(SR focused) Proposed change to dodge mechanics.

Dnyd

Yes teams full of support sets all buffing each other can get extremely insane in a way no combo of melee damage have a hope of matching.  Green Machine says "Hi" along with several random Repeat Offenders Network teams I've been on.

I feel a sense of deja vu coming over me.  Are we trying to solve a perceived game mechanics issue or an "it doesn't match my internal vision problem"?

PS:  pretty sure if I went all out I could in fact spike my defense (without Barrier at peak) at over 145% .

40+70+30+15 = 155 no set bonuses or outside buffs.  Adding the two 3% defense uniques and Barrier at 5% not included. Nor accounting for further Alpha slot improvement (Nerve or Agility)

Edit:  40, that's my builds actual defense sans the two 3% etc., + 70 Elude, + 30 Eye of Magus, + 15 Unleashed Potential 

Edited by Doomguide2005

25 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Yes teams full of support sets all buffing each other can get extremely insane in a way no combo of melee damage have a hope of matching.  Green Machine says "Hi" along with several random Repeat Offenders Network teams I've been on.

I feel a sense of deja vu coming over me.  Are we trying to solve a perceived game mechanics issue or an "it doesn't match my internal vision problem"?

PS:  pretty sure if I went all out I could in fact spike my defense (without Barrier at peak) at over 145% .

40+70+30+15 = 155 no set bonuses or outside buffs.  Adding the two 3% defense uniques and Barrier at 5% not included. Nor accounting for further Alpha slot improvement (Nerve or Agility)

Using the OP's option 2, which seems to be his/her preference, that would give your character 100% damage resist for the 145% and 110% damage resist for the 155%.

Edit: Sorry, they're halved. So 50% and 55% damage resist respectively. Before you add in scaling damage resist, the damage resist proc, damage resist powers, or damage resist set bonuses.

Edited by Rudra

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

To even have this proposal considered you first would have to make a positive argument showing that Defense in general is weak (lmao), and that SR specifically is weak (I'm dying here).

Good luck with that.

Yes and my numbers are for a Scrapper.  An SR Tanker would be much worse ... then again their defense hard cap is 225 (and change iirc).  Further there's nothing particular exceptional about my defense.  There's literally no set bonuses outside the two 3% involved.  There are most definitely folks running SR scrappers at the incarnate cap but they are using set bonuses to do so.

32 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I'm going to have to disagree with people here.  SR needs changes.  Another 10-20% +Recharge and +Slow Resist tacked onto Quickness is that change.  🙂

No one here is saying SR doesn't have some warts just nothings so off it requires changes the OP is proposing.  At least that's my understanding of the thread.  Me I'd like to see Elude tweaked but if it never happens that would be fine too.  SR as a whole works very well across all levels and builds.   

4 hours ago, BrandX said:

I'm going to have to disagree with people here.  SR needs changes.  Another 10-20% +Recharge and +Slow Resist tacked onto Quickness is that change.  🙂

The argument is just how OP the OP would make the set.

Whats wrong with having a skippable T9 ?  Almost every armor set has a rarely useful T9.  Easily capping defenses isnt a problem either,  use the slots somewhere else.  My SR gets a ton of extra slots to use in other powers.  I can skip elude, weave and combat jumping and still be above 45% defense.  Thats 3 other power picks and 1 pool freed up (still taking tough).  Having capped defense and decent resist that increases as your health drops pretty much makes you invincible as you drop below 40% hp.  Its not comfortable playing at low hp when we are used to being full all the time but the reality of it is SR is the easiest set to become super with,  you can do it with just SOs.

Buffing over capped defense to add resist would require a nerf somewhere else.  Do we lose the low hp damage resist?  Thats about all there is to take because the other option would be lower the defense values and the suggestion is to add a buff to those high defenses,  not lower the values. 

So the suggestion boils down to change the scaling damage resist to be at full strength while at full hp and remove build flexibility by making more slots and powers needed for defense abilities.  And im not considering what this means for other ATs and power sets.  They can cap defenses too,  do they get free resists?  Positional defenses add resist to all but typed defenses only add resist to that type?  Seems a bit imbalanced for positional defense to give 8 resist types and typed defense only gives 1.

Sweeping defense changes would destroy the games balance.  It would be easier to make a new game than to gut the defense system from the inside and rebalance everything when its been balanced for the current system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

No one here is saying SR doesn't have some warts just nothings so off it requires changes the OP is proposing.  At least that's my understanding of the thread.  Me I'd like to see Elude tweaked but if it never happens that would be fine too.  SR as a whole works very well across all levels and builds.   

My post was a bit of a joke 🙂  That suggestion was more of a desire than anything, but I will say, I did forget all about Elude.

For Elude, I would think making it into something similar to Strength of Will, but with Defense.  However, that may still make it considered redundant.