Experienced charges not being awarded

ZephyrWind

I started logging in characters to get the Unforgettable badge and noticed that I was not always getting the anniversary popup or the 5 charges of Experienced (I have a spreadsheet where I track all such things), but I WAS getting the badge.

I thought it was zone related (seemed like I was getting it reliably when I logged into a character in AP, but nowhere else) but on further testing the login zone location seems to be coincidental and it seems to be related to the name timeout warning.

Any character I log in to that shows the name timeout warning is NOT getting the anniversary popup or the 5 charges of experienced, but they are getting the Unforgettable badge. I have tested this on a number of characters (can provide the name list if it will help) on multiple servers (again, can provide if desired).

Anyone else notice this?

I just logged in all my toons, including a couple of level 5 characters who had the name warning, and they all seemed to get the anniversary popup.  I didn't check the charges of Experienced, though.

You're right, and I just tried this in succession:

level 1 character, 44 days since last login, logged in Atlas Park. Selected her, logged in and got the popup, badge AND 5 charges.

Level 24 character, 354 days since last login, logged into AP and no popup, no charges BUT did get the badge.

Something weird is going on with the greater than 6, less than 49 range with respect to the age-out warning and the popup/temp charges. I can reliably duplicate it on characters in that range. I had not tried on a <6, so that was a good test.

I think someone on the dev team should be able to set up this test, something strange is going on.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested. 

edit:

Further testing:

Level 30, 296 days offline, no warning - he got the popup, the badge and the charges

Level 24, 355 days offline, has warning - got badge but NO popup, no charges

Level 1, 357 days offline, has warning - got badge but NO popup, no charges

So now I'm back to being confused. Really does seem to have something to do with how long they have been offline overall, not just if they have the warning or not. A level 1 @ 44 days offline got all three, a different level 1 @ 357 days offline got only the badge, no popup or charges.

Edited by ZephyrWind
  • Thanks 1

I checked another character, level 23 offline for 354 days, just because there was a patch today, but nope - still happening.

I'm sure not a lot of other people track charges of Experienced the way I do, but hasn't anyone else noticed that they sometimes get the popup and sometimes don't? Or am I the only person who has characters in the 6-49 range that have not been on in 300+ days?

edit:

And just checked another, level 32 and 123 days offline so no warning on selection screen and got the popup, badge and charges. Definitely something with the interaction with the date checking stuff. 

Edited by ZephyrWind

• 2 weeks later

If you are logging out in a Day Job location you will not get the Patrol XP recharge. You will only get the reward for that Day Job location.

You must log out in an area that is not designated as a Day Job. 

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

11 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

OP is talking about something else entirely. 

I ignored the pop up anniversary Badge because it doesn’t matter if you ultimately get the badge. The pop up when initially logging on, while exciting is not as important as actually receiving the badge. FYI: That’s a bug that goes back to the secret server days. I attribute it to the Devs not having all the tools they needed to implement some things properly. 

The 5 (actually 10 when logged out long enough) Charges of Patrol XP are given for the Patroller Day Job Badge. You only get that Badge by logging out almost anywhere other than a location designated as a Day Job. If you log out at say, the Tram, you will not receive this Patrol XP. Instead you will receive +Speed Boost. 

Edited by Arc-Mage

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

15 hours ago, Arc-Mage said:

If you are logging out in a Day Job location you will not get the Patrol XP recharge. You will only get the reward for that Day Job location.

You must log out in an area that is not designated as a Day Job. 

2 hours ago, Arc-Mage said:

The 5 (actually 10 when logged out long enough) Charges of Patrol XP are given for the Patroller Day Job Badge. You only get that Badge by logging out almost anywhere other than a location designated as a Day Job. If you log out at say, the Tram, you will not receive this Patrol XP. Instead you will receive +Speed Boost. 

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=temporary_powers.temporary_powers.alt_experienced

This power is supposed to be awarded when a character receives the anniversary badge.  @ZephyrWind is trying to report a bug related to this.  It has nothing to do with day jobs.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

@Luminara Can you point to where it says you get recharge of Patrol XP with the 19th Anniversary Badge? I don’t find it in a search.

