering. Two examples, (there could be more) where it just plain doesn't work. Watch those videos and you can see. I doubt somehow it's just MY character that's bugged, but as you can see if the video, it's clearly happening on the power at random.

2 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Here is another one, skip to 1:23, watch before if you need.

Well, I'm confused. 

It looks to me like you are constantly confusing targets with the power and for well over a couple of seconds (per your estimate).

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Well, I'm confused. 

It looks to me like you are constantly confusing targets with the power and for well over a couple of seconds (per your estimate).

I didn't say it didn't work every time, some/most of the times it does work, but it's unreliable. If you skip to the time I say to, you can clearly see that sometimes it just plain doesn't confuse at all even though it should.

11 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

I didn't say it didn't work every time, some/most of the times it does work, but it's unreliable. If you skip to the time I say to, you can clearly see that sometimes it just plain doesn't confuse at all even though it should.

There is a chance to hit, and I'm pretty sure there is a seperate check on the special effects.

I think all the other confuses are just confuse, so the hit check is for the confuse.

I have the feeling that the hit check on the confuse for symphony is for the damage and then there is a second SFX activation check on the confuse versus any mez protection that the enemy might have at the time. I'm thinking it is the same kind of mechanic like holds and fears where magnitude may be playing a part in it as well. 

.... oh, and good to see that you were able to get the video capture working.

Edited by UltraAlt

10 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

There is a chance to hit, and I'm pretty sure there is a seperate check on the special effects.

I think all the other confuses are just confuse, so the hit check is for the confuse.

I have the feeling that the hit check on the confuse for symphony is for the damage and then there is a second SFX activation check on the confuse versus any mez protection that the enemy might have at the time. I'm thinking it is the same kind of mechanic like holds and fears where magnitude may be playing a part in it as well. 

.... oh, and good to see that you were able to get the video capture working.

Only sleeps now have a different hit check for the sleep vs damage cause it's an autohit. No reason why this vs any other damaging control would have a separate hit check than the damage. I thought that as well, and THAT might be where the bug is, but it SHOULDN'T have a separate hit check for the confuse vs the damage.

When I was doing my testing, I ONLY used Serenade to isolate that power.  From looking at your videos, it seems that the critter that was confused but just stood there was also under other effects, hold, immob, fear, etc.  I think what you may be seeing is an animation conflict between all the effects.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

When I was doing my testing, I ONLY used Serenade to isolate that power.  From looking at your videos, it seems that the critter that was confused but just stood there was also under other effects, hold, immob, fear, etc.  I think what you may be seeing is an animation conflict between all the effects.

No that's not it. I know you WANT to find a reason for what you think, but trust me, that's NOT it. the power is just bugging, plain and simple.

I have even started a mob with it, and only it, and what i hit, did damage, but ZERO confuse. If you look at that second video, that capo gunner even gets hit, you can see the damage, but then he goes right on to attack me again.

This isn't the only instance where this is occurring for me. Maybe somehow, the bug is paired simply BY being /ff, i know it makes no sense, but this power is 100% bugging. on it's own.

It could even be an instance where, the confuse IS on a separate hit check than the damage (which it 100% shouldn't be), but as i stated earlier, against a -14 skull boss, there is NO way that it "missed" the confuse 4-5 times in a row.

Like i said again, it's not just an animation thing (which could ALSO be happening, but that's not the main issue here). The issue is, they are STILL attacking me/team after being hit by the power when they shouldn't.

On 12/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

You can also tell it's not working, because there is no DoT damage on the enemy after they are hit. If they are confused, that DoT is supposed to take place.

31 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Here's another one, the confuse cast at 17 seconds in.

In this video you can clearly see the enemy IS confused.

Oh you meant the second enemy, hmm, I'm not certain, but my guess is that was a miss.

Edited by Wavicle

Using too many powers for a proper isolation of the issue, and no tabs with any combat information (Hit Rolls, System, Error, Damage Inflicted (this is the channel which will notify you when a status effect is applied to an enemy)).  Set up a proper tab for testing so we can see relevant information and stop spamming powers.  Use one power, then Confuse.  Repeat until the bug is either shown, or it's evident that specific pairing of powers is not the cause.  Repeat the process for each power you use in conjunction with the Confuse.  When the problem is narrowed down to a specific combination of powers, then make a video so we can identify the issue.

From what I see on CoD, the controller version is missing all boostset (enhancement) categories on the redirect, and the dominator redirect is allowing controller boostsets in the redirect.

controller:

dominator:

That shouldn't prevent it from apply the base Confuse, but with this engine, who knows.  At any rate, neither entry is correct, so there are two bugs.

Containment is in main power for the controller version, but Domination in the redirect for the dominator version.  Could be a problem there.

