Additional rewards for higher difficulties

Jiro Ito

Usually when I lead a TF, I pick a time limit and "no deaths" challenge setting, for no reason other than my own idea of fun.

I'd like to suggest players earn additional rewards for selecting higher difficulty options on Task Forces, in accordance with the difficulty selected ("Enhancements have no effect" would be worth much more than "Enemies in missions are buffed" for example, and longer and more difficult TFs would offer more rewards). 

Currently these items don't have a tangible reward in TFs, other than you can get a few of the Ouro badges if you do LRSF through the Ouro crystal.  This would give us some incentive to choose these options on TFs beyond adding more challenge for the sake of challenge.  A bonus to merits, aether, xp and inf would be a cool incentive to pick these options.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Well, historically, when Live, CoH never gave you anything more for challenge settings in Ouroborus, or "Master of" runs. 

Doing it was considered it's own reward, and the whole idea was to keep it as optional as possible.

So I'm loosely opposed to the idea on that principle.

That said, it's not exactly difficult to pile up influence or merits, either. So I don't think boosting it would really change the big picture all that much.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any boost would still leave it lightyears behind AE farming.  And ive also thought some of those settings should increase rewards as well.

My thoughts would be a percentage boost to xp and inf from kills and not a flat reward at the end with higher bonuses when multiple options are enabled.

Players debuffed +10%

Enemies buffed +10%

Enhancements have no effect +40%

Players debuffed and enemies buffed +25%

Players debuffed and no enhancements +60%

Enemies buffed and no enhancements +60%

All 3 at the same time +85%

Thats just my thoughts on how it might go.  I ran a low level mission with all 3 at -1 and those enemies were nasty.  I had to be careful when there were more than 2 minions.  It was like when the game first came out and pulling a second group was basically a guaranteed death.

Edit: throw Jiro more aether.

Edited by TheZag
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Throw me some more aether though too!

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Joking aside,  increasing the aether per mission chance by 1/5 of the bonuses i used above would be a good starting point.

All 3 at the same time would be 85*.2=17  Plus the normal 2% would give 19% chance for aether per mission.

Lower level arcs would need to be lower values,  this is meant for level 50 stuff.

Edited by TheZag

• 1 year later

How odd.  So challenge modes don't increase rewards?  It's fine if they don't, it's just surprising to have settings like that with zero material incentive.  Can someone kindly confirm this is still the case?

25 minutes ago, Zombra said:

it's just surprising to have settings like that with zero material incentive.

Presumably we do things for fun too, or just because we can.  Not everything has to boil down to raw-2636327393.gif.676d0333c3d45315f90fae1a97572398.gif

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

19 minutes ago, Zombra said:

How odd.  So challenge modes don't increase rewards?  It's fine if they don't, it's just surprising to have settings like that with zero material incentive.  Can someone kindly confirm this is still the case?

The challenge options are mostly for Ouroboros - you can get a lot of badges using different settings at all the different levels and running arcs.  Because Ouroboros arcs are set up as "TFs/SFs," the challenge settings occur in actual TFs/SFs too, like Posi 1&2, Synapse, Tarikoss, etc - however, they do not reward extra badges or other rewards for completing these normal TFs/SFs with challenges.

However, there are some TFs/SFs like Ms. Liberty, Lord Recluse or trials like Eden and Abandoned Sewer Network that you DO use challenge settings for the "Master of" badges.  Also, Imperious TF and Aeon SF can accept challenge settings (1-4 stars) and you DO get extra rewards (like aethers and more reward merits) for completing them on these increased difficulties.  But most normal TFs/SFs, the setting do not yield any reward.

• Thanks 1