Allies and Bosses.

d4verman

there's a lot about the MA I don' know, but I'm trying to figure stuff out. that being said, I have more questions to ask of those who know more than I.

Is there a way to put an ally or a boss fight on a map without NPCs around them? If I want to put an ally in a story it seems like they have to be "captured" first. Is it possible to have them "meet you at the door" or is that just not something that can be done? 

The same goes for boss fights. I wanted to throw in a boss fight with a villain that just shows up for revenge. (not the main villain in the story). 

Set the map enemy to “empty.” Guarding group set to “single” (though it will probably be empty anyway). Place them at front. Ally text will pop on entry and obj will be completed. However rescue text shouldn’t render til you approach them. 

Since mish is empty, you’ll need to populate with patrols, bosses, destroy object groups, etc.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

What cranebump said, plus it can be good say something in the mission pop up to direct them. “Fred bolted into the first room. Why does he always charge ahead?” Or some such conceit. 

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

On 3/12/2023 at 3:22 PM, Ankylosaur said:

What cranebump said, plus it can be good say something in the mission pop up to direct them. “Fred bolted into the first room. Why does he always charge ahead?” Or some such conceit. 

For sure. End up doing this ALL the time. So and so sprints ahead. Or Bob has arrived before you or Your team enters through varying points of ingress. And then you have situations where the boss has "TP's out," not not really. You end up having to put in text like "Emergency Teleport! Get me out of here" (boss dies, clue [or complete text] pops: "Unfortunately, Raging Cobra Butt teleports back to his Butt Copter. You'll have to kick his...agenda another time...")

It's REALLY annoying, but you get used to it.

And I second @huang3721's reminder about changing default animation. Always sucks to go into test mode and think, "Here we GO, and,....aahhhhhhhh sh*t. They're kneeling with their hands on their head, while saying You'll NEVER beat me!...(sigh)."

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

@Darmian has this crazy mission where the last thing you do is meet one of your allies and you need to lead him to the exit.  So he goes through and says something like "I'll scout ahead, see you inside", and then you take the next mission and he's already ahead of you.  I liked that a lot, though it kinda can't be used all the time.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TerroirNoir2 said:

@Darmian has this crazy mission where the last thing you do is meet one of your allies and you need to lead him to the exit.  So he goes through and says something like "I'll scout ahead, see you inside", and then you take the next mission and he's already ahead of you.  I liked that a lot, though it kinda can't be used all the time.

That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check it out. 

I get a little frustrated with the limitations of the MA but then I have to remind myself how old it really is. And to my recollection it's the first Player Mission Builder in an MMO. (if I'm wrong, let me know) . Nort that I think these games are good, but I only played Neverwinter and Star Trek Online because of the ability to build missions. Once they took those out...well, I haven't really played either of those games that much since. And Neverwinter had an excellent MA. You could move items in 3D on an axis and have dialogue in mission with characters. 

IMO Champions Online really missed the mark by not building one in their game. They already lack a diversity of missions so having players make their own to share would only make the game more expansive. I guess without Homecoming the only hope is if City of Titans has an MA if it EVER gets done. At this point I'm thinking I'll be too old to care by the time they release that game, if ever. (and I'm already old...like AARP old). 

Sorry for the rant. It's late and us old people get grumpy when we're tired. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, TerroirNoir2 said:

I've been reviewing their stuff, and it's like one of the ones in an arc near the end of a long line of arcs, so it'd be tricky to find.  @Darmian? bit of assistance here?

That would be in Darkest Before Dawn Part 2.  So the 8th arc in a set of 9.

• Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )