BuiltDifferent5

I missed the train on this series when it came out. I’m not watching it with my oldest son and we’re absolutely loving it.

I thought this would be fun: for those who have seen it, how would you build an Avatar that can bend multiple elements? I know it’s hard to get all 4 (Air, Fire, Water and Earth), but it’s a pretty cool exercise! Some I was thinking of:

Fire/Kinetic Melee Tanker: Fire Armor fits for one obviously. KM is the set I feel is closest to “air bending.” Maybe go with Earth Mastery as well.

Stone/KM Tanker: Same as above, but you would just sub in for the Fire Epic Master Pool

Thermal paired with Water or Seismic Blast Defender: I feel this works in a couple of elements! Either blast set could work. Water KIND of works for Water and Air.

Earth/Fire Dom: Could go this combo or the reverse.

What are your thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

• Thumbs Up 1

The closest I can think of is a water/stone/fire Sentinel, and pretend my travel pool (jump/speed/fly) was air-powered.  If you allow ice to substitute for water, it opens up something for just about every AT.  Earth/storm/fire/air travel controller is actually something I've played before, and was quite fun.  Bonus for using Sorcery's Enflame on Rocky.

• Like 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Here's how to have all four base elements...

• Defender or Corruptor - Storm Summoning/Seismic Blast with Flame Mastery 
  • Controller - Earth or Fire Control/Storm Summoning with either Fire Mastery or Stone Mastery.
  • Blaster - potentially Storm Blast/Earth Manipulation and Flame Mastery

Storm powersets have powers with both wind and water in them so that's a BOGO deal there. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Here's how to have all four base elements...

• Defender or Corruptor - Storm Summoning/Seismic Blast with Flame Mastery 
  • Controller - Earth or Fire Control/Storm Summoning with either Fire Mastery or Stone Mastery.
  • Blaster - potentially Storm Blast/Earth Manipulation and Flame Mastery

Storm powersets have powers with both wind and water in them so that's a BOGO deal there. 

BOGO 😂 So my only hesitation with the ranged sets is that they are lacking the "martial arts" feel. I GUESS I could just commit to one element, like Seismic or Water Blast, and pair with Martial Assault.

That being said, I guess once you achieved the "Avatar State", you wouldn't be doing as much melee fighting? haha

54 minutes ago, BuiltDifferent5 said:

BOGO 😂 So my only hesitation with the ranged sets is that they are lacking the "martial arts" feel. I GUESS I could just commit to one element, like Seismic or Water Blast, and pair with Martial Assault.

That being said, I guess once you achieved the "Avatar State", you wouldn't be doing as much melee fighting? haha

Okay I got you...

Fire/Storm/Stone Controller with Jump Kick from Leaping and Kick/Cross Punch from Fighting. Sure it's not a spinning crescent kick, or a jumping axe kick, but it would help your role play if you want to have martial arts abilities as well.

I think you might be on to something with Kinetic Melee. Maybe pair it up with Fire or Stone Armor and an epic pool for another element?

I could see Dominators being good as well as a mix or ranged and melee, although I’ve never built one myself.

16 hours ago, BuiltDifferent5 said:

how would you build an Avatar that can bend multiple elements?

Wait for storm blast to be released;  It encompasses air, ice, and lightning.  Then you can go with something like a storm blast/earth sentinel, then take the fire ancillary power pool, and you've pretty much covered all 4 elements....

You could pretty much accomplish the same with a blaster, defender, or corruptor.

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Wait for storm blast to be released;  It encompasses air, ice, and lightning.  Then you can go with something like a storm blast/earth sentinel, then take the fire ancillary power pool, and you've pretty much covered all 4 elements....

You could pretty much accomplish the same with a blaster, defender, or corruptor.

23 minutes ago, biostem said:

Alternatively, if you didn't want to wait, you could create a storm summoning/seismic blast (which is earth), defender, then take the flame mastery ancillary power pool, to get a similar effect...

Great options!!! The new Storm Blast might be the one.

The only thing I feel I'm missing is kind of the "hand to hand" combat feel, but Seismic Blast kind of has that with it's motions. Same with Water Blast as well. Could even make Water red and have it be Bloodbending.

3 minutes ago, BuiltDifferent5 said:

The only thing I feel I'm missing is kind of the "hand to hand" combat feel

Here's another idea:

Kinetic Melee/Stone Armor/Mu Mastery Scrapper

Kinetic Melee is very "flowie" and feels kind of like water or air, stone armor has a "watery" power via mud pots, a fire -like power via brimstone armor, then you get electricity via mu mastery, (though you could get more fire effects from blaze mastery or more water stuff via Leviathan mastery - you can get a water spout via the latter). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, biostem said:

Here's another idea:

Kinetic Melee/Stone Armor/Mu Mastery Scrapper

Kinetic Melee is very "flowie" and feels kind of like water or air, stone armor has a "watery" power via mud pots, a fire -like power via brimstone armor, then you get electricity via mu mastery, (though you could get more fire effects from blaze mastery or more water stuff via Leviathan mastery - you can get a water spout via the latter). 

This is a really interesting one. I'd just have to make the Stone Armor aesthetics work, but I think Aang uses the stone as barriers on himself several times in the show. Also, lightning bending is a part of fire bending, so it fits.

On a Tanker side, if I went that route, Stone/KM or Fire/KM would be better/more fitting?

1 minute ago, BuiltDifferent5 said:

On a Tanker side, if I went that route, Stone/KM or Fire/KM would be better/more fitting?

Well, tankers get granite instead of geode, which is a very good power, but you can't get the waterspout power from their version of leviathan mastery.  That being said, tanker earth mastery gets quicksand, which I rather like.  Their pyre mastery is rather good, though.  If you interpret kinetic melee as air & water, then the armor as earth/water/fire, then the ancillary/power pool to fill in where needed, you should be fine.  The question is simply how much imagination you want to employ with the character vs how much of the powers' effects are obviously one element or another...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, biostem said:

Well, tankers get granite instead of geode, which is a very good power, but you can't get the waterspout power from their version of leviathan mastery.  That being said, tanker earth mastery gets quicksand, which I rather like.  Their pyre mastery is rather good, though.  If you interpret kinetic melee as air & water, then the armor as earth/water/fire, then the ancillary/power pool to fill in where needed, you should be fine.  The question is simply how much imagination you want to employ with the character vs how much of the powers' effects are obviously one element or another...

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas Bio, thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's yet another idea:

Earth control, fire assault, leviathan dominator - earth control, besides its namesake powers, gets quicksand (water) and volcanic gasses (fire).  Fire assault obviously gets fire powers, and leviathan master gets water spout and bile spray, which both can also approximate water  and wind.  You also get a mix of ranged and melee attacks built into the secondary that way.  You can also take hibernate for more water/ice, and you get a thematic armor toggle if you wanted...

Another thought - sonic assault has various screams/screeches, which could be wind/air, and you still get the melee attacks...

Edited by biostem

On 4/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, StriderIV said:

I could see Dominators being good as well as a mix or ranged and melee, although I’ve never built one myself.

They really can be a good mix of ranged and melee, but in my semi-not-so-limited experience with them, it depends on the set - some get more scrappy than others, which can be a bit more blastery or perhaps controllery in turn.  You of course can put your thumb on that scale somewhat by power choices and slotting.  I really like Doms and would encourage you to look into them more, they're possibly my top ATs because I like being able to do a bit of everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