If you are supposed to get the recharge maybe the problem is that’s it operating under the Day Job criteria and the 19th Anniversary Badge rules.

Uber’s link only says what I had previously posted. The 5 Charges as opposed to 10 is contrary to what the wiki says.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Patrol_Experience

The wiki also says it’s no longer awarded to toons after they hit lvl 50.

Edited by Arc-Mage

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

3 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

Can you point to where it says you get recharge of Patrol XP with the 19th Anniversary Badge?

It's operated this way for the past 3 years. Every character that logs in during the Anniversary month of May gets the new badge, plus 5 charges of Experienced.

It's not a confusing thing. Go make a fresh level 1 and see for yourself. 

This whole discussion takes away from OP's legitimate bug post. Please stop. 

• Like 1

@twozerofoxtrot It may have operated like that previously but it doesn’t say it is that way this year. No mention of it in the patch notes.

I noticed you didn’t find a link either.

Edited by Arc-Mage
  • Thumbs Down 1

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

25 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

@Luminara Can you point to where it says you get recharge of Patrol XP with the 19th Anniversary Badge? I don’t find it in a search.

screenshot_230510-23-09-33.thumb.jpg.347b334ba4d0faf8a1b3025273363371.jpg

19 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

If you are supposed to get the recharge maybe the problem is that’s it operating under the Day Job criteria and the 19th Anniversary Badge rules.

This has nothing to do with day jobs.  Read the first post.  Read the anniversary badge pop-up.  Read the information on Experienced that I linked from CoD.

32 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

Uber’s link only says what I had previously posted.

No, that is not what the link said.  The link is for the Experienced temporary power.  Experienced is not a day job, it's not acquired through a day job, day job locations are irrelevant to this thread.

47 minutes ago, Arc-Mage said:

The wiki also says it’s no longer awarded to toons after they hit lvl 50.

This is also irrelevant, because the bug report is not about patrol XP, it's about Experienced not being awarded when conditions indicate that it should be.

And the wiki is wrong, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Luminara said:

screenshot_230510-23-09-33.thumb.jpg.347b334ba4d0faf8a1b3025273363371.jpg

This has nothing to do with day jobs.  Read the first post.  Read the anniversary badge pop-up.  Read the information on Experienced that I linked from CoD.

No, that is not what the link said.  The link is for the Experienced temporary power.  Experienced is not a day job, it's not acquired through a day job, day job locations are irrelevant to this thread.

This is also irrelevant, because the bug report is not about patrol XP, it's about Experienced not being awarded when conditions indicate that it should be.

And the wiki is wrong, too.

@Luminara Thank you for the picture. I was referencing the patch notes. As you probably know the patch notes do not mention the "Experienced" 5 charges. 

I feel like I may have not phrased my thoughts properly. The Patroller Day Job Patroller XP and the Anniversary Badge Experienced power do the same thing, they give Patrol XP. My guess is that they just took the code from the Patroller Day Job and tweaked it to the Anniversary Badge Experienced power. 

And yes, They both award Patrol XP. 

From the wiki regarding the Day job Patroller: While on patrol, characters accumulate credit toward Patrol Experience. Characters can gain credit toward Patrol XP

If a toon is lvl 50 or higher they stop interacting with Patrol XP unless they have debt when they log out.  Assuming this rule for the Day Job Patroller works the same as the Experienced power this would explain why a toon would not receive it if they are over lvl 50. 

Further, if a toon lower than lvl 50 already has 10 charges of Patrol XP from the Patroller Badge, before the Anniversary Badge was awarded, they would not receive an additional 5 charges from the of the Experienced power. This is because the maximum number of charges of Patrol XP a toon can have is 10 charges. 

All of this assumes that the Experienced power operates under the same rules as the Day Job Patroller power. 

I'm just offering a possible reason why the OP is not receiving the 5 charges of Experienced.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

1 hour ago, Arc-Mage said:

@Luminara Thank you for the picture. I was referencing the patch notes. As you probably know the patch notes do not mention the "Experienced" 5 charges. 

