Best Secondary for Plant/- Dom?

Mir2

I started a Plant/Earth Dom a year ago, but cannot remember why (if for any reason), I chose Earth.  I think it was because I wanted the extra CC from KB/KU and the extended confuse duration from Power Boost.

Before I invest the time to hit 50 and level incarnates, I'd like to know the consensus on what a decent Secondary actually is.  In case it matters, I envision going up to Mobs, confusing, and staying in melee (or at least w/in 20) to do damage.  I would usually be in a team for this, so solo isn't much of a concern.

Thanks for any advice.  

earth is a good one. but you can't beat the theme with thorns!

you get ranged, a final nuke that does three-hit knockback, toxic dots on the attacks, a pbaoe spine burst.

plus, you dont have to wait for the things to pop out anymore, and can stay all thorny.

slotting wise, you have much opportunity for variance in thorns!  so, purple sets can be stacked up which will help you get that nice recharge on 5x in a power, and help once your incarnates push you above the regular diminishing returns on enhancement diversity.

energy is good too, it used to be a fashion, but has a single target focus I can't get behind in today's overmobbed paragon city.

savage is exceptional, the teleport is nice.

but, ya, I'd recommend thorns!

I have seen a lot of /savage.  Why is that considered exceptional?

If I am understanding correctly;

Earth = some more CC, but probably not needed with all the confuse.

Thorn = more damage (and obviously thematic)

Savage = ???; (step three; profit?)

the blood fury mechanic gives you recharge and puffs up your abilities when you consume them. like the pbaoe you can do gets bigger and strong if your at max stacks (the button will light up to prompt you).  the hawk power is similar, powering up at 5 stacks of blood fury.

you get a punchy heal+hot available every 2m base if i recall, and a teleport to mob aoe rhat does more damage if youre far away when you use it.

plus, you can throw an unkindness of ravens flock at your foes.

On 5/8/2023 at 10:13 AM, Mir2 said:

Earth = some more CC, but probably not needed with all the confuse.

Earth does an absolute truckload of single target damage. This is probably why you took it in the first place. Heavy Mallet and Seismic Smash are strong both straight slotted or procd out (you should be able to hit about 1k damage per activation on a good Seismic Smash).

Fissure is also a sleeper hit proc bomb. I know it doesn't seem like it should be but like Upthrust from Seismic Blast it has some x-factor (projectile speed?) that's not counted for in Mids.

Plant/Psi is a beast for a reason: +Regen +Rec, different damage type, nice AoEs, some skippable powers.

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

On 5/7/2023 at 8:40 PM, Mir2 said:

I started a Plant/Earth Dom a year ago, but cannot remember why (if for any reason), I chose Earth.  I think it was because I wanted the extra CC from KB/KU and the extended confuse duration from Power Boost.

Before I invest the time to hit 50 and level incarnates, I'd like to know the consensus on what a decent Secondary actually is.  In case it matters, I envision going up to Mobs, confusing, and staying in melee (or at least w/in 20) to do damage.  I would usually be in a team for this, so solo isn't much of a concern.

Thanks for any advice.  

Dark Assault is absolutely amazing, besides hitting hard, it is the best utility assault set in the game for dominators.   The runner up for utility is ....

---> Psi Assault is very good, and Drain Psych is simply ... well, nothing compares to it at all.  

Energy hits extremely hard as well. 

The new Thorns is now good 

Earth is the true king of smash and a good additional control , even soft control , too 

Edited by Voltak