The "BEST"

Xandyr

Hey all.

So, looking around this forum, and the other ATs", I see a recurring theme...people coming on here and asking the same question. 

" What is THE BEST sets?"

While at one point in time, I, too, wanted to only play THE BEST. The most damaging, the most OP'd, the most UBER, etc etc.

And then came along MY best.

Willpower/ Staff

Yes, you read that right. MY best is my WP/Staff tank.

🤔🤨

Oh, you're still reading? Great. I'm sure you're wondering why on God's green earth do I believe that WP/Staff is the best. Well, it's not. BUT to me, it's MY best.

See....I can picture myself as this character. Practically all natural. I can see myself AS this toon. Especially once you understand his Bio...

My toon's name is Rastus. As a kid, my dad would call me that. Unfortunately, I lost my Dad back in 2014 to cancer. I lost my Mom in 2019 (she had/beat cancer, but it was her heart that gave out). And here's where my character's bio develops. 

Brian "Rastus" Fury watched as his parents were slowly succumbing to cancer while he was in his prime. He volunteered to be a guinea pig for Dr. Vaz,who promised his experimental drugs could help.  These drugs were meant to boost one person's immune system to the point that a blood transfusion from the subject could seek out and destroy cancerous cells in another. The side effect was that Brian's body was able to regenerate so quickly at the molecular level, that wounds were almost healed instantly. Brian KNEW he could save his parents!  However ,Dr. Vaz couldn't keep an IV in Brian long enough before his cells repaired themselves. Unfortunately, Brian's parents ended up losing their battle because of this. Although he couldn't save his parents, he knew he could save others. Brian is now a hero for those that can't fight for themselves, even as he fights his own personal demons and deals with his loss.

There ya go. THAT is what makes MY WP/Staff Tank MY BEST. It's personal. An extension of me.

So, go ahead and calculate, to the .0001 how fast your attacks are, how much damage each attack does, how long that power takes to execute, how many Procs you can fit into each power, what the absolute "best" slotting is, etc etc. Your toon will never be as "good" as mine.

And when the day comes that I, too, pass on, I hope that my fellow Heroes in game will /em torch , and tell stories/remember the advice/builds I've attempted to give (mainly in the Tanker forums), and perhaps say "He was a good man". And continue to fight the good fight.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

- X

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Xandyr said:

Hey all.

So, looking around this forum, and the other ATs", I see a recurring theme...people coming on here and asking the same question. 

" What is THE BEST sets?"

While at one point in time, I, too, wanted to only play THE BEST. The most damaging, the most OP'd, the most UBER, etc etc.

And then came along MY best.

Willpower/ Staff

Yes, you read that right. MY best is my WP/Staff tank.

🤔🤨

Oh, you're still reading? Great. I'm sure you're wondering why on God's green earth do I believe that WP/Staff is the best. Well, it's not. BUT to me, it's MY best.

See....I can picture myself as this character. Practically all natural. I can see myself AS this toon. Especially once you understand his Bio...

My toon's name is Rastus. As a kid, my dad would call me that. Unfortunately, I lost my Dad back in 2014 to cancer. I lost my Mom in 2019 (she had/beat cancer, but it was her heart that gave out). And here's where my character's bio develops. 

Brian "Rastus" Fury watched as his parents were slowly succumbing to cancer while he was in his prime. He volunteered to be a guinea pig for Dr. Vaz,who promised his experimental drugs could help.  These drugs were meant to boost one person's immune system to the point that a blood transfusion from the subject could seek out and destroy cancerous cells in another. The side effect was that Brian's body was able to regenerate so quickly at the molecular level, that wounds were almost healed instantly. Brian KNEW he could save his parents!  However ,Dr. Vaz couldn't keep an IV in Brian long enough before his cells repaired themselves. Unfortunately, Brian's parents ended up losing their battle because of this. Although he couldn't save his parents, he knew he could save others. Brian is now a hero for those that can't fight for themselves, even as he fights his own personal demons and deals with his loss.

There ya go. THAT is what makes MY WP/Staff Tank MY BEST. It's personal. An extension of me.

So, go ahead and calculate, to the .0001 how fast your attacks are, how much damage each attack does, how long that power takes to execute, how many Procs you can fit into each power, what the absolute "best" slotting is, etc etc. Your toon will never be as "good" as mine.

And when the day comes that I, too, pass on, I hope that my fellow Heroes in game will /em torch , and tell stories/remember the advice/builds I've attempted to give (mainly in the Tanker forums), and perhaps say "He was a good man". And continue to fight the good fight.

Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

- X

Hear hear Xandyr! I love to hear this, and you’ve inspired me. I’m still searching my my “best”, although I’m pretty sure it’ll probably be a Scrapper or a Sentinel I am currently working on. Concept wise, I’ve also loved Peacebringers and their flexibility.

Edited by StriderIV

On 12/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, Xandyr said:

I really like that story. Having lost my dad this year, I feel ya. It’s weird to walk in a world where your parents aren’t around any more.

Although I don’t play her as much due to having hundreds of alts, my level 50 Beast/Dark MM is probably filling a similar role for me. I’ve been involved with animal rescue for 41 years, so I didn’t really take to it right away because they cry when they die, but once I decided the various animals were the perfect spirit incarnations of the breed, it became immediately palatable. You can’t kill a ghost, only temporarily disrupt their ectoplasmic essence. So I get to have my cake and eat it, too.

For anyone who feels the same way, I highly recommend the book Elatsoe, which features ghost animals, and in one scene uses them spectacularly to nail a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good stuff! However...my Basic Bob (all natural SS/WP tanker) is as basic as they come - he just works, so he is the best! All in black spandex, about my age (late 50s), receding i.e. no hair left. But he's tough and don't take no shit from anyone! Even has a big, fat 'B' on his chest, a permanent smile on his face that either belies, or perfectly captures his intellect! 😄 Also, 'B' is for BEST! 😜

screenshot_221220-20-50-37.jpg.bc2e5ab39d98015fa9e271316bf6d876.jpg

Edited by Nostromo21
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Game over man, game over!

• 1 month later
  • 5 weeks later

My wife and I both have characters that are "us" in-game. 

I'm a Willpower/Dark Melee tank. He's an extension of my "me" character from live whose backstory was he ordered a replica broadsword from ebay and ended up receiving a demonically possessed one instead (BS/DA scrapper). He wielded the sword for so long he absorbed some of it's dark energy and learned to use it. 

My wife is a Beast/Kinetic Mastermind. She's a licensed veterinary technician by profession, and we have a concerning number of pets. 

So I keep the baddies away from her while her and our small army of pets tear them apart. 

I'm strongly considering doing another "me" with Street Justice because it's pretty representative of how I actually used to fight on the rare occasions I had to in my youth (minus the big roundhouse kick, I was never that coordinated). 

Edit: 

After thinking about it a little more I think I will make my next tank a tribute to my dad,  who I also lost to cancer almost exactly 5 years ago. I'm not sure exactly what the build will be, but I know exactly what his costume will look like already. 

Edited by ClawsandEffect
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/20/2023 at 2:22 AM, smnolimits43 said:

I'm tempted to make a character that based on me.  I love animals, so obviously Beasts, but i'm not sure on a secondary.  Perhaps empathy, but i'm not a doctor in RL.  Although i've been thinking of going back to school, maybe become a shrink.

• 2 weeks later