Staff/Bio

Crossie

So I am actually quite enjoying this.  Couple of questions.  Is sky splitter even worth it?  It has such a long cast time.  I find myself seldom clicking it.

Secondly, does anybody have any build suggestions or templates I can use?  

• Like 1

Sky splitter does buff you with 3 combo points. 10% resists with Form of the Body for example which will increase your survival. It is slow activation but the buff can make it worth it.

Staffs strength is not damage though. Some of the activation times could do with speeding up a little i think.

• Like 1

I played a lot of staff early on to my return to the game (and before I understood a lot of the mechanics that had changed since I left Live).  Sky splitter is kind of an annoying attack, and from an enjoyment perspective, you can certainly skip it and do just fine.  But as G says above that 10% resist all from form of the body can be awfully useful at times.

Also, something I've realized is that in the past I've put the Critical Strikes ATO proc in Eye of the Storm, and I've realized that even though it triggers a lot there, there is not enough time on the ticker to get some of the powers off in time.  Like you can't get off a Sky Splitter after a EotS.  So I'm thinking about Crit Strikes in either Sky Splitter or Guarded Strike.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

7 hours ago, Crossie said:

What is the highest % chance to crit scrappers can get up to?

66% in ordinary powers.  10% base, 6% from ATO1, 50% from ATO2.

There are some powers that have 15% base chance to crit, so they can get to 71%.

I guess that /Ninjutsu scrappers can get +65% chance to crit from "hide." So looking at that instead of ATO2, you could get to 71% for ordinary powers or 76% for high-crit powers.  If someone you could get both the ATO2 and the pseudo-hide to happen at the same time, you could get 100% chance to crit, but I don't think that's possible.

Edited by aethereal

I love Sky Splitter for the resistance buff. The lengthy animation also becomes a strength when it comes to chance for procs to go off. So it's a good candidate for the Critical Strikes ATO.

Edit: so that's funny, Yoko's "like" made me look at his reply again and now I wonder. Is my belief actually correct?

City of Data says Sky Splitter has only 1.1s of animation before the effect take place. That would include the ATO proc, right?

Which would make it not so good... Wasting almost 2 seconds of that short window on Sky Splitter's animation.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I love Sky Splitter for the resistance buff. The lengthy animation also becomes a strength when it comes to chance for procs to go off. So it's a good candidate for the Critical Strikes ATO.

Edit: so that's funny, Yoko's "like" made me look at his reply again and now I wonder. Is my belief actually correct?

City of Data says Sky Splitter has only 1.1s of animation before the effect take place. That would include the ATO proc, right?

Which would make it not so good... Wasting almost 2 seconds of that short window on Sky Splitter's animation.

Here is how I'm looking at it (all data from City of Data [all hail Uberguy] 😞

1436490058_Screenshot(25).thumb.png.23024ea6c44abb110cacace7adc7198b.png

A power that has the CS proc in it must be activated.  After the animation time before effect, the proc is checked to see if it activates.  If so, the 3.25 second timer starts, but unfortunately we have to wait out the remainder of Arcanatime before we can activate the next power.  That's what I'm calling Dead Time, and then Remaining Time is how much more time the CS proc is active.

So if we put the proc in Sky Splitter, if it activates there will be 1.314 seconds left on the timer.  That is enough to activate any other power and have it be affected by the increased proc rate (Serpent's Reach is pretty close, since it has 1.233 animation time before effect, and we only have 1.314 seconds, but that's enough.)  We can also see that if we want to get two powers off, we are out of luck.  Mercurial Blow is the shortest, and takes 1.188 seconds to fully run.  The quickest animation time before effect is Guarded Spin which is 0.2 seconds, and that puts us at 1.388 seconds, leaving us just a bit short.

I look at the last few columns for when I am fighting lots of mobs.  Eye of the Storm at 90% recharge rate only has a 33% chance to proc on any given target (I'm assuming 100% accuracy, which I know is not the case, but I'm concerned with relative levels rather than absolutes).  That means it has a 67% chance to NOT proc on any given target.  If I am working with an average of three hittable targets, it would have to NOT proc on all three targets to not activate, and that's a 30% chance (0.67^3) that all three will miss and a 70% chance that at least one will hit.

edit: those proc rates are assuming a generic 3.5 ppm.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

Thank you for the detailed breakdown!

This is an interesting problem. From these numbers, it would seem as if a 0% recharge Serpent Reach could be the best bet, for a ST focused character. Following up a Serpent proc going off with a Precise Strike and a Sky Splitter.

Does your 0% recharge column account for the recharge aspect of the proc enhancement? In any case, I assume this wouldn't change the dynamic much.

16 minutes ago, nihilii said:

Does your 0% recharge column account for the recharge aspect of the proc enhancement? In any case, I assume this wouldn't change the dynamic much.

No, that's just a generic PPM calculation for a 3.5 proc in that power, and I put it in there mainly to get a rough idea.  The standard CS proc is 2ppm and the superior is 4ppm, and of course there is some recharge build into the IO itself.

What I was doing wrong on this alt (and this is from years ago!) was putting CS in Eye of the Storm.  My rationale was that it would be very likely to activate in combat, and that part was true.  However, we can see that because of that really short time before activation, there's a lot of dead time, and not enough time left in the proc to affect the critical chances of Sky Splitter or Serpent's Reach.  Which was a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

No, that's just a generic PPM calculation for a 3.5 proc in that power, and I put it in there mainly to get a rough idea.  The standard CS proc is 2ppm and the superior is 4ppm, and of course there is some recharge build into the IO itself.

...wha?

I just looked at CoD (https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=boosts.superior_attuned_superior_critical_strikes_f.superior_attuned_superior_critical_strikes_f), and you're right that it's 4PPM.  It's stated to be 3PPM in the description of the enhancement, and it, uh, frankly seems like a bug for it to be 4PPM.

• 3 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later