System freezing when claiming character items, now saying to wait to open new super pack

WindDemon21

On 1/11/2023 at 8:11 AM, WindDemon21 said:

If we could just choose how many to open of this and character items, then let the system take as long as it needs, waiting the hour for them to be claimed isn't the issue, it's the clicking for an hour straight timing the clicks every 3 seconds and getting carpal tunnel that's the issue.

When the packs came out, I'm sure it was not the intent for players to be able to buy mass numbers of packs and turn around and sell large number of items from those packs on the market.

The character items system is built into the email system. It seems to work on some of the same mechanics that the email system does.

If what your suggesting is possible and it isn't too complicated to do, sure - why not?

From own standpoint, automating the rapid retrieval of card pack items for market sales should be low on the DEVs priority list.

The system functions.

Would you rather have this than another powers set, cool costume parts, base items, power balancing, or new missions/task forces/etc.?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

29 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

When the packs came out, I'm sure it was not the intent for players to be able to buy mass numbers of packs and turn around and sell large number of items from those packs on the market.

The character items system is built into the email system. It seems to work on some of the same mechanics that the email system does.

If what your suggesting is possible and it isn't too complicated to do, sure - why not?

From own standpoint, automating the rapid retrieval of card pack items for market sales should be low on the DEVs priority list.

The system functions.

Would you rather have this than another powers set, cool costume parts, base items, power balancing, or new missions/task forces/etc.?

Versus new costume parts and base items? Definitely.

Versus mew missions and task forces? Personally yes but I feel equal.

Versus power balancing? If that means fixing powers that are underperforming if they actually do it properly yes.

Versus things like fixing Pendulum to have the proper end/rech values? No

Versus spending all that time just to nerf defenses to one type only changing the way the game has worked since the beginning in a completely unneeded change? 100% absolutely yes.

Ie, its still on the list and where on thar list is malleable. Super Packs alone? It's more tolerable than trying to claim character items but apparently it's all the same thing.

They are also different departments i hear anyway. So fixing this, doesnt mean we dont get those other things per update.

53 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

I've already made my points on this thread.

There don't seem to be many people that interested in discussing this.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 2 weeks later
  • City Council
On 1/10/2023 at 7:37 PM, Tenebrose said:

If only they could find a SQL engineer with decades of experience in working with large databases, massive throughput, and (as a bonus) been with the CoH game since Day 1 of live. Where could they ever find such a person? (a-hem)

The big issue here, is this game was created by people who hate SQL. 

There is audio that goes along with this, but I can't find it.  https://archive.org/details/GDC2008Posniewski This is the audio that goes along with this, I'm not 100% sure why there are huge chunks of total silence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later
On 1/24/2023 at 1:27 AM, Michiyo said:

The big issue here, is this game was created by people who hate SQL. 

Obviously they hated SQL because they didn't know how to use SQL.

"Inserts are SLOW"

"Per row overhead is high on updates"

"This was Bad" & "This was Good"

But "CrypticDB" was a good laugh. You can always tell when a developer has no DB management background. They always want to relegate it to a secondary concern over what they know.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, Tenebrose said:

I didn't know that was still an active "thing". It looks more like a zombie thread. I expressed my interest in helping out on this specific issue directly to the engineer working on it last year. Felt a little more useful than adding my name to a thread that's been posted to literally once a year for the last 2 years, especially since I was only offering to help for this one issue at the time and not applying for a "development" role.

Sounds to me like you should again offer your services. 

On 1/11/2023 at 8:11 AM, WindDemon21 said:

I'll say it again though. The real issue is having to click so many times and now timing it etc.

If we could just choose how many to open of this and character items, then let the system take as long as it needs, waiting the hour for them to be claimed isn't the issue, it's the clicking for an hour straight timing the clicks every 3 seconds and getting carpal tunnel that's the issue.

If we could also get an option to not show the card flips too that would be nice especially if this option became available so you could actually play while they open.

You could create something like an AutoHotKey script that will press the button at whatever frequency you choose. It's not going to make the process go any faster, but at least you won't have to do it by hand.