That the badge pop-up itself says it grants 5 charges of Experienced, and that only characters with extremely long periods of inactivity aren't receiving those charges, indicates that the problem is not a missing patch note, but a bug preventing characters which meet specific conditions from receiving the power.

Get off the patch notes fixation.  This is no more a patch note problem than it is a day job problem.

The Patroller Day Job Patroller XP and the Anniversary Badge Experienced power do the same thing, they give Patrol XP.

The end result is the same, the means is not.  Experienced is a power that grants 5 bars of patrol XP instantly when it is used.  Until Experienced is activated, it's not patrol XP.  It has no more interaction with patrol XP, day jobs or day job locations than the Bow and Arrows temporary power, or the Nemesis Staff temporary power, or any other temporary power which is not directly linked to day jobs.

If a toon is lvl 50 or higher they stop interacting with Patrol XP unless they have debt when they log out.

screenshot_230511-13-58-25.thumb.jpg.637aa25de02c053b890f2b9f8f1ceb59.jpg

If the only way patrol XP benefitted level 50+ characters was debt relief, level 50 characters couldn't accumulate patrol XP.  Right here is proof that they can and do accumulate patrol XP.  I even made sure to screenshot the total so you could see that it's maxed out, 10 full bars worth, the equivalent of one level.  5,608.000 points of patrol XP on my Staff/Willpower with 96 veteran levels.

I can take screenshots of 20 other level 50 characters, all with patrol XP.  Being 50 doesn't restrict a character from receiving patrol XP. 

That wiki, by the way, is the archived version that doesn't include any of the SCoRE- or Homecoming-specific changes.  One of those changes, for instance, was veteran level acquisition being moved to the standard leveling pattern, rather than set temporal intervals (3 months).  We gain veteran levels, one for each level we would otherwise have gained, after hitting 50.  As such, we also now accumulate and use patrol XP on level 50 characters.  The old wiki doesn't reflect that and that's one of the reasons we don't refer to it.  It's sorely outdated.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki <- use that in the future, please.

Further, if a toon lower than lvl 50 already has 10 charges of Patrol XP from the Patroller Badge, before the Anniversary Badge was awarded, they would not receive an additional 5 charges from the of the Experienced power. This is because the maximum number of charges of Patrol XP a toon can have is 10 charges. 

screenshot_230511-14-58-28.thumb.jpg.4cc963b20712633534c50f76d668355a.jpg

This character had been logged out for over 100 days (142, if i recall) before I logged into it to take this screenshot, and has 10 bars of patrol XP waiting to be used.  I received those 5 charges of Experienced when I logged in, as should be evident from the anniversary badge pop-up that I left open for this screenshot.  That's pretty conclusive proof that patrol XP doesn't prevent Experienced from being granted on sub-50 characters.  I have plenty of sub-50 characters that I can take screenshots on if you need more evidence.

You're trying to help, we get it, but this isn't helpful, it's a hindrance, and a diversion from the reported bug.  There is no correlation between patrol XP and the failure of the anniversary badge's Experienced grant.  You've conflated the two erroneously.  Let it go.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, Arc-Mage said:

I feel like I may have not phrased my thoughts properly. The Patroller Day Job Patroller XP and the Anniversary Badge Experienced power do the same thing, they give Patrol XP. My guess is that they just took the code from the Patroller Day Job and tweaked it to the Anniversary Badge Experienced power. 

And yes, They both award Patrol XP. 

If a toon is lvl 50 or higher they stop interacting with Patrol XP unless they have debt when they log out.  Assuming this rule for the Day Job Patroller works the same as the Experienced power this would explain why a toon would not receive it if they are over lvl 50. 

All of this assumes that the Experienced power operates under the same rules as the Day Job Patroller power. 

I'm just offering a possible reason why the OP is not receiving the 5 charges of Experienced.

I don't think your guess along with your need to defend the guess is helping this conversation.

Solution:  Give all characters a bonus award of the xp charges.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

17 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

I don't think your guess along with your need to defend the guess is helping this conversation.

Solution:  Give all characters a bonus award of the xp charges.

