Thanks, GMs!

Luminara

45 minutes ago, Luminara said:

What really bends the mind is that people fall for it despite how obvious it is.  I've never seen spam, phishing attacks or anything similar that wasn't rife with bad spelling and atrocious grammar.  How stupid does someone have to be to read, "I am for want to sand you grate binavalins of moneys but a guvorn mint is hold my moneys and you most halp me for reeleese it", or "You're a count is suspanded and you half to reset it by going to this sight", or "WE FOUND MANLY HOT MILFS NEER YOU, CLACK HEAR", and actually consider it even remotely possible that it could be on the level?

Fucking pathetic.

About once a week I get spam to the tune of "Your Facebook has been hacked!" or "You are about to delete all your contacts on such-and-such site!"

When I have never had a Facebook account or anything of the sort. I generally avoid social media. But I still get their emails citing the contrary. Honestly its kind of funny.

1 minute ago, Neiska said:

About once a week I get spam to the tune of "Your Facebook has been hacked!" or "You are about to delete all your contacts on such-and-such site!"

Or the periodic emails purporting to be from banks I've never done business with advising me of urgent problems with my account, and to click here to log in and correct them. Ignoring the red flag that they rarely have my actual email address in the To: header (how anyone can believe that an email with 'undisclosed-recipients' in the address field is addressed to them specifically is beyond me), they typically rely on overlookable spelling changes, like the sender's address of "[email protected]" in the phishing attempt I received yesterday, to make the email appear legitimate.

2 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Or the periodic emails purporting to be from banks I've never done business with advising me of urgent problems with my account, and to click here to log in and correct them. Ignoring the red flag that they rarely have my actual email address in the To: header (how anyone can believe that an email with 'undisclosed-recipients' in the address field is addressed to them specifically is beyond me), they typically rely on overlookable spelling changes, like the sender's address of "[email protected]" in the phishing attempt I received yesterday, to make the email appear legitimate.

I get those too, sometimes there is an error in the HTML and it says I sent it to myself. I get emails from banks and other organizations I have never done business with. And since tax season is around the corner I am already anticipating waves of claims from fake IRS agents.

4 hours ago, Neiska said:

I am beginning to wonder how profitable they believe this is. There are certainly better ways to make money. But it must work at least sometimes or else they wouldn't keep doing it, similar to those telephone scammers.

The direct costs per spam message are essentially zero, and once the script is tuned and running it's essentially passive income.  That's why they do it.

Those telephone scammers...  Always be nice to those people, they're people sitting in a boiler room because they're desperate for a job, any job that keeps the wolf from the door for just one more day.  (If you're ever in that position, you'll find things like self respect and moral scruples are very expensive luxuries.  You don't wanna know how I know that.)

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

32 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Those telephone scammers...  Always be nice to those people, they're people sitting in a boiler room because they're desperate for a job, any job that keeps the wolf from the door for just one more day.  (If you're ever in that position, you'll find things like self respect and moral scruples are very expensive luxuries.  You don't wanna know how I know that.)

My reaction to telemarketers really depends on their manner. If I decline whatever it is they are selling, hang up, and leave me alone then fine. But most often they keep talking on their script often for several minutes regardless of what I say, in a manner that could be considered borderline harassment. So my manners to them, really depends on them. I know they have to call hundreds of people a day, but if they press on after a "I am not interested, no thank you, please do not call again" then that's really on them. So it really depends on them, at least for myself personally. And not to start a discussion about it, but very often if you hang up or ask not to be contacted again they just call back the same day or a few days later.  

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

My mother got me a job doing that when I was 18.  I lasted two days.  They fired me for being too nice.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.