Rumor: Corruptor Base Damage > Blaster?

Sailboat

Someone on Reddit asserts that Corruptors have higher base damage than Blasters in  testing: 

Can anyone confirm this?  If so, is it just on the test server (Justin) or elsewhere?

Obviously it shouldn't be higher than Blaster damage.

No, the guy is wrong. Basically what he's doing is looking at the "total damage" number listed on the power in the game. However, this number assumes that Scourge (which doubles the base damage) has activated. So a Corruptor will do more damage than a Blaster when he scourges but that only has a chance to happen when the target is below half health. The base damage for the Corruptor is lower than the Blaster.

The exact effect of Scourge is hard to calculate, if I recall correctly it was something like a 20%-30% increase overall.

Defender Smash!

The exact effect of Scourge is hard to calculate, if I recall correctly it was something like a 20%-30% increase overall.

I was just reading about this on the Titan Network, it's about 30%.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

No, the guy is wrong. Basically what he's doing is looking at the "total damage" number listed on the power in the game.

No, that's not what he's doing at all.  He's blasting custom mobs in an AE map to see how much damage they take, and writing down the numbers without Scourge.  Seems to be an unintended change on the beta shard.

No, the guy is wrong. Basically what he's doing is looking at the "total damage" number listed on the power in the game.

No, that's not what he's doing at all.  He's blasting custom mobs in an AE map to see how much damage they take, and writing down the numbers without Scourge.  Seems to be an unintended change on the beta shard.

Well if that's the case then I believe that the honorable gentleman is mistaken.

I logged onto the test server rolled up a level 1 corruptor and tested the damage I was dealing both in the open world and in AE. In both cases the damage I dealt was what I would expect from a Corruptor. I used Beam Rifle and dealt 9.49 damage per shot which is indeed half of the total damage listed in the power display window.

SO yes, this is a display issue, and I believe it's one that was around on live as well.

Defender Smash!

A corruptors will only do consistently more dmg than a blaster at around 25% mob health. The problem is, that very few things in the game have enough health for this to really help us. Outside of AVs and GMs the thing will die too quickly for scourge to be of much help and we often will do far more dmg than is needed to kill a mob because of scourge.

I tested this on Justin and Torchbearer at lvl 50 without enhancements. The guy must be mistaken.

Glad to hear it's apparently something wrong with his testing methodology and not the beta code.  I'm all for rolling overpowered characters, but a Corr should not be straight up out-damaging a Blaster with primary alone.

A corruptors will only do consistently more dmg than a blaster at around 25% mob health. The problem is, that very things in the game have enough health for this to really help us. Outside of AVs and GMs the thing will die too quickly for scourge to be of much help and we often will do far more dmg than is needed to kill a mob because of scourge.

IDK about you but I love throwing up an AoE and seeing "SCOURGE" show up all over my screen

• Like 1