Using Teleport as a Travel Power ???

smnolimits43

3 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

just feels a little slow.  I seem to be last into the mission.  and navigating inside missions, especially cave missions, can be a pain

my friend, let me introduce you to a macro that will change your life. i used to hate those cave maps too, but now they're my bread and butter.

/macro SEEK powexec_location target Teleport

this will teleport you to whoever you're targeting if they're in range. now every teammate is a convenient travel node. use the minimap to see who's where you want to go, select, and boom, you're there. it becomes its own minigame chaining from one teammate to another to get across the map. you really feel like an omnipresent god while your teammates are stuck obeying the laws of physics.

caves become your best maps to navigate because slowing everyone else down means they stay in your range for longer. for this to work best, you need to slot as much range in tp as you can -- two +5s will cover it handily -- but it'll work okay with just one plain io in it.

on my empathy defender this means i can zip around applying buffs and often heal a team split into two entirely separate rooms. i also take combat teleport for finer maneuvers, and that gets me to the "oh shit" button that is phase shift.

another useful toy is 

/macro NOPE "powexeclocation up:max Teleport"

that'll give you an instant "escape into the sky" button if things get dicey. it's actually super peaceful vanishing from a battle and just hanging in the sky for a sec. to get back down, use the SEEK macro on a teammate you just left. this is also my first teleport of any overland travel because it puts me at a high and unobstructed vantage point from which to pick my direction.

a similar concept but with short-range, insta-cast combat teleport  is

/macro BACK "powexeclocation back:max Combat Teleport"

that'll instantly pop you a full combat teleport straight backwards. great for kiting and getting out of melee after you buff, pbaoe, or whatever.

as for teleport being slow as a travel power, are you spamming the teleport again as soon as you appear in your new location? they recently backloaded teleport's animation so you can skip a lot of it just by teleporting again the instant you arrive, and for lower mana cost. this plus the range enhancements on teleport get me there so fast i end up teleport targeting half the team to hurry them along.

lastly, teleport's built-in float window is all you really need, but adding hover makes teleport a real luxury experience.

i hope any of this has been useful for you;  get comfortable with this stuff and you'll never use your directional keys again!

Edited by GigiGoodgame
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Tip for traveling via teleport, don't have autorun on so you hover a bit so you can chain teleports.

Also if you want a faster bind than your current "/bind lshift+lbutton, powexec_name Teleport", try "/bind shift+lbutton, powexec_location cursor Teleport"

My bind takes the extra click out of it and just teleports you to the maximum distance in the direction that your mouse cursor is aiming. That should significantly speed up your teleporting.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am mostly not a fan of Teleport.  I am grudgingly learning how to use it on my Tankers because there are situations where Teleport gets you out of being stuck to the floor or gets you through a blocked choke point.  But I am a long time Super Jump /  Combat Jump fanatic.  I am to the point where I can go where I want in combat almost just by thinking it.  My fingers do the right taps on spacebar and movement keys while I'm working the camera with the mouse.    I've tried getting used to Combat Teleport and while it is amazing if you can target enemies, just the time it takes to target the right enemy sometimes feels like a waste to me.  I could already be halfway there with Combat Jump.  Plus CJ takes defense IOs so it's kind of non-negotiable for many of my toons.

I will say though that Teleport in mission is sometimes cool on my tankers when it gets me precisely into the middle of a packed spawn that's 100yards away for a nice PBAoE stomping or something like that.

As a travel power, it's just okay.  Fast, to be sure, but again somewhat annoying to me as I near the destination.  If the door I want to land on is obscured, I have to teleport somewhere past it, turn around, and maybe teleport back.   Fine control is out the window.   You can teleport to a spot you pick accurately, but you can't easily teleport half the max distance forward without some additional keybinds.  With Jump or Fly that's just a matter of how long you keep a button held down.  Easy.

• 2 weeks later

My big issue with TP is the lack of hovertime because I am old and my reflexes are slow so it's hard for me to click the place I want to be before I plummet hundreds of feet to my death, my femure puncturing my lungs with the shocking impact of the landing.

Mystical flight is everything TP should have been

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!

void skiff + teleport

teleport is binded to my z key

press z brings up cursor, left click screen to fire it into a direction (wait for animation), repeat after port.

I only use teleport and void skiff on most characters.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nethod said:

void skiff + teleport

teleport is binded to my z key

press z brings up cursor, left click screen to fire it into a direction (wait for animation), repeat after port.

I only use teleport and void skiff on most characters.

yeah a big fan of the void skiff too but not TP...but this combo is interesting and will give your bind a try with it.

Bill3.jpg.f1ff7a242b7765691cf45caa5d829f5a.jpg

My DA page

—“too soon old, and too late smart.”  

6 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

My big issue with TP is the lack of hovertime because I am old and my reflexes are slow so it's hard for me to click the place I want to be before I plummet hundreds of feet to my death, my femure puncturing my lungs with the shocking impact of the landing.

Mystical flight is everything TP should have been

Sometime ago they increased the amount of hang time.  I used to think the same, now, I have ages to just aim myself to the next stop.  Only time I windup falling is when I have some power on auto during the TP or there is a power that cancels out flying.  (I think there's a couple?)

And all the various binds & macros suggested, make it even better.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:39 AM, lemming said:

Sometime ago they increased the amount of hang time.  I used to think the same, now, I have ages to just aim myself to the next stop.  Only time I windup falling is when I have some power on auto during the TP or there is a power that cancels out flying.  (I think there's a couple?)

And all the various binds & macros suggested, make it even better.

hmmm yeah , a great QOL change teleport "hover" now last way more u have plenty of time to choose where to tp next.

• Like 2