Thank you for your opinion.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

First off, thank you to everyone who weighed in on this topic. I appreciate the interest, insight and help.

Second, Luminara is correct. This is not about Patrol XP per se, but about getting awarded charges of the Experienced temp power due to the 19th Anniversary event. The anniversary popup (pictured by Luminara) does say that, as part of the 19th anniversary, you will be awarded 5 charges of the Experienced power. This is the only thing I am contesting.

On all the characters I have tested so far, regardless of level, alignment or location this is what I have determined: If the character has been logged out for around 350 days (I don't have an exact number, but I think it's at the point where a level 6+ would start seeing the warning for name contention) then when you log that character into the game you will NOT see the 19th anniversary popup and you will NOT be awarded the 5 charges of Experienced. You do, however, get the Unforgettable badge.

I don't know if anyone else tracks charges of Experienced for their characters. It just happens to be a column on the spreadsheet I use to track stats for all my characters, so I know how many they have in reserve. 

I don't actually care about the charges of Experienced. I have 30 or so sitting around in my email waiting to be used, and if I want more I will buy more superpacks and get them. The point is that it is not working correctly for some characters, and as far as I can tell, only characters that have not been logged in for a long time, so I think it is somehow tied to the whole name checking logic that was introduced in the past year. For last year's anniversary, every character I logged in got the popup, badge and Experienced charges. That is not true this year.

For anyone that wants to test this, if you have a character that you have not logged in for a long time (as I said, 350+ days), log that character in. Pay attention to the screen as you zone and see if you get the anniversary popup. I think you will not, and you also will not get the 5 charges of Experienced. I'm not sure how you could tell that unless you already knew how many that character should have, but you can check in your powers in the temp powers section and right click on the Experienced power listed there and it will tell you how many charges you have. You will, however, get the Unforgettable badge.

Anyway, I tested it again today on a level 23 character who had been logged out for 371 days. Logged him in, no popup, no additional charges of Experienced (he had 15 already so should have gone up to 20 and did not) but did get the Unforgettable badge.

image.png.ff4523f23fa2d91fc3c6870747c94ca8.png

image.png.cbfc2889eb73fb81cdb271f749720717.png

Edit: can't type

Edited by ZephyrWind

17 hours ago, ZephyrWind said:

Weird. I can reproduce this very reliably. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

It’s not just you. After having it explained to me in child like terms I finally understood. I had a few toons not logged in in as little as 21 days that did not receive the temp power either. 

Honestly however, I don’t feel that it’s a big deal because there are other powers in game that do the same thing. I totally get wanting everything you should be awarded but this Temp power just isn’t a major item….at least to me.

Edited by Arc-Mage

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

This has been an issue for years. See my notes on last years thread reporting the same issue:

My hypothesis has been that it happens on characters who haven’t logged in since last anniversary and the check to see if they have this year’s charges gets a false positive on last year’s grant, though I have some that haven’t gotten in the past 3 years, but only log in once/year. This works well with your 350 day idea.

I encounter it frequently as well, but can’t narrow down the exact conditions it occurs since there are limited testing opportunities. There must be something specific the OP and I do that triggers it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Perfect Square said:

This has been an issue for years. See my notes on last years thread reporting the same issue:

My hypothesis has been that it happens on characters who haven’t logged in since last anniversary and the check to see if they have this year’s charges gets a false positive on last year’s grant, though I have some that haven’t gotten in the past 3 years, but only log in once/year. This works well with your 350 day idea.

I encounter it frequently as well, but can’t narrow down the exact conditions it occurs since there are limited testing opportunities. There must be something specific the OP and I do that triggers it.

Could very well be. According to my spreadsheet I got it on all my characters last anniversary, but it's entirely possible that all of them were within the day range of time logged out to receive it. I don't keep detailed enough history to know for sure, though.

Helps just to know it's not me and that this is at least a known issue. I should sharpen my search-fu so I could have found yor poast from last year and not double-posted it. 

Anyhow, thanks all for the suggestions and help. I'm off to log the rest of my characters in and not worry about the temp power...and write a function into my spreadsheet to remind me to log them in around 300 days offline...just in case.