So i have altitis with Sents and I want to fix it, please help!

SwankyBuld

So i have crippling altitis right now and i really want to change it. I love sents, the idea of them, the way they play and the thematics of it having a blaster but the can be tanky too. 

Right now i am struggling to think of a good build. I dont need anything that tops of the chart of everyone, but something that i can really hold my own with. 

Right now in the works for lvl 50s that i have are rad/rad, water/rad, fire/regen (although i want something more unique than fire blast because i see it everywhere, although i know its the best), ice/dark and currently working on an ice/rad.

I really like the idea of ice because of the great ST but i know my aoe will be lacking. Any recommendations to have an all around good sentinel for everything? A jack of all trades that might include ice blast?

I appreciate the help and help someone suffering from altitis today!

If you focus on lots of recharge you can have blizzard up every 22 seconds or so (perma hasten of course). Cycling that with ice storm means you will be handing out a lot of AOE pain. Go with an Ice/Energy and you'll be very sturdy, and a 20% recharge bonus is baked in already. That will probably do you well. 

First off.. there is NOTHING wrong with having altitis... ZERO.. its a perfectly normal condition and nothing you should be ashamed of..

Second.. there is NOTHING wrong with Loving sents. I love em.. they are fun.. the point of the game is fun.. and what makes things fun for YOU what is the most important.

Now.. Sents that I currently have...  they are all level 50 and all pretty much maxed out...

Fire/Rad.. this one is probably the best overall..

Dark/Bio... This one is the Proc monster.. and with his build the most survivable one. Bio Armor is just so good.

Elec/Elec I did this as a theme Sapper build.. I like him very fun

DP/SR The GunFu-Equillibrium you get  the idea..

I also planning a Water/Energy..

As Far as Ice.. Ive given it a lot of thought and while I'd like to go Ice/Ice for theme.. everything I understand says Ice Armor just is so " meh ",  So I am looking at Ice/Stone and it looks like that build has a lot of potential..

You can always jump on the test server and make a build real quick to see if you like it before you invest the time and energy..

1 hour ago, SwankyBuld said:

I really like the idea of ice because of the great ST but i know my aoe will be lacking.

What?  Lacking how?  It has Blizzard, Ice Storm and Frost Breath, and you can select a PBAoE from the *PPs.  Blizzard + Ice Storm and the *PP PBAoE is enough to defeat minions and lieutenants at +1/x5 (my preferred difficulty setting), and a perma-Hasten build reduces Blizzard's recharge time to ~21 seconds (20.78 on my Ice/Willpower/Dark), so it's an every spawn power.  And Blizzard tacks on a sizeable ToHit debuff, increasing your survivability, plus the stacked Slows make up for the lack of a taunt aura (can't run is as good as won't run).

Ice is fantastic for AoE.

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 minutes ago, drbuzzard said:

If you focus on lots of recharge you can have blizzard up every 22 seconds or so (perma hasten of course). Cycling that with ice storm means you will be handing out a lot of AOE pain. Go with an Ice/Energy and you'll be very sturdy, and a 20% recharge bonus is baked in already. That will probably do you well. 

Yup... Great Idea. You could also think about taking one of the immobilizes from the Epics and hold them in place so they dont scatter when you drop the rain on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SwankyBuld said:

Any recommendations to have an all around good sentinel for everything? A jack of all trades that might include ice blast?

You could essentially pick anything out of your list and meet the parameters you set. 

Almost every AT has combinations of power sets with some weakness to some aspect of the game. Its pretty hard to get around that and Sentinels aren't any different. 

If you really like Ice Blast, then go for it. If you want to push its single target damage further, then several of the powers can use damage procs to do that. Any of the highly recommended secondaries like Energy Aura, Super Reflexes, Invulnerability, and so on help enable proc builds a bit easier. However, any of the Sentinel pairings can pull it off if you're willing to give up some defense in the process. 

So yeah.. the answer is potentially anything. There isn't an easy fix to your altitis. You'll just have to work on the 1,000 character slots you are granted like the rest of us junkies. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 1:35 PM, SwankyBuld said:

Any recommendations to have an all around good sentinel for everything?

I really like my dual pistols/radiation armor sentinel - you get a lot of versatility through swap ammo, and radiation armor provides a whole host of tools to keep you on your feet and fighting.  I tend to stay in cryo ammo for the extra range, but incendiary, chem, and standard ammo have their own uses, too.  particle shielding is your mainstay power and the extra +recharge from particle acceleration is really nice.  Ground zero is a decent PBAoE to complement your other attacks, but also heals allies and can debuff the enemies it hits.  It's just an all-around great combo, IMHO!

• Like 1

• 1 month later

Sentinels end up being the archetype that I spend the most time on because they are my oro flashback archetype. I have settled on two (one for hero arcs and the other for villain arcs) that both seem really enjoyable to play.

Seismic Blast / Energy Aura

Water Blast / Bio Armor 

They both play pretty similarly, pretty much blast your way through any challenges and if you need it, you have a heal. I suspect pretty much any sentinel will play the same way. I landed on my choices because I liked the extra recharge reduction in Energy and the extra damage from Bio Armor.

I put the opportunity debuff on auto-cast as I find it much easier than dealing with another ability on my quickbars. By itself it won't draw aggro, but it will drop you into combat (so avoid targeting while you travel).

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown