New HC SubReddit

Scutt

I expect the usual trolls and hate-filled individuals that aren't even on HC to infest that too.

I pretty much avoid Reddit's COH stuff because of them.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I'm just gonna say that your Reddit experience depends heavily on what subs you follow...  Plenty of subs free of trolls and malware.

That being said, given the utter lack of effort on the part of r/CoHHomecoming's single mod, I don't expect great things.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

While yes, in general the reddit experience is, to say the least, exhausting, It's great a specific sub is around just in case, trying to discuss Homecoming at large on the other sub is putting a target on your head, and some people do not use Discord or the forums.

• Thanks 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

3 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I'm just gonna say that your Reddit experience depends heavily on what subs you follow...  Plenty of subs free of trolls and malware.

That being said, given the utter lack of effort on the part of r/CoHHomecoming's single mod, I don't expect great things.

>Opens a dinky HC centric subreddit several days ago updated with patch notes and the like, as well as links to HC, and a simple rule set, banner and even custom redrawn avatar remake of the CoH logo I made myself.
>NOEFFORT

but seriously, nah I've been reaching out looking for other moderative assistance with the page as I dont have a ton of experience with Reddit specifically.
Not sure what else is expected but at least folks are trying right? I'm suuuper new to Reddit, so I'm honestly just trying my best here.

Honestly, I just wanted a place for us to be able to advert our guilds and discuss club events outside of discord or the forums, in a space that's clearly untapped by HC, whilst a ton of other CoHers frequent around, because I've run into tons of folks in game who just outright don't use discord or the forums and have seen the current COH Reddit admins eat folks alive or outright remove/delete posts related to Homecoming. This community needs less fractures.

Also in regards to the malware comment, that's not just reddit, that's the entire internet.
(See: Gshade)

Not everything new is scary and evil. ❤️

This community deserves cool things, and I'm just doing what I can to make cool things for it as I'm disabled, and can't do much outdoors because of it.

Edited by Lady Victory - The Watch
  • Like 8
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/9/2023 at 11:20 AM, Greycat said:

I expect the usual trolls and hate-filled individuals that aren't even on HC to infest that too.

I have found people of the CoH subreddit to be pretty chill most of the time. I have been popping in there for many months now and VERY rarely do I see anything off-putting

Edited by Scutt
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RaeD8 said:

I have found people of the CoH subreddit to be pretty chill most of the time. I have been popping in there for many months now and EVRY rarely do I see anything off-putting

It has chilled quite a bit lately, back then it was just conspiracy nonsense about HC all day long, still, whenever a difference in views pertaining servers pops out, if you express anything favorable towards HC, the trolls hiding jump on you, and there is a chance one of the biased mods simply erases your stuff. Used to be quite involved there but got feed up and just watch stuff now and then, like Beyonda's amazing Stories from the Zones that collect heroes backstories and their costumes.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Lady Victory - The Watch said:
Honestly, I just wanted a place for us to be able to advert our guilds and discuss club events outside of discord or the forums, in a space that's clearly untapped by HC, whilst a ton of other CoHers frequent around, because I've run into tons of folks in game who just outright don't use discord or the forums and have seen the current COH Reddit admins eat folks alive or outright remove/delete posts related to Homecoming. This community needs less fractures.

Also in regards to the malware comment, that's not just reddit, that's the entire internet.
(See: Gshade)

Not everything new is scary and evil. ❤️

This community deserves cool things, and I'm just doing what I can to make cool things for it as I'm disabled, and can't do much outdoors because of it.

Besides you running it and it being somewhere else…. How is it different/more better than using these forums???

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Albion said:

It has chilled quite a bit lately, back then it was just conspiracy nonsense about HC all day long, still, whenever a difference in views pertaining servers pops out, if you express anything favorable towards HC, the trolls hiding jump on you, and there is a chance one of the biased mods simply erases your stuff. Used to be quite involved there but got feed up and just watch stuff now and then, like Beyonda's amazing Stories from the Zones that collect heroes backstories and their costumes.

*Bows** It makes me quite happy that people enjoy my story posts. It's the least I can do for a community I enjoy this much. I am just glad I seemed to have missed most of the drama on that Reddit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Besides you running it and it being somewhere else…. How is it different/more better than using these forums???

I tend to use the Reddit a good bit - *mostly* only using the forums, and sometimes Discord, when I need nuanced info. It's a simpler way to get my basic CoH fix w/o having to scroll through a ton of content. It's a time thing as well...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Scutt said:

*Bows** It makes me quite happy that people enjoy my story posts. It's the least I can do for a community I enjoy this much. I am just glad I seemed to have missed most of the drama on that Reddit.

Just now realized it was you because of the pic!

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Snarky said:

To be fair, the forums are your personal lair, not sure everyone can handle you :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Because not everyone uses or even knows about the forums.
Sticking solely to the forums if you're interested in bringing more people into the game is just not likely.

The fact is that in 2023, people are going to be split between the forums and the reddit. Some people find the reddit as easier to digest, given it's incredibly simplistic format in comparison to the multi-channel and forum board section lists commonly found elsewhere.

The point is that the Reddit scene is incredibly active, why not is the better question, I'd propose.

19 minutes ago, Scutt said:

I have found people of the CoH subreddit to be pretty chill most of the time. I have been popping in there for many months now and EVRY rarely do I see anything off-putting

They've recently stopped allowing people to post links or invites to their HC Guilds, and have begun autoremoving anything directly relative to in-game events and such in regards to HC. Moreover they intentionally do not have a homecoming dev, and from my convos, they just outright don't get along with HC as it stands at all, despite having the "homecoming" name in their banner.

It seems very likely that the Reddit mods of the main CoH discord, who are ONLY from other servers, have been working diligently to can Homecoming relative posts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Lady Victory - The Watch said:

but seriously, nah I've been reaching out looking for other moderative assistance with the page as I dont have a ton of experience with Reddit specifically.
Not sure what else is expected but at least folks are trying right? I'm suuuper new to Reddit, so I'm honestly just trying my best here.

The big thing you need to do is post something daily to grab attention and generate discussion...  a screenie, an npc quote, a link to somebody's YouTube video.  Something, anything.  More than anything else, subs need timely content to attract attention and  yet more content.

1 minute ago, Lady Victory - The Watch said:

It seems very likely that the Reddit mods of the main CoH discord, who are ONLY from other servers, have been working diligently to can Homecoming relative posts.

Yeah.  "Officially" their position is neutral, de facto they are hostile to Homecoming.  It's a lot better than it was a year or two ago, but it's still not a pleasant place to be around.  Lotta refugees from the SCORE era there who still carry a grudge.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

4 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

The big thing you need to do is post something daily to grab attention and generate discussion...  a screenie, an npc quote, a link to somebody's YouTube video.  Something, anything.  More than anything else, subs need timely content to attract attention and  yet more content.

Yeah.  "Officially" their position is neutral, de facto they are hostile to Homecoming.  It's a lot better than it was a year or two ago, but it's still not a pleasant place to be around.  Lotta refugees from the SCORE era there who still carry a grudge.

Oh for sure, I just haven't had the time to post daily honestly. That's why I'd like other mods. Presently I run two heavy RP focused SGs in game that have weekly meetings and tons of content to generate and keep up with. (I'm also going through a massive life-shaking IRL sitch, so time is very sparse rn.)

The first person I actually mentioned the Reddit to was a CR, and I've been looking for more dedicated people to work on the actual Reddit format.
I only ended up making the Reddit because I personally had several posts removed for simply trying to coordinate in-game stuff with Homecoming over on r/CityofHeroes.

Homecoming cannot thrive or really even exist in the present CoH Reddit page, erego, we needed a space for the large number of folks active moreso there than here or discord that frequent homecoming, or even potentially garner interest for new attendees and members to our server.

So far I've brought about 12 people into the game, that've ended up joining one of my SGs, and we've only been live on the reddit for about a week.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lady Victory - The Watch said:

They've recently stopped allowing people to post links or invites to their HC Guilds, and have begun autoremoving anything directly relative to in-game events and such in regards to HC. Moreover they intentionally do not have a homecoming dev, and from my convos, they just outright don't get along with HC as it stands at all, despite having the "homecoming" name in their banner.

I got shadowbanned once cause mods kept reporting me to admins just for pointing out the "no inter server drama" rules to the crazy "Leo is evil" crowd, fun times.
Though for some it may seem redundant, the sub you made is a good thing, it was a necessary niche, thanks and keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Albion said:

I got shadowbanned once cause mods kept reporting me to admins just for pointing out the "no inter server drama" rules to the crazy "Leo is evil" crowd, fun times.
Though for some it may seem redundant, the sub you made is a good thing, it was a necessary niche, thanks and keep it up!

Thank you so so much, and I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

It's wild to me that they'd rather lord over an echo chamber reddit format than actually engage at any sort of communally healthy level with one another.

It feels like highschool all over again, aren't we all a little old for it anyway? Lol

Thank you for saying so, It's my main focus to ensure that the spaces I set up and moderate are open, fun, light hearted, engaging, and genuinely communal.
I have a bit of marketing and community management background with Bethesda, so I at least have foot in the door on where to go, what to do, and how to do it, but the main inspiration I have is all of you in game.

Despite weird occasional issues with interpersonal drama flung at me (We are in an MMO after all) that I've done my best to avoid and dodge, this community has been beautiful and lovely, it deserves to thrive in every possible space that it can.

5 hours ago, Greycat said:

Also in regards to this repeat worry, the difference is...

I'll actually ban people.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Scutt said:

I tend to use the Reddit a good bit - *mostly* only using the forums, and sometimes Discord, when I need nuanced info. It's a simpler way to get my basic CoH fix w/o having to scroll through a ton of content. It's a time thing as well...

So….it is better because it is not here and you like it better.  Fair enough i guess.  

Goodbye! Goodbye 👋 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

So….it is better because it is not here and you like it better.  Fair enough i guess.  

Goodbye! Goodbye 👋 

No need to be personally insulted that people like other things ❤️
Let's not throw shade or flame others for having other interests on ways they engage with the community.
What matters as a whole is that they are, shaming others for having alternative ways to engage does not a community make.

At the end of the day, we're all sharing the space that is homecoming, it doesn't matter what metephorical table we choose to eat our lunch at, it's one large cafeteria within the umbrella of Homecoming as a communal entity.

Desptie the age of this game, the internet has evolved outside of it. It is no longer 2001.
Gone are the days where forums were the only engagement for something like an MMO.
The forums are fantastic, and some of us, myself included, still prefer the format of a Forum.

However, this does not mean everyone here has to think or do things the exact same way, nor does my personal preference of the forums dictate that others shouldn't engage with our community through other means such as reddit. To say "goodbye" is a bit disingenuous, as they're not going anywhere. They'd explicitly stated that they use the forums on occasion, and prefer the format of Reddit.
Opinions and Preferences are just that, opinions and preferences.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would say: everyone on the CoH Reddit from Rebirth that I’ve talked with has always been very fair, kind and chatty. But then I haven’t always talked with others. I think most of the animosity feels like it’s died down a little? There’s are obviously those who are dramatic and reactive, but it’s up to those calmer people to reply with facts etc (I.E. perceptions of things that feel like nerfs).

There are always gonna be d*ckheads. Hell, even the Pokémon subreddit is toxic as anything, just up to you who you talk with!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

1 minute ago, Xiddo said:

I would say: everyone on the CoH Reddit from Rebirth that I’ve talked with has always been very fair, kind and chatty. But then I haven’t always talked with others. I think most of the animosity feels like it’s died down a little? There’s are obviously those who are dramatic and reactive, but it’s up to those calmer people to reply with facts etc (I.E. perceptions of things that feel like nerfs).

There are always gonna be d*ckheads. Hell, even the Pokémon subreddit is toxic as anything, just up to you who you talk with!

Totes fair, I think Beyonda is just speaking in regards to them mentioning that the HC discord exists, and the admins sort of throwing a giant tantrum about it, and accusing them of being "rude" and "stealing members away."

I also have noted that on the "official" CoH reddit, you can't actually post links to anything related to Homecoming. You cannot link other reddits, discords, or even forums. I've also personally had posts advertising in-game events taking place on Everlasting, like the Christmas Bash I threw that were instantly removed by admins for containing "bad words", as well as guild adverts for the same reason.

None of the afformentioned stuff had so much as a close-to-curse in the message, and I've seen other posts for similiar for other servers, yet was told directly by staff that it breaks Rediquette to basically even link to or try to get people to engage with Homecoming, as the admin team sees it as "poaching members", which tbh is entirely ridiculous if the people the posts are marketed towards are already in homecoming.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sort of related: for those who use Facebook there is a fairly large group where people quite often post “how are you playing this now?!”. It’s fair and people share builds and screenshots, it’s supportive and friendly. You might say “why not just come to the forums?”, well there are a fair few people who use FB significantly more regularly!

Edited by Xiddo
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png