Regardless, test it, and do it right.  You've spent enough hours shaking your fist and shouting during betas to know how to properly test.  This face-roll and make a video approach, without even an iota of combat information shown, is useless.  Telling your teammates that the people trying to respond to your bug report are idiots wasn't particularly helpful, or incentivizing, either.

Edited by Luminara
formatting
  • Thanks 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Wavicle said:

With all the combat spam sometimes you won't see a Miss on the battlefield. Be sure to check your combat log to verify the hit.

You can clearly see, in that last video, at 17 seconds that one enemy gets hit with the confuse. You can see the initial damage, but that's it, nothing else.

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Yeah.  This idiot is out.

True apologies on that. Was just super frustrated (going on to get another video after just coming from the forums and seeing more disbelief), after providing multiple videos and descriptions of having to continue to explain myself, it gets to be a bit exhausting having to yet again get another video, on top of all the issues I was having just being able to get the videos working in the first place. It's extra frustrating, that other teammates have seen it, and noticed it themselves on their own symphs (can even see the one in the video stating he though the confuse was actually different than other ST confuses as far as the confuse effectiveness), but then people here saying they don't see it and making me feel crazy on top of it.

I'm trying to help figure what might be causing it, but i'm still providing clear video showing it occurring. Wherever the bug is lying, it's there. Initial damage hits, but no confuse, and no DoT.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Using too many powers for a proper isolation of the issue, and no tabs with any combat information (Hit Rolls, System, Error, Damage Inflicted (this is the channel which will notify you when a status effect is applied to an enemy)).  Set up a proper tab for testing so we can see relevant information and stop spamming powers.  Use one power, then Confuse.  Repeat until the bug is either shown, or it's evident that specific pairing of powers is not the cause.  Repeat the process for each power you use in conjunction with the Confuse.  When the problem is narrowed down to a specific combination of powers, then make a video so we can identify the issue.

I get that, however, I've had multiple scenarios, and it oddly seems to be happening less as i'm trying to reproduce it as a bug. It could just be the whole watched pot thing, but it kinda makes it more frustrating too. I've had it happen with just initial confuse as the first power on a mob. I know this for sure and not just a "false memory" because i was specifically doing it on a sorcerer to make sure they didn't tp/debuff aura.

I've just been also giving every example as they come by, cause these ARE all scenarios where it keeps happening, so they are no less valid as well, power interaction or not. Data data data.

After continuing this I do feel like the bug is lying in that "dot only when they're confused" mechanic, but the oddest part is, where it also just seems to be happening at random no matter what you try to duplicate. I'm not sure if somehow, set-specific, because you know how spaghetti code can be, that because the set has a "dot does not occur from confounding chant if they're asleep" might be inter-mingling with this power as well, even though it's not "not working if sleep is involved." Just another theory where the bug may lie.

4 hours ago, Wavicle said:

With all the combat spam sometimes you won't see a Miss on the battlefield. Be sure to check your combat log to verify the hit.

Was mentioning earlier, it's not a miss though, you can see the initial damage of the confuse power hitting the target at 17s, but no confuse (harder to see on that example besides the obvious no purple bubbles around the head, but also, no DoT on that target from the confuse.

My best guess was confuse running on a separate hit check, but that still woudln't explain when it hit a -14 boss in PP 5-6 times, and it still didn't confuse.

10 hours ago, Wavicle said:

What is unquestionable is that this power IS wonky. I'm not convinced that you've properly described what is ACTUALLY happening, but that the power is buggy is definitely true.

More rigorous and methodical testing is required to figure out what's actually happening.

Oh one hundred thousand percent. It definitely is. I'm providing videos, and examples of exactly what has happened when I notice it.

Im trying to figure what us causing it and think of possibilities, but unlike other bugs I've encountered this one just seems 100% random. It's crazy.

56 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

what you have to do is start eliminating possible explanations. That's why it's good to use ONLY that power and see if it's still happening.

Turn off Hover, turn off Dispersion, everything.

Right, i've turned everything off but hover in any of those I think. like I said so far, my best guesses, were either the confuse running on a separate hit check than the damage, or most likely, as it's the only st confuse with the dot when they're confused, the issue probably mostly lies in that mechanic/code. It has never confused, but did no dot, or vice versa. Those were always linked, but what is happening is that initial damage, then no confuse/dot.

This makes *possibly* the most sense in all my testings, except that -14 skull boss I tested it on where i hit him 5-6 times and still didn't confuse or dot, which of course annoyingly I can't seem to recreate either.

The confuse being a separate redirect effect of the power is sketchy.  Why is it coded like that?  I'm pretty sure that's why there's a second, separate LoS check for just the confuse part of the power that can result in "no" when the main LoS check is "yes." I wouldn't be surprised if there was other weird behavior due to the redirect.

What's the desired behavior that we get from having it be a redirect instead of a straightforward effect of the power?